Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about internal wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have run internal throttle and clutch on several bikes they are really easy to work on, and either way if you break a cable you have to redo them, i hate the internal clutch but love internal throttles, either way they are pretty easy to run and look awesome!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Are you talking about cables or wiring? Steel braided cables still need lubing but why on earth would you lube electrical wires?
Do you lube the electrical wires in conduit pipes in buildings? All you are doing is instead of routing the wiring on the outside of the bars, you are just routing them into and out of the bars to clean up the look.
There is plenty of room in the bars like 07 Dyna man said and yes it will cost more if you pay someone to do it because they are doing more work.
Actually, yes, if it is not going through a straight 10' length, the lube will help when you pull the wire through

Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just put carlini bars on my bike and I have steel braided wires (which I prefer and like) and they went right through. The most difficult part was taking all the wiring apart, we had to take the wires out of the plastic deals (sorry don't know what they are called I'm a chic) and then put them all back together after we strung it through the bars. I have 1.5 inch bars and everything fit fine.

Last edited by luv_my_harley; 09-21-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
We just put carlini bars on my bike and I have steel braided cables (which I prefer and like) and they went right through. The most difficult part was taking all the wiring apart, we had to take the wires out of the plastic deals (sorry don't know what they are called I'm a chic) and then put them all back together after we strung it through the bars. I have 1.5 inch bars and everything fit fine.
You ran your cables internal?

Those "plastic deals" are called molex connectors.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

Yes we did....thanks for the clarification, all I know is they were a pain in the *** and we had to draw a diagram with the colors to make sure we did them right. Want pictures?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Of the cables ran internally? Of course.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

No you dork, of the bars or where the wires go into the bars. Not the cables....

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

Wires and cables are the same to me, different to you and all other men but the same to me!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
Wires and cables are the same to me, different to you and all other men but the same to me!
Wires and cables are very different.

If not, what do you call the things that control your throttle? Throttle wires? Clutch Wire? Brake wire?

Clutch Cable...throttle cable...brake line

Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ok... here is some pics to help out, i just internal wired my new bars this week, this is internal wiring.... they also make internal throttles, brake lines, and clutch cables... I can show this with pics of the chopper as well. they are two different things, internal wire is the electrical component that run the switch housings, where internal cables (also much harder to do) is the clutch, and throttle cables, there is a huge diff not only in work involved but also the price to pull it off

my new bars, pre wired so i can do bar swaps in under 15 in

doing internal wire

the ext soldered in

Quick Reply: Questions about internal wiring