Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

July 4th long ride and performance eval.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: July 4th long ride and performance eval.

but Ill try 2 try,

Well,... I have a SE a/c and a set of DynoPower slipons and I'm getting around 43MPG in town and to and from work and that aint babying it any at all, not abusing it either but not just putting around. On my last long trip I averaged between 45-46mpg. I think it is very reasonable for you to expect in the neighborhood of the low to mid 40's in your MPG. I have a SERT instead of a PCIII but name brands aside,... you should be getting much better than what you are getting. I was only getting around 38mpg when I was running mine with just the exhaust and when I added the sert and A/C the power and fuel mileage increased dramatically. While I acheived my results with a lil help from some on this forum and with tinkering with it to get it dialed in,.... I relize that my performance could be increased a bit with a Dyno tune. Matter of fact I was running mine a bit on the rich side and I was still getting 40mpg, so they must have you set really rich. How do your plugs look? They will always tell the real story when ya dont have a Dyno.

rap87,
Would you explain your logic in your theory that you will lose 10mpg with adding of the free flowing exhaust? That contradicts every performance exhaust manufacturers claim of increased HP and increased fuel mileage claims. It would also contradict many dyno charts that I have seen. Also the loss in the fuel mileage can almost certainly be attributed to the bike being setup alot richer, not anything to do with the exhaust.

John

Old 07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whelp, I'll post my gas mileage results on my next full tank and see what the got me at. As far as losing a few mpg...seemed like most bikes I had owned and been around at least with a carb, when the guys switched out to louder pipes they all said they lost a few mpg...thats what I'm basing my opinion on...., so I'll let ya know what I'm getting to see if maybe I just got a better tune...

Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

One other thing I forgot to mention about my bike since I picked it up. I have cut it off about 4 times at stop signs etc. in the past 4 days. I attribute this to dumping to much fuel. My hands still coordinate throttle rollback and clutch release as with stock setup, but too often now this does not open up the throttle enough to get any air in with my new Sir Spray Alot injector setup. I will admit I am no dyno tuner, but I know something isn't quite up to par since I'm cutting the bike off in traffic (dangerous) and never had that problem before EVER. My dyno bill was cheap and I can say with no sarcasm that you get what you pay for. If I want a better tune to fit my wants I'll take it elsewhere. Just a fact of doing business anywhere. The no fix on the fork lock is another story.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:08 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

I know an air-cooled Harley is far from the new diesel trucks, but if you look at what is being done with computers on those things, it will make you [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well since your upgrades are pretty modest,... Why dont ya try and download one of the basic maps for your setup at the dynojet site. I would try one of them and see how it compares to what ya have. It sounds like you are somehow WAY too rich.
When I first set up my sert I had richened it up quite a bit and the bike ran great but at times it would backfire slightly on startup, "too much fuel", and the plugs showed that I was close but was just a lil too rich. I then leaned mine across the board a couple values, and slightly leaned the cranking value a bit and VIOLA!,...... she now purrs like a kitten and I have good performance and good fuel mileage. I dont plan on getting mine Dynoed until I get the $$$ to do my 98in upgrade.

John

Old 07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fripple you answered my question I just posted.I am getting a thunderheader and was wondering what all you needed to do to get it working right.Do you still have the stock football?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 AM
rap87
Tourer

Ya know "but i'll try" its very possible the guy that dynoed my bike was a different guy than the one who did yours...or maybe he did it right or worked harder at it because I was there watching him do it. I know when they had downloaded a map for my bike that had already done for a guy to use during my break in they said it was a good map and they may not have to change anything, but apparently my bike ran a bit to lean and he got it just right in between the 12-14 throughout the rpm range. I've noticed great power, and I'll check on the mpg, oh and on decel my bike makes a decel noise comparitve to a carb...no backfires, but that cool lil crackley sound....

Old 07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

Thought about the fact that it could have been a different guy. You have Big Radius which are not supposed to build much power on a stage 1 bike, I have Cycle Shack turnouts which are supposed to be great for power. Good chance it was a different guy or at least one who didn't give a sh*t. Like I said mine is not BAD, I just can tell it's not what it should be.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
rap87
Tourer

I talked to the guy up front with the tats all over and he had said that your pipes were cheaper, but apparently did build good power. I imagine mine is supposed to build more HP rather than torque, but yet mine came out with more torque and HP than yours. I would imagine a longer pipe should have built more torque. I'll post my gas mileage this weekend. Did they say which mechanic tuned yours? I think mine was Mark?

Old 07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

I didn't see the need to say this earlier, but since you got such good power out of your pipes I'll say it. Anything you read about Big Radius says they don't build power for sh*t and that my CycleShacks beat out expensive exhaust systems in HP and torque. Knowing that I'd say I didn't get robbed, but I did get slighted a little. Still, I'm glad you got the power you did out of your V&H's. I'll get mine where I want it, it'll just cost me a little more dough, D'Oh!

Quick Reply: July 4th long ride and performance eval.