Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video clip of my modified muffs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video clip of my modified muffs

If you've perused this thread you are aware of how I originally modified a set of 09 Street Bob muffs by removing the original baffles and replacing them with a set of Cycle Shack baffles made to fit Screamin' Eagle Street Performance muffles. It's a pretty straight forward mod that yields amazing results. But because the diverter tang on the CS baffles is not completely closed off, it allows some of the exhaust to flow straight through. At anything over 1/3 throttle the result is an ear-splitting exhaust roar that got to be too much for me. So I took the baffles to a local exhaust shop that does custom fabrications and got them to weld a piece in to seal the diverter tang so that ALL the exhaust is now diverted into the muffler can; none goes straight through.

I put the re-modified muffs on my bike over a week ago but today is the first rain-free day we've had since then so I was able to test them out. I purposely left out the glass packing this time, and as expected I'm getting a lot more high frequencies than before. Where the original mod yielded an exhaust sound very deep and rumbly like Rhinehart mufflers, they now sound more like V&H Straight Shots. Still plenty deep, but with a good dose of that drag pipe crackle that V&H muffs deliver up in spades.

These are plenty loud, but closing off the diverter tang did accomplish what I wanted: it took the "bite" out of the "bark" when you really get into the throttle. It still has a substantial bark, just not as loud. So far, I'm pleased.

Edit: Vid clip is a before and after showing the difference in the sound with and without some glass packing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq4fla_idZs

Last edited by Gary7; 05-12-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Change video link
Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If I could view vids while on enterprise network, I'd watch but alas the network admins just think its not a good idea. Glad it worked out for you. You're really the only one that needs to be happy when it comes to your bike.

By the way, I had a chance to hit that lake on Tues night. Interesting ride to say the least.

[EDIT] I'm home and listened to the vid. Sounds good man. Congrats.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-07-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:15 PM
pchrcane65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good man like it.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! Thats not bad at all! And those stock street bob muffs from 09's look great! Damn good mod if you ask me! Thats the way to do things.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

And the best part is when someone asks you where you got them you can tell them,"my garage"

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Exavier22003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work man, I have and 08 FXDB and want the 09 pipes. I like the look with out the taper.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Wow! Thats not bad at all! And those stock street bob muffs from 09's look great! Damn good mod if you ask me! Thats the way to do things.
The 09 Bob muffs really look good with the 1-7/8" exhaust opening rather than that puny 1-3/8" of the stock baffles.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Interesting exhaust note Gary.... don't think I've heard one like that on video.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Interesting exhaust note Gary.... don't think I've heard one like that on video.
It's deeper sounding in person. The microphone doesn't capture the deep tones as well as it does the highs.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
It's deeper sounding in person. The microphone doesn't capture the deep tones as well as it does the highs.
Oh, I know.... basic video cameras and such just don't have the low end frequency response to capture the low end. Why I stated "on video", just as a comparative statement sort of thing. Still has a unique sound.

Quick Reply: Video clip of my modified muffs