Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a Zippers T/MAX

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:43 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
Also , I noticed....NONE of the videos are shown with a Dyna . Because the Dyna install is the most difficult . It really isn't horrible , but compared to the very simple install on the Softails , and baggers , it is .
The only difficult part on the dyna is taking out the electrical caddy and using a dremel to trim off some plastic. Really one all said and done was not bad at all. But u are right the dynas are the hardest of the models.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
IIRC, The AT can move the AFR points up to 20% from initial base map location. (This delta from base location is called "offset") You should start with a base map relatively close to what your engine config needs, so that the AT doesn't have to push the points so far. The movement is somewhat gradual so it takes some time and you dont want to start out way too lean or rich. You want to start as close as you can.

The way it works in practice for the DIY person is to start with a base map from the big list they offer. They list will not likely have the exact pipes you have but you grab the closest map from the list. [engine type, size, injectors, exhaust] Then you push the map to the bike from your PC. Then you ride a few times and the autotuner moves the AFR points from the base locations as you ride.

After a few rides you hook up to PC and you can see where the AT has moved the AFR points off the base locations, and how far. You can mess with the offsets by hand if you want, or just make (and save to PC) a new base map out of the current settings. This takes the current offsets and makes a new base map out of current location - and zeros the offsets. Then the tuner goes on from there, and if needed will move the AFR points again.

Hope that helps.
Dan
Very nicely put . After the install , and set up , I am getting more used to it . If only the weather would agree and let me get some miles on . I have re written the base map twice , and it has gotten better . There was some serious popping initially , and I learned how to fix that , by turning off the fuel at zero throttle (not completely off) . Also , at first , my 6th gear indicator wouldn't light . I learned to set the final drive ratio to 84 , and that is now fixed . Still , I would like more performance . We'll see how it goes .

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
It will pick up changes like pipes and cams but if you go big bore or change throttle body it's best to get a new map.
So, if you just bought a bike and are planning on cams and bb,etc this doesn't seem to be the best option because in the end you still need new maps and/or a tune.

You're doing the same thing with this kit that you would be doing with say, a power commander it seems by downloading new maps,etc.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
So, if you just bought a bike and are planning on cams and bb,etc this doesn't seem to be the best option because in the end you still need new maps and/or a tune.

You're doing the same thing with this kit that you would be doing with say, a power commander it seems by downloading new maps,etc.
Right...except this isn't a piggy back system . It completely replaces the stock ECM , and 02 sensors , with the Zippers ECM , and wide band 02 sensors . You can also have a custom map made on a Dyno , if you want .

Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Right...except this isn't a piggy back system . It completely replaces the stock ECM , and 02 sensors , with the Zippers ECM , and wide band 02 sensors . You can also have a custom map made on a Dyno , if you want .
And this kit costs upwards of $800 +/-? I'm not sure I'm seeing the benefit of this mod considering it seems to be more work to install, more work to tune it, (definitely) more money up front.

I'm not dissing it just really trying to understand the benefits of using this particular device.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

Well < i bought mine used for very much less than new , over half ! For a little more money , I'd have done the TTS instead . there really is no big benefit .

Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid $641. new for mine. I installed it with no problem. To change a map couldn't be any eaiser and I'm no "puter" geek, just plug it in and download and it fine tunes your map. The T-Max gets two thumbs up from me.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 AM
jarhead45
Road Master

Well < i bought mine used for very much less than new , over half ! For a little more money , I'd have done the TTS instead . there really is no big benefit .
dont know where to start. Maybe its because I am a computer professional but this unit is easy to install and work with. I like to tinker, and in some of the reviews it did state that if you do not like to play with your bike maybe look elsewhere. But this unit is very easy to tinker with if you understand air/fuel demands on a motor. Even if you dont it is fun to play with. I do have to disagree with almost everything you have said. You said you bought used, maybe it was damaged. But I bought mine used also, and have been entirely impressed with the unit. Everything t-max has said is true and the support is the best i have seen in any OEM situation. I am sure you can sell your t-max, then you can get your TTS. Would be a mistake, but go for it. Best of luck.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer

Originally Posted by jarhead45
dont know where to start. Maybe its because I am a computer professional but this unit is easy to install and work with. I like to tinker, and in some of the reviews it did state that if you do not like to play with your bike maybe look elsewhere. But this unit is very easy to tinker with if you understand air/fuel demands on a motor. Even if you dont it is fun to play with. I do have to disagree with almost everything you have said. You said you bought used, maybe it was damaged. But I bought mine used also, and have been entirely impressed with the unit. Everything t-max has said is true and the support is the best i have seen in any OEM situation. I am sure you can sell your t-max, then you can get your TTS. Would be a mistake, but go for it. Best of luck.
Jarhead, I will have to agree with you. Love the tmax. First year I did nothing but ride using the map that tmax installed. I like to tinker and have very easily made a map for fuel economy for long trips and one more aimed at performance. Takes a matter of minutes to change maps. Will say I have not used any other system, but more than satisfied with what tmax has done for my bike. You can download the software for free just to get the feel of it does and does not do. And from what i understand their costumer support is top notch.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Did one of you indicate you are unhappy with the system? PM me ... I might want to make an offer ....

I am currently running a 'piggy-back' fuel optimizer system and I've never had it professionally tuned (just SWAGged it my own self) ... seems to have made a positive impact (judging by the decrease in MPG! ); but, I am thinking of making the switch to a 'closed loop' system and have gotten a few solid recommendations to install T-Max, recently.

Also, notwithstanding a few 'down-ticks' from a couple of you, sounds like the consensus is that it is a pretty good system.

I had been contemplating going with the TTS until recently ... I had not previously understood that the T-Max was a total replacement for the ECM and that I could add O2 to my pre-'06 bike.

Any other thoughts ... or considerations I should bear in mind ...?

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a Zippers T/MAX