Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:48 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Tires are what connect you to the road. As far as I am concerned, they are the most most important safety feature on a bike besides brakes. Stock tires work "fine", yes, but once you try something stickier you will ask yourself how you ever rode on those other tires. My estimates for pressure are appoximations and yes the pressure on the side of the tire is Max pressure. A lot of people complain about poor mileage. If so, up your pressure. as simple as that. If your only concern is mileage stick with a harder tire as it will usually last a bit longer. I like to feel stuck to the road as well. Coming from a sport bike background really made me aware of this.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My FB has quite a bit more steam than it did when stock and I use it pretty liberally. Pounded the bike to its limits during a week on the Dragon at Deal's Gap... several dozen runs over the course of 4 riding weekdays. The stock 427's performed amazingly well both wet and dry. There are no unused sides of either the front or back tires, the bike is raised and the ends of both footpegs are completely ground thru and off. Couldn't ask for more from the tires, unless I raise it another inch, which I intend to do.
Oh, BTW just coming up on 10,000 miles and the rear is just about ready for a change.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:23 PM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dunlop K591 is listed as a sport touring tire and it seems to be softer than some of the other Harley Dunlop tires. I have 6k on mine, ride mostly 2up by the end of next month I'm going to have to replace it.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pugs, I don't see anywhere in this thread just what your tread depth is. It might not be a bad idea to measure it for yourself before dropping 300 clams on a new set of meats. Does your rear tire look excessively worn? If it was my dealer I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried to sell me a set of tires that I didn't need!

Also you say most of your riding is on country roads. The road surface will play a big factor in tire wear. Out here in the NW the back roads are mostly smooth blacktop (relatively easy on tires), but when I lived in Texas they were a much rougher surface, almost like an exposed aggregate (much harder on tires).

There's no substitute for having good rubber, but don't let the stealer sell you something you don't really need!

just my 2c

Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
There's no substitute for having good rubber, but don't let the stealer sell you something you don't really need!
I wish I would have heard this advice when I was still a teenager and made a trip to the gas station restroom to buy my first rubber.
I didn't know much about them since it was my first time and the mechanic at the gas station told me to buy the Magnum Edible Glow in the Dark Sheepskin Resorvoir Tip French Tickler with Spermacide Action Fluid. Cost me a pretty penny and after all that the bitch I was with refused to let me have my way so I ended up dry humping the sofa with it on and it ripped on one of the cushion seams. Money down the damn drain.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I wish I would have heard this advice when I was still a teenager and made a trip to the gas station restroom to buy my first rubber.
I didn't know much about them since it was my first time and the mechanic at the gas station told me to buy the Magnum Edible Glow in the Dark Sheepskin Resorvoir Tip French Tickler with Spermacide Action Fluid. Cost me a pretty penny and after all that the bitch I was with refused to let me have my way so I ended up dry humping the sofa with it on and it ripped on one of the cushion seams. Money down the damn drain.
No wonder you keep your little piggie in a blanket!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratbob
No wonder you keep your little piggie in a blanket!
Now that's funny right there!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep I'm all grown up now and believe it or not I've had sex more than a few times. I use a horse blanket on my "piggy" now.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rounder
I run my metzelers at 30 front and 36 rear... For the 1st 1K on them I had them at sidewall pressure(42 rear 40 front)... Sure I might get a touch more life on them by over inflating, however the ride quality and way they stick like glue around corners convinced me to run at H-D recommended pressure. Way better to run at the bikes recommended pressure and not the sidewalls. If you read the stock dunlop sidewall, it has max pressure at 41 which is about same as metzler sidewall. Note recommended pressure is for a 170 lb rider riding solo... bump it up a couple psi if you are over 200+ otherwise your weight will wear the tires more quickly. Also it is recommended to run the rear with 3psi more when 2up. Get a good accurate air gauge. H-D sells a nice one complete with a tire wear indicator.
Wrong You wanna run what the mnfg of tire suggest not what the bike says.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Okay, here's my tire at 5K miles:

Name:  DSC00522.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  DSC00521.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  46.0 KB

.070 tread depth.

that's crap right there. I don't do burnouts, although I do have fun with the throttle, just like the rest of us.

I run at the HD service manual recommended pressures, haven't touched the rear to adjust anything and I'm only gonna get about 7 maybe 8K?

Quick Reply: tire lifespan