Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help a/c and full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:35 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna be
I recently purchased the V&H BR 2 into 2 and the RSD series 5 intake. I have read so many different posts and heard so many different things from friends. I need some help.
I am going to put the pipes and intake on myself and I know I need some fuel maping. one dealership told me because i live in San Diego that the PC is illeagal and they wont work on it and if it is installed wrong they will void my warranty... kinda scared me away from that. This is my first Harley and I have no tuning ability so I am scared of TTS and not knowing if there is a tuner in SD that will work on this system. I have been recomended the SERT which I can get cheaper than the dealer and then have them install it...and then the download that i have heard is a waste of money but my buddies WG is running fine with his 2 into 2 and air cleaner... So what do i do? and if I install them myself is it safe to ride into the dealer or am I going to be running so lean that I F my pistons? HELP ME PLEASE!!!

P.S. got the pipes and A/c from Dr. V-twin great service and helped me out a lot especially because I am in the military
Just a couple things for your consideration:

The TTS was much easier to install and setup that the PCV for me and neighbor. Its very easy, no need to understand tuning, but you do need a laptop to get full use. If you really want to get into tuning you may,and that's where it gets complicated but most of us just run VTune to establish the VEs and then ride with smiles. Takes maybe an hour or two, less time than installing and setting up a PCV in a Dyna.

If you use the stock file name for your revised map, there is no easy way for anyone to tell if the bike is or is not EPA compliant, or for the dealer to detect its been modified. Certainly not as obvious as an add on module.

In theory, HD set up the ECU to be EPA compliant. Adding pipes and A/F upsets the settings. Tuning your VEs with the TTS will put the bike back into EPA compliance. Now most of us also tweak the A/F and timing to get better performance and a cooler running motor, which puts it out of compliance again.

PCVs cannot be EPA compliant because they disable the O2 sensors.

TTS is a better tool than the SEST for less money. They both operate on the same principle, but you have less restrictions with TTS. I think SEST has some built in restrictions primarily to appease the EPA gods, but I dunno.

So with a TTS you can choose to be environmentally correct or have max power or anywhere in between. You can have a street EPA tune and a track performance tune just by switching maps, a 5 minute exercise.

Just saying...

Last edited by ColdCase; 06-15-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TickTock
If you get a download you are getting a different calibration provided directly to the ECM without the need of a SERT, SEST etc. You may or may not get different adjusted AFR values, but you will never know as you cannot see this calibration. In addition, these downloads are set with a particular configuration (screaming eagle slip ons, harley stage 1 ac) that does not necessary meet similar equipment you have on your motorcycle - which is why they typically do not perform as well as a regular tune. There is also more than 1 afr for a particular application in the ECM calibration and it adjusts as based on several factors such as rpm and load.
I'm willing to bet if you could see what the download does that the only thing changing is the VE tables. Anything else and the dealer would be making the bike non-EPA compliant. I think this is kind of a "Dirty Little Secret".

So you take the bike to the dealer with a AN Big Sucker, and Rush slipons. He does the download for the Heavy Breather and SE slipons. Kind of a extreme example, but I think this is what you are getting at. It's a simular configuration based on HD parts, but not the same.

In addition, when the SERT or TTS is tuned it is calibrated at a simple base AFR such as 13.5 across the board and this is not done while in closed loop as the AFR tables are all turned to 13.5 effectively taking it out of closed loop. Once the ranges are tuned (VE mods most common) to know what 13.5 feels like, the AFR tables are adjusted back to the settings desired (closed loop restored in most instances) and the ECM performs the adjustments made from feedback given by the sensors to get to the desired AFR.
Do you mean when tuning w/the SERT or TTS, or are you talking about some factory calibration of the VCI?

I want to draw a distinction between the download, Smart Tune, and a Dyno Performance tune. I've already described what I think about the Download, Take the above example, Big Sucker and Rush mufflers. The download adjusts the VE tables to something close based on HD parts, but not the same. The dealer can sell you a SESTP VCI and some Dyno time, He does the Smart Tune and the VE tables are synched to your specific config. The dealer has not changed EPA compliance since the AFR, timing, etc. haven't been changed. Still not a performance Tune. But I'll bet this what is going on at a lot of dealers.

Now I would think that a performance tune would begin by correctly synching the VE tables, w/Smart Tune or VTune. Once this is completed you have a correct base line for the ECM to base calculations on what has to be done to acheive the desired AFR. I think 14.6 is what the EPA wants because it provides the most complete combustion of the fuel but I think the 13.5 provides the most power w/non-EPA compliance. However since this range becomes Open Loop then having the VE tables synched would be very important.

The trick here is to get the computer to be as close to that original tune as possible (13.5) in our example so that when the AFR tables are restored it can come as close as possible to producing the desired AFR (prbly tons of calculations are done by the ecm). There is an adaptive fuel table that for all intents and purposes is a variance table that will try to store a correlating cell value when the afr is not as desired. Example - if the VE is set at 87 for a 14.1 afr and it keeps having to adjust it to 91, the adaptive fuel table will average out at 4. The next time that the tp, rpm is at that cell level then it will start at 91. It takes several miles at a particular range to finely tune the adaptive fuel table which is why your bike starts to run better and better over time as seasons change etc. It should also be noted that the adjustments made by adaptive fuel are not very large. There are rumors it can adjust up to -15%, +15% of VE value up or down but I have never seen that confirmed.
I'm not following you on this original tune thing of 13.5. If I have a cell set at 14.1, this is out of the closed loop range, so how can the adaptive fuel table get feedback to adjust this particular cell?

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 06-15-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[
Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
I'm willing to bet if you could see what the download does that the only thing changing is the VE tables. Anything else and the dealer would be making the bike non-EPA compliant. I think this is kind of a "Dirty Little Secret".
There isn't just one AFR in a calibration. Look at the document that I have embedded below as an example. AFR can be different for different load values and there is a possibility that the download has something different based on the configuration and is still legal. Bottom line is that the common person can not get access to the download calibration

Do you mean when tuning w/the SERT or TTS, or are you talking about some factory calibration of the VCI?
I mentioned tuning the SERT/TTS being tuned in that paragraph and that is all I was referring to.

I'm not following you on this original tune thing of 13.5. If I have a cell set at 14.1, this is out of the closed loop range, so how can the adaptive fuel table get feedback to adjust this particular cell?
I was trying to address that the AFR is set across the board when tuning the SERT or TTS (on a dyno, not a self tune) to a known value taking it out of closed loop when it is being dyno tuned. The known AFR that is trying to be reached (for this example) is 13.5 - so you would set the entire afr chart to 13.5 and then measure it with the sniffers and adjust ve accordingly to reach the desired AFR. Once this is set, then you can set the AFR table back to closed loop (14.6) and it knows how to calculate it. You can't use 14.6 because that uses the feedback from the o2 sensors which would continually try to adjust while you were tuning, so you find another value and tune to that spec - then set the AFR to the desired afr - 14.6 for closed loop and whatever you want for ranges that you dont want to run in closed loop such as wot.

This has nothing to do with adaptive fuel. Adaptive fuel is simply another table that is used by the SERT/TTS to help average out a VE variance AFTER the tune is made which is added or subtracted to the VE values stored in the VE tables when the AFR is corrected so that when the value is needed in the future it will be closer to what is necessary.

Finally I used 14.1 in my last post and that should have read 14.6 for closed loop.

Attached Thumbnails need help a/c and full exhaust-afr.jpg  

Last edited by TickTock; 06-15-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 PM
TickTock
Club Member

Here is a data log. You can see the VE values represented by VE Front and VE Rear. These are what is programmed in with a tune. If you notice VE New Front and VE New Rear this is what was required to get to the AFR Desired Ratio. The variance between those two will be averaged over time for that particular throttle position and rpm range and stored in another table (adaptive fuel). The next time that is tp and rpm is requested from the ECM, it will apply that to the original VE value to try and be accurate without having to perform additional adjustments.

There is way more going on in these calculations to go into here and I am not an expert. You do need to understand this concept so that when you talk about how the ecm can self adjust you know what you are talking about. The variance that can be calculated has a limit and many calculations from the sensors are used to determine how to get to a particular AFR.

If you also study this you will see that the afr for a particular tp/rpm range is not always what is set in the tuning table - this is due to some tp positions not having a correlating cell value. The calculations for this vary and are also controlled by the software - which in this case is SERT.

Attached Thumbnails need help a/c and full exhaust-datalog.jpg  

Last edited by TickTock; 06-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

There isn't just one AFR in a calibration. Look at the document that I have embedded below as an example. AFR can be different for different load values and there is a possibility that the download has something different based on the configuration and is still legal. Bottom line is that the common person can not get access to the download calibration.
I do understand that we are talking about a matrix comprised of AFR at specific RPM/MAP points and not a single AFR value that covers all ranges. I will still bet that all you are getting w/the download is synching the VE tables to a known configuration of HD parts. However as you say there is no way to know for sure unlesss a TTS was used to download the map for comparison after after a download was performed.

I think ColdCase is correct when he says; "In theory, HD set up the ECU to be EPA compliant. Adding pipes and A/F upsets the settings. Tuning your VEs with the TTS will put the bike back into EPA compliance. Now most of us also tweak the A/F and timing to get better performance and a cooler running motor, which puts it out of compliance again."

I mentioned tuning the SERT/TTS being tuned in that paragraph and that is all I was referring to.
I have never tuned my device, if this is something I should do where do I find this procedure?

I was trying to address that the AFR is set across the board when tuning the SERT or TTS (on a dyno, not a self tune) to a known value taking it out of closed loop when it is being dyno tuned. The known AFR that is trying to be reached (for this example) is 13.5 - so you would set the entire afr chart to 13.5 and then measure it with the sniffers and adjust ve accordingly to reach the desired AFR. Once this is set, then you can set the AFR table back to closed loop (14.6) and it knows how to calculate it.

You can't use 14.6 because that uses the feedback from the o2 sensors which would continually try to adjust while you were tuning, so you find another value and tune to that spec - then set the AFR to the desired afr - 14.6 for closed loop and whatever you want for ranges that you dont want to run in closed loop such as wot.
Ok, the light came on. So you set the entire matix to 13.5 (optimal for power), then use an exhaust sniffer to adjust the VE tables to achieve the desired 13.5. Once this is accomplished set the AFR back to 14.6 and the ECM in closed loop makes the adjustments to get the desired 13.5.

It makes sense, but it's counterintuitive to me. I would think that you would synch the VE tables first, then if you put 13.5 in the cells for AFR then that is pretty close to what you should get. Use the Dyno and sniffers to make the finer adjustments, and run in open loop.

Adaptive fuel is simply another table that is used by the SERT/TTS to help average out a VE variance AFTER the tune is made which is added or subtracted to the VE values stored in the VE tables when the AFR is corrected so that when the value is needed in the future it will be closer to what is necessary.
Ok, I want be more specific about language. All the tables we are talking about are in the memory of the ECM. The SERT (SESTP) and TTS are tools for modifying these tables only.

I appreciate this discussion, we kind of got off to a bad start the last time.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM
TickTock
Club Member

I have never tuned my device, if this is something I should do where do I find this procedure?
I do not understand the question. If this is based on my comments about tuning it would be tuning it using SERT software in combination with a dyno. If you have a SERT, you should have received a disk.

Ok, the light came on. So you set the entire matix to 13.5 (optimal for power), then use an exhaust sniffer to adjust the VE tables to achieve the desired 13.5. Once this is accomplished set the AFR back to 14.6 and the ECM in closed loop makes the adjustments to get the desired 13.5.

It makes sense, but it's counterintuitive to me. I would think that you would synch the VE tables first, then if you put 13.5 in the cells for AFR then that is pretty close to what you should get. Use the Dyno and sniffers to make the finer adjustments, and run in open loop.
You are correct in your first paragraph. But think about this in regards to your second paragraph - you have synched the VE tables to a known AFR. The ECM is programmed to figure out the rest because it is simple math. If you PM me your email address I will send you a spreadsheet that you can see how it works.

But basically New VE = Initial VE Value * Observed AFR / Desired AFR

Ok, I want be more specific about language. All the tables we are talking about are in the memory of the ECM. The SERT (SESTP) and TTS are tools for modifying these tables only.

I appreciate this discussion, we kind of got off to a bad start the last time.
All of the tables end up residing in the ECM. You have visibility to a small portion of them (I think there are 13, 14) in the SERT and a few more in the TTS version. The adaptive fuel table is dynamically created, maintained and is stored in the ECM. In the old days, you had to use the digital tech to clear it before tuning or it could skew results when tuning with the dyno. I understand the new TTS wipes it out on every upload of a new calibration.

Last edited by TickTock; 06-15-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 PM
wanna be
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after all of your input I called Cycle visions in San Diego they told me they would much rather work with a Powercommander not sure if it is because they are listed on there site or not.... but most likely

I then ordered the PC V and should be in soon. found it on motorcycle superstore on sale for 295.99 free shipping no tax... so pretty good deal...

Thank you guys for all of your help and input and dont think I wont ask it of you again!! thanks guys i appreciate it! Once I get back from the East coast I will put it all together and post some pic's should be a little bit different from all of the other wideglides but not by much...next is new forward controls seat and apes... I'm 6'3" so its a little small for me right now gotta stretch out!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I do not understand the question. If this is based on my comments about tuning it would be tuning it using SERT software in combination with a dyno. If you have a SERT, you should have received a disk.
I was being very specific wih the language. So we are talking about using SESTP to make adjustment to the ECM. We do no calibrations to the actual SESTP or TTS. I have the software.

You are correct in your first paragraph. But think about this in regards to your second paragraph - you have synched the VE tables to a known AFR. The ECM is programmed to figure out the rest because it is simple math. If you PM me your email address I will send you a spreadsheet that you can see how it works.

But basically New VE = Initial VE Value * Observed AFR / Desired AFR.
There is an Excel spreadsheet included w/the SESTP that utilizes this formula and acomplishes this.

All of the tables end up residing in the ECM. You have visibility to a small portion of them (I think there are 13, 14) in the SERT and a few more in the TTS version. The adaptive fuel table is dynamically created, maintained and is stored in the ECM. In the old days, you had to use the digital tech to clear it before tuning or it could skew results when tuning with the dyno. I understand the new TTS wipes it out on every upload of a new calibration.
I'm sorry, but I have to be somewhat specific about the language I use. I apologise if I am coming off as being "nit pickey". The tables reside in the ECM, the SESTP or TTS are merely tools to manipulate them. IF the TTS shows more tables it is becuase it has access to memory areas that the SESTP doesn't provide.

The SESTP has a box to check when you flash the ECM that resets the adaptive fuel table.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Jluvs2ride,
I think it boils down to this in the ECM regardless of how it is flashed (I am not talking about piggy backs like a PC):
There are lots of tables, some are exposed to you given a particular tuning device. The basics of how it adapts are probably very similar given that it gets feedback from an o2 sensor. I would imagine that every device has an adaptive fuel table algorithm because the goal is to make it right the first time so it doesn't have to adapt. You have to tune the VE and timing because the programming inside the ECM isn't capable of managing it with the sensors as designed today. Tools like the TTS help because you can ride it, record it and update your ranges back into the calibration file (map) and do it all over again - however note that this same programming could theoretically be used inside the ECM but for whatever reason (perhaps processor or memory limitations) it is not - which is why you have to record, update and reflash.

Now take this concept above - the ecm adapts and then you put on something like a PC with 02 eliminators. It tricks the ECM to always thinking it is reaching a perfect scenario and no adapting is necessary. The PC is then tuned (add or subtract to the VE given by the ECM) to the desired AFR but nothing ever adapts inside the ECM again. So when one takes it off the bike and removes the o2 eliminators the adaptive fuel kicks back in and the ecm tries to adapt and in some instances will not be able to because what is necessary to reach a particular AFR is not obtainable by the internal algorithm. This is why I never recommend anyone to just remove a tuned Power Commander and O2 sensors and start just riding around. The eliminators were inserted, the ECM was fooled, the bike was tuned and the updates stored in the Power Commander. Once it is removed it is so far away from being what is necessary that it could potentially cause more issues than what it is worth to just wait a day or two.

Now, I want to preface all of the above information in all of my posts with this - I am not a tuning expert nor am I a tuner. I have spoken with some very reputable tuners and I have toyed with both the PC and the SERT device for several years. There are tons of concepts about tuning I do not understand, but I absolutely understand math and the concepts I have described to you. I may have a minor misplaced fact here or there, but overall I am confident that what I have described is this works at a high level.

Last edited by TickTock; 06-16-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

TickTock, that does make perfect sense. However we have paper thin mp3 players that have gobs of memory and I'm sure the processor in those things is capable of handling the calculations necessary for real-time calibration. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: need help a/c and full exhaust