Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my WG Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Luxer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my WG Please

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask for some help with my WG that I am still waiting on delivery. I am active duty military stationed in Japan and have had my WG on order since last summer. I should be taking delivery hopefully this February if everything goes well which I am keeping my fingers crossed. It has been quite the wait and practice in discipline but I can't complain...Harley does an impressive job supporting us military folk and this is the best that can be done seeing that it is an international shipment and will have to be tested out by the Japanese government before being able to get licensed on the road. Harley takes care of all of this, provides me an American spec'd WG, and gives me a pretty decent discount...so I can't really complain about the wait.

Anyways...I am running through my mind and trying to research the best that I can on the internet on what I am going to do to my new bike. It is the black tank with the flames that I receiving and I want to black this bike out. I already have a Triumph Bonneville with lots of chrome so I am going to go the other direction with my Dyna. So here is what I am planning and would like to ask for some help with this

Pipes:

I am looking at the V&H sideshots and the big radius ones...both of them in black. Does anyone know of some other sites I should go to as far as the pipes go? I want them black, I would like a short pipe, and something that will give the WG a very strong and loud rumble. I'm a big believer in keeping stock parts so I will still have those for the inspection tests and want my after market pipes to have a strong and robust sound.

Rear suspension:

I haven't had much like finding sites to get some rear suspension for this bike. Once again, I want it in black. I know from riding motorcycles for 35 years that stock suspension usually amounts to one level above crap. I am 6'4" at 225 lbs so I already figured that a suspension upgrade would be a good thing to do...but once again...in black

Powder coating:

Does anyone know a powder coating business that operates through the internet as well that are very well reputable as well as thorough in what they do? I can't find anyone in the Northern Japan area that powder coats and sending it down to Tokyo would cost me a small fortune. I will be getting this bike in the winter so I would like to pull the horn off, the triple trees, and the front suspension and have them all powder coated. This also includes the forward control linkages and the stem arms to the brake and shifter.

Air intake:

Once again...black. There seems to be quite a bit of options with this as I have come to the J&P site quite a bit. I am looking for something that gives the bike an attitude if that makes sense. I was just wondering if you all have certain ones that you absolutely love or hate...your opinions and thoughts would be appreciated.

Also...the chrome strip that wraps around the battery box: is this piece a part of the battery box or an add on? Once again, I want to get rid of that shiny piece and have it blacked out. Has anyone done this? Problems? Suggestions? Thanks for the help with this ahead of time; I guess I'm not the best internet researcher and my options are limited being stationed over here....your ideas/inputs are really appreciated.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 PM
pcbunn
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a few shots of my '10 WG. Samson pipes, SE air cleaner, hide the horn, Jagg oil cooler, lose the sissy bar. Enjoy your mods.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxer
Powder coating:

Does anyone know a powder coating business that operates through the internet as well that are very well reputable as well as thorough in what they do? I can't find anyone in the Northern Japan area that powder coats and sending it down to Tokyo would cost me a small fortune. I will be getting this bike in the winter so I would like to pull the horn off, the triple trees, and the front suspension and have them all powder coated. This also includes the forward control linkages and the stem arms to the brake and shifter.
Here is the best one on this site IMO.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...9-jrk5892.html

Not sure if he does international shipping, but if he does, you will be happy!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Luxer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcbunn
Here's a few shots of my '10 WG. Samson pipes, SE air cleaner, hide the horn, Jagg oil cooler, lose the sissy bar. Enjoy your mods.

Hey man...your bike is looking great. I was thinking about going the opposite direction on the sissy bar and order that tall powdercoated one. I think a sissy bar can really come in handy with strapping rack bags, sleep rolls, etc. But seeing yours without it really profiles that rear tin nicely. Are you happy with the SE air cleaner?

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
Here is the best one on this site IMO.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...9-jrk5892.html

Not sure if he does international shipping, but if he does, you will be happy!
I will definitely drop a PM and see where I stand; thanks for the information on this. International shipping shouldn't be a problem because I am on the APO system because of being military so the coast is basically the price of sending something to California. Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Vance and Hines Shortshots staggered. They are pretty short to give your bike that long look. The silver strip on the battery box pulls right out (on mine anyway) I painted mine and put it right back on. Wide glide is a nice looking bike to me. Was in the dealership drooling on one yesterday.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:54 AM
KAUFMANSM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have side shots in chrome and love the sound and the fact that you don't see them a lot. For air intake I have a RSD speed 7 air cleaner. The look is very clean and custom. Ultimatly it's up to what you like, not what anyone else likes. It's a cool bike, enjoy!