Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just the facts please on 30 tooth pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pulley was about $135. to my door, no need for a new belt, the stock one fits. The socket cost a few bucks but I plan on keeping my bike and I want all the tools I need to work on it so that wasn't a big deal, it's not a hard job to do but the nut can be a pain, I used an electric impact to bust it loose after breaking a cheater bar and tryin an air impact.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Yep, done it, and glad I did it, throttle has more or quicker response, and really a big plus is 6th gear is now useable. Before 6th gear would of been cruisng at 75 plus to really get to use it and that's all well and good at times but when the limit is 60 or 65 then 15 to 20 plus over to use 6th gear could cost ya one ticket to pay for this upgrade.
Also realize you will have to calculate in approx 6% speedo error, either in your head or a calibrator, not a big deal to a lot of guys though, myself, I just put in a TTS tuner and it recals the speed calculations.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 PM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a 30t and a barnett clutch spring, 162.98 to my door, then picked up a primary gasket set off the forum for 35.00. I am going to install friday night and full right up with pictures. so stay tuned for saturday!!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jshull
i bought a 30t and a barnett clutch spring, 162.98 to my door, then picked up a primary gasket set off the forum for 35.00. I am going to install friday night and full right up with pictures. so stay tuned for saturday!!
Good deal, let us know how it turns out man, and deffinitely pics baby.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting for DIY and pics.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 PM
scottyd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default something to think about

I've got a 30t off of a Buell that I converted to chain, When I did the conversion I couldnt find a drive sproket made particularly for a Buell, So I tried a Big Twin sproket, the splines matched and it bolted right up, even used the same locking plate. So I'm thinking the 30t pulley that came off the Buell will bolt onto the Big Twin, I could be wrong, I wouldnt know without comparing them side by side... But if Im right you can find those pulleys much cheaper then these aftermarket ones, and a sportster pulley should work too.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 PM
chad peterson
Road Master

The 30T pulley or 30T engine sprocket are both great mods...the pulley is cheaper. The engine sprocket eliminates the compensator...some don't like that, doesn't bother me one bit! The pulley causes a recalibration with the speedo...not a big deal! Take your pick, they both make 6th gear completely usable without downshifting all the time, just roll on to pass or whatever! Like Joe mentioned the gains off the line & runnin through the gears in general are a huge gain compared to the lame, rediculous tall stock gearing from 06 up! Both are simple to install with the shop manual if ya want to save some money...plus if ya don't already, you'll know your primary pretty well by the time your done! I highly suggest this mod!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I 100% would not pay $450 to have this sucker installed NO WAY!!! if you are going to pay 450 save a bit more up and have them do cams, would be a bigger differance anyway!

it was a fairly simple install to be honest, did snap a breaker bar as well doing it, thank god chad had his impact in the jeep, if you have an impact it is an easy install, if not rent one... actually if you dig! I did a full write up on the install when i did mine!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Just curious about one thing, if everyone complains about the need to be going 65 and over to use 6th gear, why are you not just riding in 5th? I mean I seldom even use 6th unless I'm on the interstate doing 70+, other than that I'm cruising 60-65 in 5th.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:26 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the acceleration, why have a bike geared so tall you can't use all of the gears under normal riding conditions?

Quick Reply: just the facts please on 30 tooth pulley