Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me your thoughts on traveling alone

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM
jrsmith_80
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me your thoughts on traveling alone

Well, I have alot of free time on my hands right now and am thinking about taking the bike for a nice long trip, 2000-3000 miles. What are your guys thoughts on doing this alone? I usually would be against it but since I am the only one that has this kind of time right now I would like to do it. Would you guys travel alone on the bike? My wife says get the hell outta here(in a sweet loving way) but I am just not sure.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I've done it.... no problem. Took a 2700 miler several years ago. Just make sure your bike is up to snuff before you head out. Get an atlas and plan your ride out.

I took a tent and sleeping bag, and stayed in national parks for most of the trip along the way. I did stay in motel when the temp dropped to 25 degrees during one leg

Be smart about it, and know where you are, and where you're going and give yourself enough time to get there.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
MuddBugg
Cruiser

be sure to let others know where ya are and where you should be next...

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I have no problem with it. Depending on where you are staying may determine what home defense you bring with you on the road.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
jake.h
Tourer

Geez, if I was paralyzed by what "could happen," I probably wouldn't ride a motorcycle. Git yer a** on that bike and ride for the rest of us schleps stuck at a desk. Bring yer dam cell phone if you wanna.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
Yep, I have no problem with it. Depending on where you are staying may determine what home defense you bring with you on the road.
sorry I didn't mention that..... that's kind of a given in my book.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep a bike with a good buddy in England (I am retired, he still works). I have traveled in England and France alone. Initially had concern, as do you, particularly since in foreign countries. However, it has been an absolute blast. I found i met more people when I am alone...lots of really interesting meetings.

I do take my computer so I stay in touch....

Try it, I think you will love it.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM
stell55chevy
Road Master

i agree. bring some "home defense" and hit the road. planning on doing the same myself here in a month.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd do it, I just never have the time to go that far these days. However, some of this may a bit morbid but you should be prepared. Be sure you have something on you that would tell someone who to contact 24/7 in case of emergency. Make sure you have an outline, at least, of where you are going and when you'll be there. Have good directions with you. Make sure you are covered everywhere you are going with roadside assistance, if needed, and know who to contact. And carry a cell phone and keep it charged all along the way.

I enjoy riding with friends but I also enjoy riding alone. As long as you have a good plan and are covered for help if you happen to need it, go for it.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I prefer to travel with company most of the time, but if I had the free time I would have no reservations about going it alone. Sometimes its nice to get out on your own with know one to bother you, and just do what you want, when you want.

Quick Reply: Give me your thoughts on traveling alone