Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question about Khrome Werks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 PM
oeberg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question about Khrome Werks

I am currently riding my '10 Fat Bob with no other mods than Krome werks 3' slip-ons. They work fine, gives the sound I was looking for and the engine semms to be both more responsive and run a little bit cooler.
One of the reasons I choosed these mufflers was that they could be mounted without any further mods. Well since they have detachable baffles I was thinking of trying to take those out to see how I'd like it that way. My question is if the extra outflow that would make could be harmful to the engine. I understand that the out ratio would be greater, but as long as the air intake is still the same it shouldn't affect the combustion? Or would it?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

Nope, won't hurt it. May suffer a little perfomance wise with the loss of back pressure.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oeberg
I am currently riding my '10 Fat Bob with no other mods than Krome werks 3' slip-ons. They work fine, gives the sound I was looking for and the engine semms to be both more responsive and run a little bit cooler.
One of the reasons I choosed these mufflers was that they could be mounted without any further mods. Well since they have detachable baffles I was thinking of trying to take those out to see how I'd like it that way. My question is if the extra outflow that would make could be harmful to the engine. I understand that the out ratio would be greater, but as long as the air intake is still the same it shouldn't affect the combustion? Or would it?
I would honest i would really like to see what they look like on the bike as well as hear them. Since getting my 11 wg the thing that needed to go was the exhaust. I am not after something screaming loud I jsut want it to sound like a harley. Almost 2 months ago i ordered a set of Rush 2"baffle slipons from my harley. They have been on back order for ever, well ever since i ordered them. I am intereseted to hear and see the krome werks slipons. Do you have any video of the sound or pics of them on the bike. It is now cold here in pa so i wonder if i should even rush it this year or wait till next season.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If the bike runs good, performs well and sounds good, why......??

Conventional wisdom notwithstanding, your 'out-ratio' would actually, almost certainly, DECREASE not increase. The larger the tube, the lower the speed. Hot gases at lower speeds means a higher pressure, a higher speed means a lower pressure. Removing the baffles would, in effect, make the muffler body just that much bigger. Not really a good thing.

To create a 'vacuum' signal (negative pressure) at the right time, at your exhaust port, in order to scavenge the next exhaust pulse from your engine, you want lower (negative) pressure at the exhaust valve.

Engineers spend a lot of time and expend a lot of energy and thought on getting exhaust systems just right. They usually don't because -- Well, on Street vehicles, it's almost impossible. But they try to find a compromise between noise, performance, rideability (especially at lower RPM) and power.

This can get really confusing. In fact, I can get confused just thnking about it. To make it simple?

Leave the pipes alone.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
oeberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I would honest i would really like to see what they look like on the bike as well as hear them. Since getting my 11 wg the thing that needed to go was the exhaust. I am not after something screaming loud I jsut want it to sound like a harley. Almost 2 months ago i ordered a set of Rush 2"baffle slipons from my harley. They have been on back order for ever, well ever since i ordered them. I am intereseted to hear and see the krome werks slipons. Do you have any video of the sound or pics of them on the bike. It is now cold here in pa so i wonder if i should even rush it this year or wait till next season.
They look like stock. I did too put on Rush 2.0 since I had heard and read a lot of good stuff about them, but I didn't like their sound. In my opinion the KW mufflers sounds a lot better (Low deep growl in low RPM and they definetly bark god when you open the throttle). They are a little less loud than the Rush mufflers but have a cleaner deeper sound (not as "scrambly" as the Rush'es)....hard to explain....but more solid. I'll post some pics and hopefully a soundclip later today if I can find the time to record it.

/Fred

Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
oeberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Grendel4
If the bike runs good, performs well and sounds good, why......??
Pure curiosity.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They look like stock. I did too put on Rush 2.0 since I had heard and read a lot of good stuff about them, but I didn't like their sound. In my opinion the KW mufflers sounds a lot better (Low deep growl in low RPM and they definetly bark god when you open the throttle). They are a little less loud than the Rush mufflers but have a cleaner deeper sound (not as "scrambly" as the Rush'es)....hard to explain....but more solid. I'll post some pics and hopefully a soundclip later today if I can find the time to record it.

/Fred
i looked on there website and yea it looks like stock, with the foward slash. i ordered straight cut rush slipons. i figure if i was changing the pipes i dont want it to look stock. i like the look of the straight cut. you mention the rush are louder. i am not looking for loud i am just looking for it to sound like a harley. i figure no mater what slipon you go with they all pretty much have the same baffle. its just the size of the baffle that dictates how quiet or loud it will be. what size baffle is in the kw, and is it removable and can you change it to a different one. i really look foward to hearing yours if you can get a clip together. i cant find a good clip of it on utube. i was able to get a real good sounding clip of the rush pipes and it sounds good.

my problem is i dont have the cash to keep changing pipes till i get it right. i only want to do this once. i hope the rush 2 " baffle isnt to loud. if it is i will end up getting the 1.75 baffle to quiet it down a little.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM
chuckdizzle
Advanced

LA Choppers just released a set of 4" slip-on that have an awesome deep sound to them and look killer because of the big 4" cans. Not sure what the price is, but our Drag rep said they blow everybody out of the water. Drew@DRVTWIN may be able to get more info.......

Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

I have these on my SE FatBob and they are awesome. Good pipes so far, deep and a fairly loud. The SE pipes I put on my WG are not near as loud as Krome Works are. I like the sound of both though because they are both very deep in tone.