Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's my awsome HD sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
1NewHDGuy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's my awsome HD sound!

Ok guys and gals. Here is what I've done to my 2009 Dyna Superglide's exhaust.

Day one I got the Stage 1 mapping download. Later that night I installed myself the Vance & Hines Straight Shot slip-ons with quiet baffles.

A few days later I had someone change out the airflow system to the Screaming Eagle.

The download was done by the dealership of course, I installed the pipes myself, and several days later I had a shop replace the airfilter. They checked my work and to my amazement it was done correctly.

Right away they were alot louder than the stock pipes. However, they don't sound as great as I thought they might.

It almost seems that the engine is running a bit 'racier' than I thought it would. It's got an ok sound but not what I expected from hearing other bikes.

Am I missing something or is there something else I need to do? Perhaps the quiet baffles take away from the deep throaty HD sound?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Give the pipes a chance to break in. The sound WILL change.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry dude - that's an extra $1000 bolt-on.

That's no help, sorry!

A lot of board members go to Big City Thunder baffles, but as kk6pg points out, give it a little time for the new exhaust to burn in.

Last edited by Ratbob; 05-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should get some BCT baffles in there and you should be fine.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel injected twin cam motors idle a LOT smoother that most other Harley motors. You can change in by doing cam replacements or an entire stage II , but it is still going to idle somewhat smoother than an EVO, or older motor.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM
SuperG
Cruiser

You can get some Bct baffles or a complete exhaust system. Or if you want
more try some straight fishtail upsweeps pipes, that should add some sound for sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of those other bikes you've heard were you riding when you listened to them? And have you listened to your bike with someone else riding it?

I think we sometimes don't realize that a Harley is going to sound different to the rider than it does to bystanders. We hear a good sounding bike and think "I wish my bike sounded like that" when in fact it may sound that good or better--we just don't get to hear it from the vantage point of a bystander.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,341 Likes on 2,368 Posts

Listening to my 02 carb TC and my 05 EFI TC at 1000 rpm there is a big difference in the exhaust tone and sound. Both bikes have the same slip-ons. The 02 does have the better sound but instead of potato potato it's more like rutabaga rutabaga. The shovels and EVO's have their own sound.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Listening to my 02 carb TC and my 05 EFI TC at 1000 rpm there is a big difference in the exhaust tone and sound. Both bikes have the same slip-ons. The 02 does have the better sound but instead of potato potato it's more like rutabaga rutabaga. The shovels and EVO's have their own sound.

You must have used the wrong fertilizer.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
dmercer
Cruiser

You didn't mention the reason for switching to the quiet baffles. From what I've heard, they take some of the sharpness off the sound of the pipes. If you still have the standard baffles, throw those in and try them for a couple hundred miles and see if you like them better.

Like others said, they'll change in sound over a few thousand miles as the baffles get some carbon built up in them.

Also like others said, have someone else take your bike down the parkway. I had Samson Slashers on my Sportster, and I knew they were loud, but I had no idea I could hear them from 2 blocks away when my buddy got on the throttle.

Quick Reply: Where's my awsome HD sound!