Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires, what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New tires, what to get?

I have an 03 Wide glide. I ran into another guy over the summer who had a wideglide with a slightly larger/taller front tire on it. It looked pretty good cause it filled the fender alittle better. Anybody have any idea what size tire it may have been? Mine is a MH90-21

What is the widest rear tire that can be thrown on a 03 wideglide without troubles? It currently has a 150-80-16. I just recently ordered 12" 412's so the rear will be slightly lower and I dont want to run into rubbing issues.

Right now my brand choices are between Avon's and Metzeler (Thanks for the advice Joe!) If you would like to throw in your opinion/results on what you have, that would be great!

Thanks guys!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Anybody?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:53 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with the Metzler 880s soon. I haven't tried them yet though.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

I'm on my second set of Avons and haven't considered anything else. Lots of folks like the Metzlers too.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
apbtlvr
Road Captain

Metzler ME880 is all I'll ever run now. The others I tried were the OEM Dunlops and the SE version Dunlops. The Metzlers beat both of them hands down.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as your front tire goes, I'd imagine that guy lowered his fender as 90/21 is a pretty big tire. I have run Dunlops, Metzler's and Avon's. You will not get as much mileage on metzler's or avon's, but they stick to the road like glue. I like them both. I currently have avon's and find the stickiness factor about the same as the metzlers. I have an 02 and run a 150 in the rear. You should be fine with bike lowered 1". Check out american moto tire for the best prices around. To save even more take your wheels off and take them to have the tires mounted or do it yourself.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by anubisss
To save even more take your wheels off and take them to have the tires mounted or do it yourself.
Thats not going to be an issue https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tear-down.html

Thanks for the info!. I was looking to go wider that stock on the rear, but I don't think I have the room to go any wider.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
wide06glide
Advanced

I just had Michelins mounted after i pulled the wheels...figger'd i'll save almost $300 by pulling the wheels, reusing the rimbands & tubes (HD insisted on replacing), and having the tires R&R'd and balanced by an indy ($65 total). Will report when i get the wheels back on, and a few miles logged.

Last edited by wide06glide; 03-04-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avon Venom! Love 'em...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metzeler 880's are a significant improvement over the Dunlops and it is more than slightly noticeable on my Dyna. The same type of differences touted on this forum from those who have installed "True-Trac" stabilizers, I achieved with the Metzelers! The bike was like a different machine with the Metzelers installed. Driving on uneven pavement surfaces, transitioning between them, stability in curves, sure-footedness all resulted after I installed the Metz's.

It was like night and day between the factory Dunlops and the 880's. You have to run them with slightly higher inflation pressures due to the bead on the rims, but there seems to be no more feel of the bumps with a bit harder of a tire. The improved handling just overshadows anything anyway!! My only regret is that I didn't install them before making the trip out to Sturgis and back last year.

I was considering getting the True Trac stabilizers insatlled in Sturgis - they had a vendor set-up right at the campground, but figured I would wait until after getting home. If the install was bad, or I didn't like the result, I would have had to live with it for 1900 miles!!! Once I got home and replaced the tires, my desire for the True Trac faded quickly.

Go with the Metz's - you'll be gald ya did...just tel 'em FlyNavy sent ya!!

Quick Reply: New tires, what to get?