Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Luggage Rack - V2.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Custom Luggage Rack - V2.0

V1.0

First I want to give big props to S&S Kustoms in Palmetto, FL for this work. They took a simple idea I had and made it very cool and functional. Also a thanks to some of you here that commented in my original thread who gave me some ideas on ways to improve it. I took those Ideas back to S&S and they did them, plus re-powder coated the rack and sent me on my way with no additional charge for the work. It's nice to have a local Indy with that kind of service.

To tell you what you're looking at there I'll start with what they found. First, to their surprise the OEM HD Sissy Bar is solid steel, not hollow (a good thing). Next, all the pieces of round bar the used are solid steel too. The welds are thick, strong and clean.

The two improvements were the addition of the second smaller cross-bar (first pic). I can use this to add a strap to that can them come up and over the bag and attach to the seat itself. This will help take pressure away from the rack. The other addition were the tabs added to support the rack (second pic) when its in the down position. It really is very strong. Time and trips will tell how strong it is but i dont think this will be damaged by a full bag.
Second Cross-bar

Support tabs

On the bike in the down position

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
JoeBobber
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very nice work... I am in the middle of working with my wife's grandfather (a metal worker) on a custom rack for my detachable pillion. It will be a bolt up rack with supports welded to the sissy bar upright. Hoping to get it done this weekend.