Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM
turider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering what years and bikes these bearing failures are on. My 04 FLHTCUI has 43K and original bearings. I mount my own tires and check them for loss of grease and any rolling issues. Somewhat nervous about this, as riding a locked wheel to a stop does not apeal to me at all! I seem to have read some time that the bearings had changed to a Chinese manufacturer. Would like to know if these are the ones failing.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Not sure on the year but if you are checking yours and adding some grease to it, then you don't have the sealed bearings on the newer bikes, maybe 05 or 06. I've got an 06 and they are sealed, and you also mentioned china, well I do know that my fork bearings (not sealed) are stamped MEXICO, I was really pretty disappointed to find that. It's gotta LM or LS number which gives me some indication they might be mfd by TIMKEN, I don't know, maybe timken has a sweat shop down in mexico, maybe it's just a standard number used by the bearing mfgrs. I actually would like to get some replacements though and pull those damn things, just so I know it's usa grade metal in there, but that's seems to be getting harder to do now days.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
rf_deveau@verizon.net
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 Sposter 1200 has a mere 7,600 miles. After a routine tire replacement, the right front wheel bearing was making a whining noise into a deep fast turn. Who ever thought of the 100,000 mile mark for sealed bearing replacement was enthusiastically overly optimistic!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Had my rear bearing replaced at 25,000 miles when I had a new rear tire put on. I will need a new front tire this year and I'll have them check the front bearing.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Comingapart
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a quick way to check a front wheel bearing? Like the old car method where you rock the tire back and forth?
My bike is still under warranty and it's developed a wobble at speed and some noise when turning.
I would just like to give it a once over before I take it in.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I had one go out after 6K so 100,000 I don't know about that??????????????? The anchor bolt trick worked for me, Put it in from the back side and knock it out.
Is that new wheels I detect on your bike Don? Sharp!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

I just got done last week putting a new mag and s/e 180 on the back of my 06 bob. Without hesitation I slammed in new All ***** wheel bearings in the back. The front wheel, still had some meat on the tire, so this fall, I'll yank the wheel, throw a matching mag, new rubber, and of course All ***** bearings. For the jury, the rear wheel, the bearings when I took em out, not only looked fine, felt just fine too, but I chucked em, better piece of mind, ya know.
Bearings are cheap, wheels are expensive, and life is priceless. Every tire change, new bearings for me.
Differences, I've had my rear axle, so it's got antiseize slopped on it, where Harley don't believe in that from factory. I also wash bike maybe twice a year, never pressure wash, and a few times year, take a throughly wringed out soapy cloth and give it a brief wipe down. So really no water getting a chance to setup shop in bearing.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the price of a shop to R&R the bearings in one wheel one time you can buy the proper tool to remove and replace them, it takes 10 minutes at the most and you do not have to beat on your wheel, notch your spacer or weld rods to bearings and beat them out .
Since H-D went to the narrow 15 mm single row bearings in '08 I would recommend replacing the rear wheel bearings on '08 and up at every tire change no matter what and the front every other tire change or at minimum check them for rough or notchy feel. The 21mm wide double row bearings seem to hold up pretty well and would check them at every tire change for rough or notchy feel and replace accordingly.
My

Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dynabobster
For the price of a shop to R&R the bearings in one wheel one time you can buy the proper tool to remove and replace them, it takes 10 minutes at the most and you do not have to beat on your wheel, notch your spacer or weld rods to bearings and beat them out .
Since H-D went to the narrow 15 mm single row bearings in '08 I would recommend replacing the rear wheel bearings on '08 and up at every tire change no matter what and the front every other tire change or at minimum check them for rough or notchy feel. The 21mm wide double row bearings seem to hold up pretty well and would check them at every tire change for rough or notchy feel and replace accordingly.
My
I like this line of reasoning... I would much rather buy tools than service. What tool did you buy, where did you get it etc...?
Jon

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexus9
I like this line of reasoning... I would much rather buy tools than service. What tool did you buy, where did you get it etc...?
Jon

You can get it here http://www.debrix.com/Sifton-Wheel-B...16-0558-vt.htm
I am sue if you do a search you can find other places, but this seems to be a pretty good price.
There is a version on e-bay but I don't think it comes with the thrust bearing
.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...item2562e35b30

I bought it because I have '09 H-D mags with the narrow bearings and have a good feeling I'm going to need to replace them regularly on the rear.

Last edited by dynabobster; 04-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearing replacement