Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 CVO Fat Bob Exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:30 AM
08FatBobCooter
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO i think the Vance and Hines 2 into 1 big radius have a very nice low deep throaty sound. I have them on my 08 and it is a very clean sound. Not too loud but way better then stock. Have no cackeling or popping from them at all. Just another thought for you. I love the CVO and the black heat shields would look great on it with the black in the rims.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:23 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

Krome werks, 3"hp+. Got 'em on my Fat Bob and they sound pretty good. Had a friend ride the bike past me while on the freeway and they sound real good. Not too loud. Nice deep rumble. I left my bike relatively stock. No a/c - just slip ons. Seems to run better with the KW's and no cracking or popping

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Krome werks, 3"hp+. Got 'em on my Fat Bob
Installed the new KW mufflers tonight. Letting the copper permatex setup per instructions (24 hrs) so tomorrow after work will have to see how it sounds. Going to be a long day waiting to hear her run. These are the exact ones I put on so after hearing this review I am really interested to hear it.

Last edited by tully_mars; 02-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Rolled the bike out in the snow/sleet. Yes, I said snow/sleet, it is freaking snowing/sleeting here in Mobile, AL!!!!! This winter is way out of control, it is not supposed to do that here!!!!

I digress, started her up and wow, very nice sound. Much lower than I expected and a bit louder, but I don't think too loud. Will only be able to tell when I ride, but so far great sound. Didn't hear any exhaust leaks so all good.

Now, back to the weather. This cold stuff needs to get the F&&&& out of here! I need to ride, sorry PMS rant (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

So, things I can recommend. Definitely get the new clamps for the pipes, anti-seize on all bolts, and use the ultra copper permatex, and be careful. When I put the new clamps you could tell as I was tightening things up the clamp was custom fitting/stretching to the pipe. Had these pipes been any narrower than my stock ones then re-using them wouldn't have worked. Was worth the trouble to just purchase new clamps and be done with it. The copper permatex was just a guarantee. I had changed out some pipes years ago on a Honda V45 Magna and didn't use anything like this. I fought a couple of leaks and where a bear to get around them. Had I known then about the copper stuff then it would have been easier.

Though the bolts didn't indicate any anti-seize on them when I disassembled everything, I am suspecting that there was some on the clamps from MoCo. I took the nuts of the new clamps to open them up to fit over the new pipe flange, and noticed some stuff rub off the bolt threads like anti-seize. I put anti-seize on all the other mounting bolts because they weren't the easiest to get off. Maybe it will help in the future.

Thanks to all for there input in this thread.

Last edited by tully_mars; 02-11-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM
wbarr12
Stage III

Originally Posted by tully_mars
I am not big on modifying things because all of my experiences have not been favorable. However, the sound of my CVO Fat Bob is just so wimpy. My 1997 Honda Shadow 1100 with stock exhaust had a meaner sound than this bike does.

So, that being said I am looking at modifying the mufflers to something that would sound better. My wife's 2006 Dyna Low Rider has mufflers on it that are stamped Harley Davidson and they sound awesome. Nice low rumble, not too loud to attract LE attention, just perfect. However Harley doesn't make them anymore. Also, they are slash cut which is my favorite design.

I had an 2007 Ultra for a little while that had Rush Slipons 1.75s on it and though it was loud, the pitch was not real low. It had a very tinty/poppy sound not the low rumble at idle I was hoping for. Would a Rush slip on with a bigger diameter like a 2.0 or 2.25 increase this low pitch?

Just another factor I am worried about...when in Daytona for Bike week last year I was talking to a Moco engineer at the downtown HD show and he said changing pipes could hurt the performance since what is on it is tuned for that SE setup on the motor. So don't want to hurt that.

Any recommendations/advice?
I have been told that Vance and Hines Double barrels have a mellow low tone about 93db vs 80db for stock, this combined with a power commander and a dyno setup is a real cure.