Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
I find my Fat Bob quite entertaining in the tight twisties. It is an amazingly agile and stable beast below 60 mph, well for a cruiser.

That's what I'm talkin' about! The proof is in the pix.
My bike has been upgraded with Works suspension front and rear, True Trac stabilizer, Storz steering dampener, Lyndall brake pads etc. It handles VERY well in the twisties.
Centerline, great pic of the pegs! Still love your FXDF. Nice ride...and it's proof that you ride the hell out of it!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO chain drive makes no sense on that bike unless you're going to build an outrageous motor (as in doubling the HP). The belt has a lot of advantages that you ought to keep unless a chain in absolutely necessary. Pretty sure Mud still runs a belt even with 150+ Tq., and I know of an '07 Dyna around here with 135 HP that runs a belt.

Like you say, it'll never be a rice rocket, but you can make it a lot of fun just by going with fork and brake upgrades and better shocks. I bet Howard at Motorcycle Metal would give a good deal on a combo of dual Brembo discs, fork upgrades, and Ohlin shocks. That's what I would do (along with a stabilizer, fork brace and tires) if I were setting up a stock FXD to stop and turn.

As for the go part, that's all a matter of what you're willing to spend and how much it takes to make you grin. But a good tune with a SERT, 2-1, and A/C upgrade makes a 96 pretty fun from what I've seen, though it'll always be a heavy bike. I also think I would gear a 96 down if I had one. My bro-in-law's '08 seems overly long-legged for my taste.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM
arkieollie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with one of the previous posters....be careful of what you want out of the bike. The bike will never be a sportbike....it is a cruiser. You can make changes to make it handle better, but again, it is a cruiser not a sportbike. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,818 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by navyshooter73
Hey all, been lurking awhile, finally bought a H-D.
(Now I own bikes from 3 different countries).
Got to modify it, so need some advice.
New scoot is an '07 Super Glide, bone stock.
I'm more of a sport rider, but everyone I know has been bugging me to get one of these damn things,
so.... Sold one of my bikes, have some play money to get this thing up to speed.

Want to do a 180-190 rear,
18" front,
dual disc brakes,
chain final drive,
better shocks,
2-1 exhaust,
pro charger or similar.
I hate chrome (on my bikes),
looking for performance first. I know this won't be a canyon carver,
but it's gotta handle decent in the twisties (for a heavy chunk o' steel).
Any help is mucho appreciated. Sorry for long-winded post.
shooter, all of the changes you list are good. and you will find all the answers here.

Welcome to HDF... this is a great source for info and support.

Also, WTF is up with no political sigs/avatar's?
Can't I express my dislike for the current pres on here every time I post???
HDF is a motorcycle discussion forum.

As an added bonus, there is a political discussion room.

that is where all that sort of bullshit needs to stay.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great bike

+1 on Sharkey's comments. A Dyna can be a great bike on the long haul- comfortable for 2- and fun around town and in the corners. What I'd do in order of importance:
1. Dual front brakes- several routes to go, check out MotorcycleMetal.com Dyna section for a start. Include front springs work to improve the handling- maybe Racetech cartridge emulators and progressive springs or Intiminators.
2. Rear shocks upgrade- the best you can afford. An amazing difference. Ohlins are great.
3. Then the motor to increase horsepower/torque.
4. Excel Aluminum rims from Buchanon to lower unsprung weight along with Metzler 880 tires or Avons.
5. Composite brake rotors to further reduce unsprung weight.
Sharkey's bike is a great example of what can be done. Good luck...and have fun. Jay

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
navyshooter73
Advanced

HOLY SH*T!!!

Wow, can't believe all the helpful responses off of one post. Thank you all very much.

SilverV, I hear what your saying, and your right. I am trying to make it something it's not. But I also realize that, so it's all good I've got the twisty road bikes ('05 Duc 999, '03 Busa), and I know no 700 lb cruiser will ever be a corner carver, but it's got to at least give me a little excitement. Plus, I can't leave any vehicle of mine stock. Sure, I'd save thousands, but who wants to do that?

After posting last nite, did some googling for dual front brake kits, aftermarket, lighter-weight wheels (that accept dual discs), couldn't find anything. So again, thanks guys.

To address the chain drive issue, I know belts have a lot of advantages, and I probably won't notice MUCH difference in power delivery, but that will be the one thing I do to this bike that is more form over function. I just like chains better, never owned a belt drive bike, no need to start now.

Jay Risk, you've got it down right. Your formula is the same one I had in mind. Had RaceTech internals on my '04 RC-51 (that I sold to pay for this bikes upgrades), and was very happy there. The Duc is all Ohlins, nothing better out there IMHO. Didn't realize people were putting steering stabilizers on Dyna's, will do for sure.

Is there much of a market for all the factory stuff I'll pull off this bike? Also, if I decide to really go over the top, would a right side drive (w/ chain of course) help balance out the bike? It seems to me, from other HD's I've ridden, they seem 'heavier' on the left side while riding, especially any sort of spirited riding. Or maybe its just my misperception.

I'm on three other forums (dodge diesel, AR-15, and FCSA) and I'm always surprised by the amount of great info and help/advice to be had. It's not always the best, and there's always a naysayer or three, but overall, a valuable tool.

Time to spend a little dinero.

Jim

Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
navyshooter73
Advanced

Originally Posted by sharkey
I don't have a steering stabilizer yet, but have done a few other things to my Dyna...they can be made to handle and perform quite well. I built mine with the intention of kickin' cages in the *** as I feel like it; I know I won't be able to spend enough to crush crotch rockets, but that's OK.....the fun factor can still be turned up a lot with the right mods.
When I was stationed in San Diego, used to go to the 1/8th mile drags at Qualcomm Stadium, put on by San Diego PD/county sherrifs. At the time, I'd never drag raced a bike, only cars/trucks (this was 2004). Had an '01 CBR 929, great bike, regret selling it. Raced multiple times against a local cop on a ex-police Dyna, had wheelie bars and laughing gas, motor work, everything. My bike was stock other than a PC III and Hindle exhaust. Time after time, I'd stomp him, bad. And I couldn't launch for sh*t, still can't. IMHO, even with Bill Gates' money, you'll never get a heavy cruiser to crush a crotch rocket. No offense to anyone, but the power-to-weight difference is huge.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:33 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

To address the chain drive issue, I know belts have a lot of advantages, and I probably won't notice MUCH difference in power delivery, but that will be the one thing I do to this bike that is more form over function. I just like chains better, never owned a belt drive bike, no need to start now.
That was my guess Jim... you didn't really have a reason to want chain drive, you just *think* that's what you should do since you have no experience with belts.

My advice would be to save the switch to chain drive for one of your last upgrades. By then, you may realize you don't miss having to oil the chain, the chain flinging oil onto your bike, frequent adjustments, etc.

Coming from the sport bike world, I used to think the same as you. Now, after having belt drive, I think I'd be more likely to switch a chain drive bike to a belt than the other way around.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Get a turbo... trask makes a god one.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 AM
kromer4life
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chain just looks more badass man. Belts are a pain in the ***. **** em

Quick Reply: FNG, sport bike type has crossed over, many ?'s