Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:38 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyna vibration

Except for some normal vibration under 2000 rpm's, mine smooth as it gets especially OVER 70 MPH. I cruise at 80-90 for long distances. Sounds like some alignment issues of the iso system. Easy enough the fix yourself at the next service.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
meatballs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this would help out with some of your vibration problems, but it might be worth a try. I found this thread on another web site. It's a pretty cheap/quick fix and it really seems to make sense.

GO HERE

Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant seem to get to your site.so does evrybody else run fifty mph in fith gear with no probs?

Old 04-18-2006, 05:23 PM
meatballs
Intermediate

This was posted on v-twinforum by 84FXRP. When I try to link to the thread part of the URL is deleted.

"Sorry for the long post, but I have cured my Dyna’s vibration problem for about $10 in materials and I thought others might benefit from my approach.

I have a 2005 FXDI with a HD 95 inch Stage I kit.

Like some others on the Forum, my bike had, what I consider, excessive engine vibration transmitted to the handlebar, foot pegs, and seat. The vibration was especially evident below 3000 rpm. At idle, the handlebars jumped around excessively.

I followed the Service Manual procedure for vehicle alignment in an attempt to reduce the vibration. Alignment includes loosening (but NOT removing) ALL the motor mount attachment bolts, and then running the motor for 5 seconds during which allow the mounts to align themselves to the frame. The motor mount attachment bolts are then retorqued to spec. The procedure helped a little, but did not cure the problem. I also looked at other changes that might address the vibration problem such as “Bar Snake”, different length handlebars, handlebar mount bushings, etc. All these are Band-Aids on the fundamental problem of too much vibration.

A few weeks later I was thinking about the motor mounts and the alignment procedure and was struck by the cause/cure of the vibration problem. Any elastic motor mount, like the Dyna’s, has a limit to how much vibration it can absorb. Engine movement in excess of this limit is transmitted through the frame to the handlebars, foot pegs, seat, etc as vibration.

What struck me was that when I did the alignment procedure and the mounting bolts were LOOSE, there was a gap between the mount and the frame. Tightening the mounting bolts caused my front motor mount to be PULLED forward to the frame as the mounting bolts were tightened. I noticed that when the mounting bolts were torqued, the frame was also deflected somewhat.

THE ELASTIC TRAVEL OF MY MOTOR MOUNTS WAS LARGELY USED UP JUST BY BOLTING THE MOTOR MOUNT TO THE FRAME.

Any movement of the motor would not be absorbed by the mount – the elasticity of the mount is already used up before the motor is even started. Hence any engine movement is transmitted to the frame and is felt as a vibration. This would also explain premature failure of Dyna motor mounts – they are under stress to begin with.

My solution was to shim the gap between the UNSTRESSED front motor mount and the frame. THE ENTIRE INHERENT ELASTICITY OF THE MOUNTS IS NOW AVAILABLE TO ABSORB ENGINE MOTION. MY VIBRATION PROBLEM WAS GONE!

EDIT ---------

Try this site for photos: http://spotks.blogspot.com/

EDIT --------

Picture “A” shows the gap between the unstressed front motor mount and the frame of my bike – it is almost 0.2 inches. The solution is to shim this gap.

Picture “B” shows my test where I used washers as shims to test my theory. Result - excessive vibration is GONE. The bike is very smooth and the handlebars don’t jump around at idle.

Picture “C” shows the final result. I cut some brass shim stock to fit and used longer bolts to accommodate the shim’s thickness.

Picture “D” shows a scissors jack and block of wood I used to hold the engine up when I had the mounting bolts removed. I had my wife steady the bike and hold it level while I worked on the mount.

Picture “E” shows the shim stock I made and the bolts I used. The stock HD fasteners for the motor mounts are chrome plated, grade 8, socket head screws, 3/8 inch – 16 tpi – and 1 1/8 inches long. [CORRECTION: THE 2005 PARTS MANUAL LISTS THE BOLT LENGTH AS 1 1/8 INCH, THE MEASURED LENGTH IS 1 1/4 INCH] I obtained quality grade 8 bolts, (local caterpillar dealer) slightly longer than stock, to accommodate the shims and still retain the same purchase in the mount

EDIT ---------------

See "Thorns" great suggestion at post #30 to simplify this process.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
fl_799
Road Master

50 MPH is 5th is at one of those transistion points and not really in the 'sweet spot' to avoid some vibes. I run a gear low. I don't shift into 6th until a little over 60mph either.

I've owned two solid mount HD's and the worst dyna with a broken forward engine mount Dyna is smooth as butter in comparison but the Dyna still lets you know there's an unbalanced 45 degree American V-twin under there. I read a nice article in Cycle World about the new 06 Dyna chassis development. The engineer's interviewed were keen to point out that they could easily 'dial out' every single bit of vibration on the FXD chassis but the slight vibration and the clunk when you shift into gear are still 'character quirks' that most HD owners want to have in their bikes. It's what makes these bikes Harley's....lots of feedback and rider involvement. You learn to ride around them and accept them. Personally, I hope the moco does not dilute these bikes any furthur! Some would say the Softail's 'B' motor went too far in that direction.

Vibration and solid mounted motor....I'd buy another Shovel and EVO in a heartbeat.

ORIGINAL: DyNaBoB

cant seem to get to your site.so does evrybody else run fifty mph in fith gear with no probs?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser

My 06 Dyna is smooth as glass at all speeds no windshield and I ride on the interstate at 80+ regularly with no probs at all. No vibration either. The sewing machine sound is just the engine being cold usually and the bike being a bit lean. Also keep in mind that the super quite stock pipes allow you to hear stuff you would usually never catch with louder pipes.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bike didnt start doing this untill i put the mods on even at 60 in sixth gear is bad i dont even like the ride anymore and hell if my wife will get on the back

Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 PM
fl_799
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DyNaBoB

.....and hell if my wife will get on the back
Is that so bad?....how you gonna bag chicks down at the bar with the old lady in tow?

Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Dynabob sell the bike to me at a discount since you wont be using it anymore.

My bike vibrates around 20mph and thats it I feel its a tire balance issue and will eventually have it looked at.

steve

Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Corby Sherriff Carmichael
Stage I
Default 2014 streetbob viberation

Hey guys new to the forum. I bought a 2014 street Bob a few years ago. Was almost new when I bought it. It has around 16000km on it. New tires and full service this spring. I had a bit of a wobble on high speed left hand turns so they went through the whole front end and head set.. nothing I'm figuring tires were the culprit. And the new tires fixed it. Anyways few days ago bout 40 km from home on a 300km ride noticed a bit of a vibration. But went away. Got to destination. Turned around bout have way home it came back and wouldn't go away. Started messing with things on the road.. pulling the clutch in and rolling at an idle.. nothing... rev the motor. There it is. And not just through the "normal" dyna vibration range. But as soon as I hit the gas it's there and just get faster through the whole range.
So first thought was motor mount. So picked a new one today. Put it in... the old one looked pretty beat up. Fired it up... still shakes from idle to full throttle... guys at the shop are great but they are busy for a few days and I've got only a few days off a month and wanna take advantage.. any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old and new

Quick Reply: Dyna vibration