Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 AM
CoonersSG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark knock

Hey everyone, I am getting spark knock from my 09 Superglide Custom. I have noticed it since I bought the bike. I asked the dealer what I can do and they said put a race tuner on it. I wasn't happy with the dealer I bought the bike from so I bought my wife's bike from a different dealer and had my Vance and Hines BSS and race tuner installed at that same dealer. Spent a lot of money as you can imagine and the spark knock is just as bad if not worse. Seems to be worse when it's hot.

Is it normal to have spark knock? Last bike I had that had spark knock pre-ignited. Should I bring it back and have them look at it? We live in Colorado and with the altitude, I have heard it can be an issue. I have been told the gas here is not as good as lower elevations. Just doesn't seem like that many other riders around here are having this problem.

Should I bring it back to the dealer and have them put the tuner back on?

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Being still under warranty, I'd sure take it back to them and have them make it right. I'm a bit foggy with your terminology "spark knock". My brain wants to equate it to "pinging" or "pre-ignition" (I can get my brain wrapped around these). If we're talking about the same thing, I'd first try experimenting with different brands of gas and/or octane booster (maybe even some 110LL from a nearby airfield), then a colder sparkplug, finally some kind of tuning gadget; SERT, PC-V, etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

What is "spark knock"?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CoonersDyna
Is it normal to have spark knock?
No, it's not normal.
So, you probably need to give more details on exactly what conditions your riding in that is causing this "spark knock".

Give as many details as possible to describe exactly what is going on, and what your doing at the time, like what gear your in, load on bike, etc.

Some pretty smart guys here if given enough information.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by domenicp7
Thanks for the info. Now I think the old 96 Dakota work truck has spark knock.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine knocks a little under 1 condition. I am cruising at low rpm and twist full throttle when it is very hot out (90+ deg.) without downshifting. Anyways it is very common for riders to ride at too low rpm with the six speed. This can cause the problems you speak of when you get on the throttle. Roll the throttle more gently, or downshift so you don't put too much stress on the motor at low rpm's.

Last edited by rounder; 05-18-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Being at higher altitude, you're going to be running just a bit leaner than if you were at sea level. Find the highest octane pump gas you can find, keep your rpms up, and make sure you are running synthetic oil.

Maybe a set XIEDs along with the tuner will be your answer. Your mileage will suffer, but better mileage than a piston top.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Being at higher altitude, you're going to be running just a bit leaner than if you were at sea level.
I don't think that is correct.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:21 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Well theoretically, the ECM should be able to remove timing to keep it from knocking, but the bike will have much less power, because less fuel.... no..... wait..... higher altitude will use a bit more fuel, (less power and worse mileage).

Rounder thanks for making think about that again

Quick Reply: Spark knock