Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean cyclendr cooling fins

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Once the bright machined edges of the cylinders get dirty and oxidized getting them to look like new is not possible in my opinion, I tried different cleaning compounds and abrasives. I bought my bike used so I had no control of how clean it was kept before me but if I was to buy a new bike I'd be using the S-100 products to maintain the engine.

Good luck,
Mike
You said not impossible, and you tried different compounds and abrasives. But you didnt say what worked.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a bottle brush of the appropriate size on mine...gets inbetween the fins real well.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (05-24-2021)
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the baby bottle brush.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He is not talking about in between the cylinder fins, he is talking about the machined edges of the fins. The machined edges are not coated and the elements eat into the exposed aluminum, pitting it. You would need to remove aluminum past the the pitting.
I do not recommend sanding because the paper folds around and does not stay perpendicular to the surface, sanding the black coating and making it look worse. Part of the problem is that the fins are stepped as you move up so you have to pretty much do each on individually.
You need some thing sturdy and slightly flexible to scrape the oxidation off. If the oxidation is light you can take a razor blade an scrape it off, very tedious and be careful not to scratch the black. Just keep the blade perpendicular to the machined surface and scrape and try not to gouge or it will look like crap, one reason I like the flexible razor blade and don't recommend a gasket scraper. This worked for me on some of the surfaces but not all, some of the pitting or oxidation is too deep and I am resigned to the spottiness of it.

I am actually looking for some rough cast cylinders and heads to replace the machined ones, I think they look better anyways.

The S100 says on the label "avoid letting it dry on the surface", my once and only time I used S100 it made my black slightly chalky and I will never use it on the engine again and it did nothing for the oxidation on the machined fins.
Just my
CB

Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
You said not impossible, and you tried different compounds and abrasives. But you didnt say what worked.
He said not possible!!! And nothing worked!

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Steel wool! Works great!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
I tried the foam backed nail files and different abrasives but just got a dull finish. I think re-machining is the only way to get them back to a bright finish, so nothing I tried got the finish back.
On a new bike you just have to keep after it and not let dirt sit on the fins. My brother just got a S100 kit with his new bike, I think there is a protectant they make that I would try to keep this from hapening.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:15 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by otterbob
Steel wool! Works great!
I tried steel wool, did not work on mine.

Mike

Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by otterbob
Steel wool! Works great!
Originally Posted by OldMike
I tried steel wool, did not work on mine.

Mike
Steel wool does work, IF you don't let it get too bad before trying to remove the oxidation. It's a very tedious process of doing one fin at a time, but the results are like a brand new cylinder fin.

Once the oxidation (or any pitting) get really bad though, your probably going to need to try something else.
Perhaps a Dremel tool, with an abrasive disc? But you'd have to be very careful and not get into the black portion of the fins.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
dynafan68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has more opinion on the oxidation fin???

I'll try steel wool tonight to see if it work!
People told is better wash the engine with soap and water sometime, I see my friends bike older then mine, but doesn't have this problem!

Quick Reply: How to clean cyclendr cooling fins