Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   just wondering (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/330102-just-wondering.html)

scampman_73 03-23-2009 05:03 PM

just wondering

i was dinking around looking at suspension options at "onestopmoto.com" and saw they had some PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION AirTail I.A.S. Shocks (p/n 740-1002C) and they are $999. holy sh*&. are they really that good, or are they just new? i have no intensions to buy a grand worth of suspension and have a hard time believing that anyone would.

MuddBugg 03-23-2009 05:30 PM

hmmm... i.a.s.? ... is that the same technolgy that the ricor front fork things use? the ones everyone is so impressed with?... if they were that good and maybe came with a lifetime warrenty i would consider... better than buyin shock after shock tryin to get a good set...

madden23 03-23-2009 07:42 PM

Yes, it is the same technology, but Ricor has no control over what Progressive does with said technology, they are licensed to use it. Having had progressive 440's which use IAS and the Ricor IAS valves in the front forks, it works in the front as advertised, the 440's are gone,and I was glad to see them go, that just about sums that up. And quality rear shocks will set you back anywhere from 700.00-1400.00, so 1K is not out of line, however since I'm not A Progressive fan,I would only try them on my bike if they paid me to do so and the shocks were free.

gregbenner 03-23-2009 10:53 PM

It probably depends on what is important. I actually know of guys who have spent that much on chrome:eek:

I have also heard of guys spending that much on heads? Even more on engne work....all this on a bike that doesn't really handle well stock. :D

I too have had poor luck with Progressive shocks. I now have Ohlins, and they are as advertised...best mod I have done to the FXD by far.

Originally Posted by scampman_73 (Post 4750683)
i have no intensions to buy a grand worth of suspension and have a hard time believing that anyone would.

Ricor Shocks 03-24-2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by gregbenner (Post 4752912)
It probably depends on what is important. I actually know of guys who have spent that much on chrome:eek:

I have also heard of guys spending that much on heads? Even more on engne work....all this on a bike that doesn't really handle well stock. :D

I too have had poor luck with Progressive shocks. I now have Ohlins, and they are as advertised...best mod I have done to the FXD by far.

You must not have installed your Intiminators yet! :D

All kidding aside, Ohlins does make an excellent product.

We'll have something on the market to compete with them in the near future.

Brian

MuddBugg 03-24-2009 12:34 PM

it would be nice to have an alternative to progressives... have heard good and bad about them, i guess FOR THE PRICE they probably aint bad... and yes, a 1000 bucks is a lot to spend on a set rear shocks, but if the alternative is crap, whatcha gonna do? im guessing a decent set of progressives are about 400-500, a totally acceptable price range.. i could swing that a whole lot easier than 1,000... if ricor did come out with a nice rear shock for NOT MUCH MORE 500 i would be totally interested...