Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bolt in cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best bolt in cam

Whats the best bolt in cam, no head work yet. I want use-able power range, and reliability, but still sound loopy. Something I can build off of later as I add head work and 103" Someone mentioned SE255's???

Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
FXDFan
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ordered a set of Wood TW6-6, but also considered the Andrews 26. Once installed I will give an opinion. Going with just cams, no head work, have a PCV, hoping can get a workable map.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the Vance and Hines fuel pak hopping they can work a map for stage 1 and cams. I shot them a email waiting to hear back from them.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

for strong low end...andrews 26 gear drive... for the bike to come on over 3K rpm, andrews 37, supposedly the woods works really good with a 4deg advance gear with the tw6. Definitely recommend gear drive, extra 4-5 hp over chain driven cams is the norm. both cams can easily match head work and larger displacement.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

SE 255: Low cost. Get new take outs for around $150 on eBay. Have seen them sell for a $100 used on the Forum. Bolt in. Strong bottom end that comes on early. Power quits too early for some riders. Popular cam for 96 inchers on another Harley forum.
When you go bigger you make want to replace the 255 with a cam that lasts longer. More cubes will give you more torque so your cam may not have to come on so earlier.
If you decide on the SE 255 PM me. I have a set out of a 110 kit for an '07 Dyna that I am not going to use when the kit gets installed. Why am I not going to use it? More cubes = More torque.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Gear drive cams are a good option but think about the added cost because most gear drive setups require no less than .0001" crank runout. If your crank is running more than that then you'll need to split the cases, remove the crank and send it out to get trued and welded. Certainly not a bad idea for the long haul but if someone was just looking for some quick bolt-in performance I don't see this as a viable option right off the bat.

I just installed a set of Wood TW6-6 cams in my '07. I've been having trouble finding a good map to use but from what I can tell, they give a good SOTP (seat of the pants) test in my book. You could also look into the TW5-6. Hi lift version that will still utilize the stock heads. I wouldn't mind giving those a try.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-31-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing fuel pak has is a map for the 26's. kinda a weak cam with all thats available. more of a bagger cam. sux i know but if you want any upgrades ditch the fuel pak.....thats what I am doing.....tomorrow infact. cams are all over the place but i suggest 37h, or 57h, or tw6-6, ect. it would be much better to do cams and headwork, keep stock push rods and get a real tuner, tts, sert, or hell a pcv.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Also, I love the lope the tw6-6 gives. Here is a video of my bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQT2mMQEaqw

Don't pay attention to the low rpm hesitation. I had a bad map from Fuelmoto. I downloaded the SE211 map from powercommander and that hesitation is almost gone.

Also, if you think about it you don't find too many Wood cams for sale used. You do find a lot of Andrews cams for sale used for one reason or another.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-31-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:21 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Wood TW-5-6 .575/.575 lift 234/234 duration and a 37* intake valve close. The Cycle Rama 575 is worth looking at also. I would stay with the chains, the newer style is fine and chains are more forgiving on tolerances.

Last edited by paul s; 05-31-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by FXDFan
I just ordered a set of Wood TW6-6, but also considered the Andrews 26. Once installed I will give an opinion. Going with just cams, no head work, have a PCV, hoping can get a workable map.
Good luck...the closest thing powercommander has on their site is a map for SE211's. It's ok but you will want to get it tuned no way around it.

I've tried asking all over this site and not one person has a map they are willing to offer up.

I just find it hard to believe, since there are hundreds of late model harley's with the 96" motor and I'm sure a good percentage have that cam. Only issue is that a lot of those people have alternative tuners (sert,etc). I don't know if you get someone to copy the values and send them to you. You can manually create the map.

Quick Reply: Best bolt in cam