Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperBrace: Are you have your Dyna group buy/sale this month, as previously stated?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Well you are only one of about 20 of us that the brace did anything for. Its was the worst of my numerous mods in terms of performance. I suspect there was something really wrong or worn with your bike that this brace fixed/covered up or that the fork oil itself made the difference. Did you by chance do both at the same time? There was absolutely nothing this brace did for us... except that it may look cool to some. Potential buyers with 49 and 41 forks may want to search this forum for the discussion. It is a quick easy mod, but something like a True-Track or Sputhe chassis stabilizer or even stiffer fork oil will be more bang for your buck.... not saying much I guess.
Yea, I fall into that category that the brace did nothing for my bike...it's a well made piece, but IMO, the 49mm forks have very little if any fork flex to begin with.

I did a before and after comparison not once, but twice and never felt any difference...so I took it off and did away with about 1 1/2 lbs of not needed unsprung weight.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well you are only one of about 20 of us that the brace did anything for. Its was the worst of my numerous mods in terms of performance. I suspect there was something really wrong or worn with your bike that this brace fixed/covered up or that the fork oil itself made the difference. Did you by chance do both at the same time? There was absolutely nothing this brace did for us... except that it may look cool to some. Potential buyers with 49 and 41 forks may want to search this forum for the discussion. It is a quick easy mod, but something like a True-Track or Sputhe chassis stabilizer or even stiffer fork oil will be more bang for your buck.... not saying much I guess.
Hmm.. I remember quite a few people speaking highly of the SB. That was the reason I got mine. Lotta lotta lotta people saying how awesome it was.. and a lotta them even had the 49mm forks. So maybe it just affects your riding style perhaps?

I did the SE fork oil seperate from the superbrace. so that couldn't have been it.

Well, regardless, I still highly recommend this product to anyone with a motorcycle..

Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 AM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I took it out for a spin last evening to try to get a wobble in the front end. By that I mean I tried to hit corners at speed (50+), trying to hit the road imperfections. No wobble, so success for the Superbrace.

But I guess only time will tell. For instance this Summer I only felt the wobble 2-3 times.

Which for me is the answer to the 'it didn't do anything for me' argument. I don't think this product is the type that one would notice but maybe 1% of the time when certain conditions add up. So yeah I spent $175 on something that will only effect the ride of my bike 2-3 times a year for a couple of seconds.

But those 2-3 times I am typically in multi-lane traffic going 70, cornering next to a concrete barrier. I don't want any wobbles in my front end then!

Steve

Old 10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
Well I took it out for a spin last evening to try to get a wobble in the front end. By that I mean I tried to hit corners at speed (50+), trying to hit the road imperfections. No wobble, so success for the Superbrace.

But I guess only time will tell. For instance this Summer I only felt the wobble 2-3 times.

Which for me is the answer to the 'it didn't do anything for me' argument. I don't think this product is the type that one would notice but maybe 1% of the time when certain conditions add up. So yeah I spent $175 on something that will only effect the ride of my bike 2-3 times a year for a couple of seconds.

But those 2-3 times I am typically in multi-lane traffic going 70, cornering next to a concrete barrier. I don't want any wobbles in my front end then!

Steve
Glad to see it has helped your ride....the "it didn't do anything for me" isn't or shouldn't be an argument though, rather giving the facts for a particular bike. Wait, I did say IMO the 49mm forks have very little or no fork flex to warrant a fork brace... I guess I shoulda' said results may vary.

The only issues I have with my bike is that the fork springs are too soft...I'll eventually put in a bit heavier fork oil to firm it up.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Hmm.. I remember quite a few people speaking highly of the SB. That was the reason I got mine. Lotta lotta lotta people saying how awesome it was.. and a lotta them even had the 49mm forks. So maybe it just affects your riding style perhaps?

I did the SE fork oil seperate from the superbrace. so that couldn't have been it.

Well, regardless, I still highly recommend this product to anyone with a motorcycle..
I'm just saying that I wanted to relay that there is a significantly different point of view here and to recommend more research. If you think the brace is for you, purchase one, it certainly won't hurt.

I saw the same advice here months ago as well as receiving it from my neighbor. Rave reviews on this forum from a few, certainly not a lotta. Looking back, a lot of it was relative to older bikes and anecdotal, perhaps some of it was fan boyish. After I made the comment here that I saw no difference in aggressive riding and on bumpy roads, several responded that I shouldn't expect to see any with Dyna 49mm forks.

Then I double checked over on some of the more technical and suspension forums and the consensus there was that the brace didn't hurt but certainly did nothing for modern 49mm dynas, perhaps strong words but that's what they said. It may also be of questionable use on modern 41mm bikes. If you have an occasional wobble, a fork brace is not going to help it, sorry. Fork oil, ricors, adjusting levels, fall away adjustments, tires all can help fix a sloppy front end. I hear that some riders attribute a wobble to the front end where in fact its coming from rear end deflection.

The neighbor mentioned that he was chastised by his numerous Harley riding friends for giving the new kid bad advice. They say fork brace recommendations are left over from the older and smaller fork time, just not necessary today. Just saying that if you saw significant difference on a recent 49mm bike, it seems to be an exception. You may have something else amiss that the brace is covering up for you.

I would not recommend these if you are expecting any improvements other than a placebo effect... sorry if that seems condescending.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:53 PM
yso191
Club Member

sorry if that seems condescending.
Not at all. I like it when people actually give resons for their conclusions. You may well be right. My approach is to do all I can to get my bike spot on in every respect. My target is the best (since perfection is unrealistic). I fully expect there will be some 'unnecessary' mods while trying to do it with research and thoughtfulness. The True-Track is set for the 15th...

Steve

Last edited by yso191; 10-03-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
SuperBrace
Banned

There is some confusion with the link provided earlier, so below is some clearity. - SuperBrace.com

1. CLICK HERE: http://www.superbrace.com/products.asp?cat=10

2. FIND YOUR BIKE & SUPERBRACE

3. PLACE ORDER WITH YOUR BILLING & SHIPPING INFO

4. ENTER “dyna” IN THE DISCOUNT/COUPON CODE

5. YOU’RE DONE!!!