Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
jhmp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ethanol degrades or corrodes certain fuel lines, fuel injectors, and carburetors. Particullary in older engines in the avaition community. I would think one old engine, material wise, would be similiar to other old motors. ?
Some pumps don't list ethanol. If you want to check, try this test:
Ethanol mixes with water in all porportions almost immediately. Take a jar with a lid and draw a line across it horizontially. Pour water in untill it touches the line. Then add some gas.If there is no ethanol the water will stay at the marked line. If there is, it will have combined, increasing the apparent volume of water and the level will be above the marked line.
It seems it's geeting into some stations with out stating it.
New motors are supposedly designed with ethanol in mind.
All that aside, why are we making gas out of corn instead of eating it? Some people could use it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Sinclair stations here in Colorado have the option of filling the tanks with E-10 or straight gasoline. They pay a higher tax on the straight gas and it is passed along to the customer. Better mileage, faster starting and cooler running but not by much.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently read that the Fed Gov't is about to do away with the labels, so shopping around ethanol won't really work out down the road (if it's true). As has been posted, I also read that ethanol can have a bad effect on some materials, especially when stord for extended periods. I can't vouch for the source in either case though.

Like somebody said, we're all gonna be using it anyway, so I guess there's no need to fret. I imagine Seafoam, Stabil, etc. will see some nice sales numbers in coming years...

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
One word of caution....... dont store you bike with ethanol laced gasoline. It will separate after 30 days, and will attract moisture.

Just bought a Craftsman string trimmer and on page 13 of the manual, warned about using ethanol laced gas and storage the unit....Said if not planning to use it for 30 days or longer.....run it dry.
So for your bike, if you do use gas with ethanol, I suggest you empty the tank, that is unless you ride it year around....or find premium gas without ethanol. We use Shell VPower or BP. We NEVER use Sonoco... pay the same price, but get less octane.
That is not really a problem with 4 cycle engines. They are lubricated but a separate oil. In 2cycle engines such as string trimmers, chain saws, etc the problem is that the oil in the mix stay with the fuel ahile the alcohol separates with the water, (thinkfuel system deicer) it drops out of solution and settles to the bottom of the fuel tank which is where primers are located and fuel filters draw from. If there is know oil in the mix the 2 cycles are not lubricated. I work on small engines like these and most manufacturers have snet bullitins out about it. I recommend that you agitate the tool prior to starting if it has sat for while and also any mixed fuel you have stored fo awhile. Also us sea foam or something like it in the mix, ethanol only take a short while to start deteriorating. just my .02

Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Bigfishms
Advanced

Cant avoid it in my state(s) Washington and Oregon , it;s the law to have 10% Eth in the fuel, I only use Chevron or Texaco, some engines ( smaller lawn mower and Boat ) the eth really screws them up~
Oh Well

Screw it Lets Ride!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

I ran a Toyota Prius company car about 50,000 miles this year on 10% ethanol and had no problems. We average about 3500 miles a WEEK. I have heard all these rumors about ethanol but have never had a problem. Run it in my 90 chevy pickup and my Superglide as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

Just got back from lunch.

We have Mobil, Sunoco, Coastal, Noco and Getty.

Which one would be the best... or doesn't it matter?

I grew up in the 50's and 60' and remember the country going to unleaded gas. There were problems with older engines and would search for stations that still had leaded gas. I guess thats way want make sure I avoid any fuel related problems.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
bklanecky
Cruiser

I ride out to the next county and fill up at a Shell with V-Power premium that is ethanol-free. My understanding is that ethanol tends to make engines run a little hotter, and that it reduces your gas mileage because most new engines don't burn ethanol efficiently if at all - therefore you're only getting 90% gas. My Fat Bob has only ever had 93 octane Shell V-Power put in it, but then again it's only got 830 miles on it.

edit - this is in southeastern Wisconsin. I ride from Waukesha county out to Walworth, where there is no mandate for ethanol percentages.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
greenyetti
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well folks let be the first from Iowa to thank you all for your ethanol purchases. Since we are the largest producer of ethanol it's nice to have local economy benefit from gas sales rather than just foriegn oil. Here we have the option to buy non plain ol petrol, but at 87 octane and about 10 cents more per gallon than the 89 & up octane ethanol blends, MOST people here have used it for many years with little noticable difference, and no problems.
If HD puts out an E85 Dyna I will surely have one.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Default actually

ethanol has a lower btu content and therefore burns slightly cooler which if a higher percentage of ethanol is used such as in e-85 allows higher compression as well...................one major downside is higher fuel consumption......................tim

Quick Reply: Ethanol