Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have trouble with system relay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

My bike was cutting out twice in two days. I didn't get any code but changed the relays(both)
myself and it is under warranty. I don't have the problem anymore,
I don't like going to the stealer at all. i ride every day till the ice and won't leave my bike even for a day.
I noticed that the system relay had 4 prongs but the fifth was chopped off not like the new one that never had a fifth. Humm, didn't look correct. like they used a five prong and just made it work for a four.
Anyone else see this on the system relay?
this was a new bike when I got it.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
n4wdn
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same problem with starter and system relays (some time it felt like a nut sometimes it dont) My problem was water from washing it. I opened the relays and found the inside wet with corrosion. I now remove the relays when doing a deep cleaning and then blow dry the fuse caddy and regrease. I replaced the relays for about $7 each and carry a spare.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
bonedaddy077
Stage I

Ive had the same relay issues on my '07 Sporty. I want to go buy myself a handful of spares, but can only find them for $15. Where are you guys finding them for $5 & $7?

Last edited by bonedaddy077; 06-04-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
mdunni
Novice

Anyone have a pic of this relay? Where is it located?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

My bike had the same symtoms. It turned out to be a bad pin connector that the relay is plugged into. You pull/replace the relay and it'll run fine for awhile then the connection loosens up again and bang your dead. Check all of the pin connectors for looseness and/or corrosion.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

my 2010 WG wouldnt start in a grocery store parking lot last year, forget what code it was throwing, but there was fuel dripping out from the AC / throttle body area---towed to HD (free with progressive insurance) and for $50 (with labor) they replaced the fuel system relay ( a $10 part). No problems since, but I carry a spare one in my tool bag now

Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bonedaddy077
Ive had the same relay issues on my '07 Sporty. I want to go buy myself a handful of spares, but can only find them for $15. Where are you guys finding them for $5 & $7?
Auto Zone. Mine went bad last week end.Used one from the horn relay from my 1998 Dodge 2500...working fine now same mini-relay. Betting Bussman makes the ones for the Moco also. Just take old rely so you can match the prong positions.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QehQeh
My bike had the same symtoms. It turned out to be a bad pin connector that the relay is plugged into. You pull/replace the relay and it'll run fine for awhile then the connection loosens up again and bang your dead. Check all of the pin connectors for looseness and/or corrosion.
This seems like a problem I'm having...replaced all fuses and relays and thought I was good to go.

Ended up needing a ride on the trailer to get home!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM
black dyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same thing with my bike for a week till it died and had to get towed home.next
morning took the starter relay and put it in the run relay spot and i hear the fuel pump go on .so i got two of each starter and run relay and keep a set in the bike for spares.
i think that will fix it

Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
OrovilleTim
Stage II

Just another confirmation on the Auto-Zone relay. I have one each of the HD relay's (Starter/System) coming in the mail but didn't want to wait and put up with the flakiness of the bad System Relay I have so I went and grabbed one.

It is listed as "Duralast/Relay - Horn" with the part number "19283". With the tax I paid exactly $15 for it though.

Popped out the flaky relay, threw this guy in, and it fired right up and I was able to ride home 9 miles with no flakiness. It appears to be similar in function to the Starter relay so when the new ones come, I'll pop those in and keep this and the original Starter relay as a set of spares.

Quick Reply: anyone have trouble with system relay?