Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic cam chain tensioner lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
good pics larry!! hey what all will i need to do my cams? i should be purchasing them in the next week or two...
Chris, I've got the tools, but you knew that.
Other than that, Cams, bearings, lifters, Gaskets, and adjustable pushrods. And like Don said, headwork if you're looking to go that route.
Depending on your choice of cams, the additionals to the headwork can get pricey

Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Right on! Thats definitely reassuring news for sure! Glad I saw this thread.. My 06 dyna has that new setup as well thank God! Hopefully its wearing as good as yours!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:38 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,371 Likes on 2,378 Posts

Looks like MOCO got something right. I'd like to do the conversion kit next time I do cam chain shoes but I have one concern, and call me old fashion, just the thought of cams spinning in the parent material of the cam support plate and not in bearings. Just me.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 PM
fatboyoz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kk6pg,
I've often wondered how this particular part of the engine would wear. Nice to see that it will last the distance. Just one question. What type and brand of oil have you been using in the engine?
Thanks,
Colin.

Originally Posted by kk6pg
I was a little bored today, so I decided to pull the cam chest cover and inspect the cam chain tensioner shoes. This is the new style with a roller chain and hydraulic tensioners. The TC96 has 30k on it and the general rule for the TC88's should be inspected for wear somewhere around 25k. I was curious on how the hydraulic units were holding up against the spring loaded stuff on the 88's.

This is what 30,000 miles looks like with hydraulic tensioners and a roller chain.
Please note the absence of wear on the shoe, and no indications of chain stretching I've seen with the 88's. I checked the inner shoe with 2 dental mirrors and a high intensity light, and it looked just like the one shown here.

Anyone with a TC88 that's concerned about the condition, I strongly suggest you make the move, spend the extra money, and upgrade to the newer system.

Oh, and since I had nothing better to do, I stripped the powdercoat off the cover and polished it (only to keep JoeK happy)

Old 03-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Zenrider57
Stage II
Default 2007 Road King

My bike as you know has the new tensioner that were applied in 2007.
Does anyone know the life expectancy of the new cam chain tensioners?
Been an Evo/Shovelhead Guy forever and Twin Cams seem run hot compared to the Evo
Was told it was due to the wear on the Can tensioners and I purchased a Road King after they went hydraulic.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:54 PM
ottawaair
Cruiser

Im a TC 88" (well, 95" now) guy. 2002 T-Sport.

I recently purchased a 2008 ultra with 96", 27,000 miles. so this is great to see that the tensioner is holding up.

My question is, the tensioner behind the plate, is that also hydraulic, or are they gear to gear cams in there ??

Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Originally Posted by ottawaair
Im a TC 88" (well, 95" now) guy. 2002 T-Sport.

I recently purchased a 2008 ultra with 96", 27,000 miles. so this is great to see that the tensioner is holding up.

My question is, the tensioner behind the plate, is that also hydraulic, or are they gear to gear cams in there ??
I am no engineer, however what I do not understand is why HD did not use gears for the rear cam drives. the front is simple to inspect and replace, with gears on the rear, crank run out would not be an issue for that.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:38 PM
tattooeddyna
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very old thread I know but here’s what my hyd cam tensioner looks like at 65k. The rear looks the same looking with dental mirror. Posting this just for anybody who’s wondering about lifespan. I use mobil1 every 5k

Old 04-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,588 Likes on 3,834 Posts

I am assuming your bike is the one with roller outer and inner chain. Missed your year. The roller chain once it grooves the outer link in, the rollers roll. Wear ceases and from what I understand, unlike the link chain, there is no call out for inspection.

In hot climates, 10 years may be a good replacement time for shoes since the material gets brittle in hot oil.

Make sure your inner chain is a roller. A conversion to the SE so-called upgrade only replaces the outer chain and retains the link since the cam requires the link chain.

Most tensioners on the older roller chain 4 cylinders are just hard rubber. I have overhauled Toyota motors that had 200K on them. The tensioner has the outer grooves but no wear IWO rollers.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:39 PM
tattooeddyna
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I am assuming your bike is the one with roller outer and inner chain. Missed your year. The roller chain once it grooves the outer link in, the rollers roll. Wear ceases and from what I understand, unlike the link chain, there is no call out for inspection.

In hot climates, 10 years may be a good replacement time for shoes since the material gets brittle in hot oil.

Make sure your inner chain is a roller. A conversion to the SE so-called upgrade only replaces the outer chain and retains the link since the cam requires the link chain.

Most tensioners on the older roller chain 4 cylinders are just hard rubber. I have overhauled Toyota motors that had 200K on them. The tensioner has the outer grooves but no wear IWO rollers.
Sorry, 2013 96ci FXDB

Quick Reply: Hydraulic cam chain tensioner lifespan