Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying bike down on a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
smjul90
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tying bike down on a trailer

08 Super Glide Custom, I am taking my bike to Maine in a couple of weeks, I live in Ct and decided rent a Motorcycle trailer from Uhaul for the 8 hour trip and I could use some advice
on tying it down. The Uhaul trailers have a built in tire chock and lots of tie downs. Were is most secure area on the bike tie it down. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Begin by using some soft straps through the triple trees, secured by ratchet straps. Tighten enough to compress your forks. How much is open to debate, but you want to make sure the bike doesn't lean or the bars can't move. Also tie down the rear end to prevent it from sliding. In the photos below I slid my straps around the lower frame, but I've since began strapping it further back by the lower shocks.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I trailered my dragbike I always went overkill, 4 tie downs front 4 rear,I retighten them after a few miles once they settle in, then they are good to go for a while,at interstate speeds I wanted to be comfortable and not worry about it going anywhere. It's very cheap insurance.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can attest to what the other 2 say. Take their advise..... dont do what mine did.

Picture 2 bikes....Both with limited edition Custom colors. One is brand new with 5 factory miles on it. The other is a year old. Picture opening up the trailer door after 160 miles to find one that had shifted and was laying against the other, probably bouncing and wiggling for the entire trip. Picture one with the windshield gouged and scratched a to hell and on the other, the tank dented, and scratched gouged down to the primer.
Now get the news that the tank could not be repainted because Harley doesn't sell limited edition custom paints in sufficient quantity to repaint the tank, and the Factory wont accept damaged tanks for repair or repainting. You have to buy a whole tank, to the tune of $999....plus install. Picture replacing the windshield on the other.....another $350. Why.....because my hubby didnt PROPERLY TIE DOWN THE BIKES, NOR DID HE STOP TO CHECK ON THEM DURING THE HAUL.
Expensive lesson learned on that first trip trailering bikes.

Oh......and be sure you warp a soft cloth under the straps, so it doesnt rub against any painted areas!!! VERY IMPORTANT, or the straps could leave marks.

Hey Jake.......I see you have the Condor chock set up on your trailer......same as ours!!!

Last edited by LWOS; 07-14-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have to take mine to the shop on my trailer, I use soft straps and hook them around the handle bars and the risers. The rear 2 go throught the upper part of the shocks. Always use the wratching kind...I never the motorcycle/ATV type...(they'll hold but they can slip). I check them once at the end of my road, once about a mile down the road. Best to use a front wheel chock (optional but good insurance). Keep them cranked down. I'm a big guy and I crank those wratchets until I can't get them down any more.

Last edited by HarleypsychRN; 07-15-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the trick to trailering is keep the front tire from moving. I usually tie the tire to the chalk, then use a couple around the handle bars and down. I welded a 18" angle iron to each side of my wheel chock right at the front axle for this. Pull the bike down maybe 2 inches but don't bottom the forks. Then just keep the rear tire from sliding. I go to the rear of my sled trailer for this. Make sure that you have solid tie down points. Because the bike is riding on its suspension, I tyrap or tape any hooks closed. But again, I think the trick is to keep the front tire from moving.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely used the lower tree to tie the front down...and I used the upper shock mounts to tie the rear down, but face the straps towards the front. The bike won't move an inch.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

little tip..strap or zip tie the front break lever to the throttle.. bike won't slide : )

Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do as the others have suggested, and do tie down the back. I have seen what happens if you do not.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have ever tied a boat to a dock then tieing off a bike is similar in that you spring the straps against each other so the bike cannot move in either direction. Front straps pulled to the rear with some tension, rear straps pulled to the front and side straps pulled against each other as well. I use 6 straps to tie my bike. Compress the fork 2-3". The rear straps should hold the front tire in the chock and stabilize the rear end as well.

Be sure to pad the straps as advised above as they will damage paint. If you are in doubt, add 2 more straps. I have seen guys use as many as 8.

Quick Reply: Tying bike down on a trailer