Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Arlen Ness Intake broke (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/575505-arlen-ness-intake-broke.html)

matts Dyna 10-23-2010 01:43 AM

Arlen Ness Intake broke

2 Attachment(s)
So I was coming back from lunch today and noticed that one of the bolts for the intake was lose. No biggy, I'll just tighten it when I get home. Get home and go to tighten it, won't tighten...WTF? Start taking it off to investigate whats going on and this is what I found! Anyone have bad experiences with Ness products breaking? The bike is 09 Low Rider, the intake is Arlen Ness Stage 1 Big Sucker, probably doesn't even have 500 miles on it! Ill be getting the bolt out today, I will let you know if I run into any problems!

EHLTB66 10-23-2010 02:20 AM

I can appreciate Arlen Ness for what he has done, but I believe all his products are made in China. That's why I won't
buy them. Good luck with that bolt.

rocketmanalien 10-23-2010 02:30 AM

a buddy had the one on the other side break off a little more broken bolt was exposed than yours he got replacement bolts but was questioned about torque which he goes by the book maybe just lamination in the bolts I believe it comes from chena

Robbie13 10-23-2010 05:17 AM

Glad I read this. Was considering this intake.

matts Dyna 10-23-2010 07:36 AM

Well that bolt came out with no problem, so that was good. I don't know if I want to waste my time with it and get a new bolt or just try and sell it on ebay. The intake is nice, but I wish I would have gone with one of the Roland Sands Designs instead.

TORQUEY 10-23-2010 07:44 AM

I have the Billet Big Sucker from Arlen Ness, the newer series that does not use the hoses. It has the chrome backing plate. Each part, including the bolts, seems as though it could have been designed for the Abrams tank. Parts are heavy gauge and the chrome is high quality, including the bolts and washers. Even the filter, reported by many to be junk, seems indistinguishable in quality from the K & Ns I've had on my car and other bikes. All the machined holes line up properly. I did use the supplied blue permatex (locktite equivalent) on the bolt threads.

parts eeter 10-23-2010 01:14 PM

I have that intake and would just throw another bolt in it and use it. Its a good cheap setup, I like it

Jarhead08 10-23-2010 09:20 PM

Could be just a bad bolt or over torqued. I've had mine off and on with no problems other than one of the three screws that hold the filter onto the backing plate stripped out. Sure wish someone would invent an unstrippable bolt or screw! Lol

p51bombay 10-23-2010 09:51 PM

Given the size of those bolts, I cant see it being a torque issue as the head would strip long before the bolt broke. bad bolt it seems

parts eeter 10-24-2010 12:23 AM

Still like those bolts better than the SE setup. Looks way better and it doesnt cost a fortune for the chrome setup.
Hey Jarhead, you regret that trade in yet?