Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Orange
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ***?

I'm going to get a new Dyna, but can't decide between the standard FXD or the FDX Custom. Love the look of the FXDC but am worried about looking after all that chrome. I like to ride and don't want to spend every weekend polishing the darn' thing. I don't need it to look like a show bike all the time, but I REALLY would want to keep the rust from starting. Folks, am I setting myself up for a major maintenance hassle buying a Custom model? Whaddya think?

Also, does anyone know whether those chrome engine casings etc are steel or just the same alloy as the standard 'Glide?

Thanks a lot.

Jon

Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is the more chrome you have the more you will want to stay out of the rain!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Chrome is pretty easy to clean, it's polished aluminum I hate having to deal with.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 AM
nooster
Advanced

yes i have the FXD you will want to keep up on those aluminum rims. I like never dull wadding polish from walmart. and Wheel Guard from Chemicalguys.com.
Don't forget those engine fins they can also corrode.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:42 AM
nooster
Advanced

I really wanted the FXDC but did not want spoked rims..Scared of the maint of spokes also heard they can break but I do like the look of the spokes

Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my FXDC because of wonderfully "retro" look of spokes. To me it is a timeless look.

Last edited by Tele00; 05-24-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain
Wink FXDC was for me

FXDC was my first choice, love all the chrome and find it easy to keep clean, I have a low pressure gun that applies cleaner and then blast's away any dirt, really good on the spokes and places you have dificulty getting to, takes me 30 min a week and it comes out looking new,

Old 05-24-2009, 05:38 AM
nooster
Advanced

just a quick question about eng fins on the fxdc are they chromed too? or is that impossible?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FXDC is better bang for the buck and you don't have to literally polish the chrome - just wash and wipe it at a minimum now and then. I don't wash my bike all that often and it doesn't look that bad unless I get caught in a shower and have to ride through it. Ditto on the spokes though. Those had to go - very hard to keep clean. But I had to stay with chrome though so I got best of both worlds - standard FXD rims but had them chromed.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Keeping it Clean

When my bike was new I used Eagle One Nano-polish on all of the chrome. It seems to seal the finish well. I use a wet towel and them a microfiber cloth to get the road dust off. I try to keep water off it and don't ride in the rain, (at least not on purpose). The chrome spoke wheels look nice, but if I were getting a new bike would go with the solid wheels and tubeless. Less maintenance hassle and they keep the air pressure better. Others I'm sure will disagree.

Quick Reply: Beautiful, shiny....pain in the ass?