Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bell

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
kazanimo
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bell

hay guys someone gave my a bell for my bike. can any one tell me what the rules are for the bell and why the bell needs to be put on. basicly a history of the bell and the rules. like ive heard you cant buy your own. can i install my bell. do i need to buy a bell for the person who got me the bell. what is the protocol for the bell.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a good luck charm.... Normally, someone is suppose to buy it for you. I never heard that youre suppose to buy one in return. You can put it on yourself, anywhere you like.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Click me

Basically, good luck charm. More powerful as a gift than if bought on your own. Hang it low on the bike to keep road gremlins at bay.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Save it for the Christmas tree... as an ornament or a re-gift.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
tomcat0818
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The custom varies (a google search would probably give you the 100 year story). I've heard it has to be gifted and it's normally done after someone has laid their bike down. It's called a gremlin bell and it's supposed to keep the gremlins off you (i.e. 'good luck charm'). No rules I know of about who installs it but the location on the bike is supposed to be close to the pavement where the gremlins live. And this thread definitely needs more cowbell.

*edit* ah, looks like RC hooked you up with the lowdown.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I say anything, I'll admit that I have one. I dare not admit, however, that I don't believe it has any powers whatsoever. LOL

I've heard a couple of things to share. First, it's commonly known as a gremlin bell. It's supposed to be a good luck charm and its power comes from it being given to you as a gift. If you buy it for yourself, it's said to be powerless. It's supposed to keep away the gremlins (anyone remember the insurance commercials from not long ago with the little gremlins doing bad things to motorcycles?) to keep bad things from happening to the bike and, therefore, to you. I've also seen it said that you should mount it as close to the road, therefore the bottom of the bike, as possible.

My wife gave me mine, so of course I had no choice but to put it on the bike. Mine came in a little pouch with a pamphlet that explained the legend but I have no idea what I did with the pouch or the pamphlet.

I had to lighten this picture because it's hard to pickup but this is where I put mine. Kind of hard to get it any closer to the ground unless I mount it to a tire. And that probably wouldn't last long. Seems like the bell had a little ring at the top and I threaded an old key ring through that and then mounted it to something under the frame.

Last edited by 2007fxdc; 11-03-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is still on my bike. One of the cute little girls at the stealership tied it on the day I picked it up.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
kylejwink
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, now I'm jealous and want a bell to fight off goblins...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I have a Guardian Bell, it was given to me as a gift...I need all the help I can get riding with all the crazy cagers in my area.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Nevar
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bell works ! But only if you didn't ask for it. I know because when I got my 04 1200C I asked my wife to get me a bell. I got blasted by yng, stupd bitch blowing thru a stop sign. Skip foward even after I had her rebuilt [ new frame etc] I was not comfy so traded her in Bell and all for My 07FXDWG.
About a week or so latter the Sales guy calls me says I got something for you. I went down on the Glide he gave me the bell. And said Now it will work.
And it does.

Quick Reply: Bell