Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fat Bob too much bike for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any bike is too much bike if you are not trained to ride it. Take a course and like others have said rent one for a weekend and make your decision. Just remember there are 2 kinds of riders those who have dropped a bike and those who havent dropped it yet

Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much, the same as everyone else has said. You'll be fine with the Fat Bob as long as you respect the bike and take it easy. The #1 cause of dropping a bike is slow speed maneuvers and grabbing the front brake. If you don't do the one, the odds of you doing the other are slim.

As for weight considerations, sure the Fat Bob is heavier than what you are learning on, but it is also better balanced. Small bikes don't have to be perfectly balanced because they don't weigh much. Big bikes do. It does make a difference.

You might also want to get the Ride Like a Pro video and watch it a couple of times. After you see a 120lbs woman throw an Ultra around, you'll know you can do it too with the proper time and practice.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, this is my first Bike, all i ever did was just stare, always scared to get on one cause of their size and weight.

and im no small fella, im 6'4 at 225.
i was super intimidated when i sat on my "Bitch'

Can I tell you, 4 hours later I took my **** home and made her Mine. Never looked back.

You want her son, grab that bitch and show her you mean it.

Same rule of thumb applies to some, mind you " Some " woman too

Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
heywood727
Road Master

It's your money and there's a lot of good ideas here. Some just get on and ride it others take the smaller route. Neither are wrong. Cold Case raises some valid points.

I've seen people that shouldn't ride but do, and others that can but give it up.

Depending on you past experiance you might be fine. Nothing wrong with having a healthy respect for what your on. This can go 2 ways.

1. You've put out a lot of $$$ for the bike of your dreams. Your going to find ways to ride it anyway you possibly can. It's a big investment just sitting in the garage collecting dust. You'll get more and more comfortable with it everytime you ride. Every trip to the video/corner store turns into a 2 hour side trip.

or

2. Pick up a smaller cheaper bike to get use to the idea of riding on the street. It was said best that riding a dirtbike just gets you use to where the controls are.
The upside?
- You can get your money back on it if you want to sell it.
- You won't cry as hard when you drop it for the first time on a slow speed manouver.
- you get a chance to see if riding on the street is for you. A lot of guys dump stupid money on a bike and then find out;
" That's more wind than I thought!"
" My wife won't go on it with me so we always have to take the car"
" Where did all that sand come from?"
" None of my friends ride so I have no one to ride with"
" I got cut off by a cager and I'm to nervous to ride it right now."

The down side is:
- if you get it for cheap, your more inclined to just leave it in the garage at the hint of bad weather.
- you may not enjoy riding it because it's not what you wanted

Bottom line is your not riding it and getting the enjoyment and passion that the rest of us get. Think of it as your sanity break without anyone nattering in you ear.

Like I said, it's your coin. If you buy it, your going to take the "Damn The Torpedo's" mind set and ride it because it's there. Do I think it's too much for you? No. Your here asking an intelligent question, you seem to have a genuine concern about if you can ride it, so I'm sure you'll be fine with it.

Take the course either way you go. Nothing wrong with taking the smaller way either. I've ridden for 40 years and I'm still gun shy when I first get on a bike that I'm not use to. It takes a bit when you get any bike to see how it reacts. The above comments are just excuses that I hear. The only valid one is the nerves if you get cut off. Too easy to give up on the smaller version. The Fat Bob will get you through it and you'll be happier for it.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Harleys are deceiving in their weight.They only feel heavy when you sitting still.The center of gravity is low,and they are the most stable of any bikes I have rode.I started out on an FXRS and took my drivers test on the bike.There were 6'4" 250 pound "bikers" bringing a 250cc honda for the road test.Looked like a monkey screwing a football.
If the bike fits you and you are comfortable with it,get the damn thing and I bet you will be fine,and glad you got the one you wanted in the first place.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

+1 on Sand Hog's comment.

Best thing I ever did

Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Dutch110
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I deal with this question alot as an instructor for one of the national track day orgs over the last 11 or so years. You may be fine going straight to the Fat Bob, but I can almost gaurantee that your learning curve on a smaller throw away bike won't be nearly as steep and your skills will progress much more quickly. Alot of manly man "grab her by the ears and give her all she's worth" talk going on in this thread. How many of you newer riders who went straight to the big bike have had the lovely experience of being put in a panic situation and had to take evasive manuevers in a do or die situation on your new bikes? That's when the ability to ride and control your bike matters the most; not while cruising down mainstreet USA styling for the local women folk

Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, I was in Charleston, SC visiting my son. I was standing in front of his house when I heard the sound of a Harley coming in my direction. Naturally I looked and admired the shining black 09 Fat Bob as it went by. Seconds later, he dropped it and I rushed over to help him lift it back up. Not much damage except for the rear turn signal. Turns out he had just bought it and brought home the bike an hour earlier and was practicing riding. Also, he said he had not taken any Rider's class. He got back on and moments later he dropped it again. I felt really bad for him and the bike. Clearly he was not prepared for what he had.

Whatever you choose, glad to hear you are taking the Rider's class. I personally learned so much when I did prior to getting my Dyna.

Last edited by Man O'War; 07-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend a smaller bike at first, about a 650 to 1000. You'll learn valuable skills and just as valuable confidence. And you'll have fun with less worry I think.

I differ from some here in that the Fat Bob is NOT the best handling bike I've ever had (I've had two BMWs for years that were much better handling, after a TrueTrack the Fat Bob begins to compete but certainly not beforehand). And For me I don't sit "IN" it but "ON" it (I am 6' and I have the Corbin Dual Tour which sits me up a bit higher) and I can imagine that maneuvering without motor speed and on inclines etc. are something to build up to. I want you to be safe, and I want you to learn to ride well and enjoy yourself without worry. So I suggest an intermediate bike before the Fat Bob.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like everybody says, TAKE THE MSF CLASS! I did (never rode a bike, ever) and bought a new fatboy and the only thing I regret is not doing it 20 years ago.

Somebody mentioned panic situations, I have had several on my fatboy and I am glad I didn't get used to a lighter bike first, first time that front tire slides out from under you a little bit you *** will grab on to that seat with a +10 pucker factor.

Also only ride in YOUR comfort zone, I am very lucky to have some very patient friends that take it easy when I ride with them, one more also, if you find yourself in a big parking lot do a couple u-turns and quick stops.

Well, what are you waiting for? Go get that bike!

Quick Reply: Is a Fat Bob too much bike for a newbie?