Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have the $99 Cobra 2 headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
kite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you have the $99 Cobra 2 headlight?

Just installed the Cobra2 on my 2010 fxdwg. Install went well. I crimped the wires inside the dome which leaves it looking nice and clean. a few questions:

1 Should the position of the tilt be adjustable by hand after tightened?

2 Having a hard time getting the little bolt/screw (not sure what its actually called) under the front ring on bottom, to fit correctly. Should the chrome ring be recessed at the bottom or flush with front edge? (Chrome ring is a pain in the ****)

3 Also had to remove the cover for the fuse box and cant understand how to get the cover back tight.

these are probably dumb things, i thank you in advance...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hand adjustability after installation is a tough one. Realistically, if you can adjust it by hand, it WILL need to be adjusted. Hard bumps, vibrations, etc. can move it if you are able to move it. Personally, I leave mine just barely adjustable, knowing full well that 1) I'm going to need to re-adjust it because it isn't tightened down hard, and 2) as I keep adjusting it, I'm eventually going to have to re-torque/re-loctite the nut since the metal will wear at each adjustment.

That set screw on the bottom is only to prevent the front ring from unscrewing itself. There are only a few threads available to it. Screw that that chrome ring down to full depth in order to keep everything behind it nice and tight (to keep rattles and breakage down). Note that I put a touch of locktite on that set screw to make sure it didn't back out since there are so few threads.

As to the cover, the only time I've had issues with it not being snug is when I keep trying to put it in backwards.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
kite
Tourer

Thanks!!

Its seems it tilts even when i tighten it down hard. I have a habit of breaking bolts so i'm trying to be careful.

The cover allen bolts just spin when i tighten them. Is that right?

Thanks again!!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member

I only have a single allen set screw at the bottom of the light. Maybe you can post a pic to make sure we're talking the same thing?

For the tilt, star washers or lock washers can help that out (star is probably better in this case). Definitely don't torque it past the spec for the bolt (not sure what it is, but is probably in the service manual).

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM
kite
Tourer

Star washers is a good idea.

This comment "The cover allen bolts just spin when i tighten them. Is that right?" i was referring to the cover over the fuse box. Those allen bolts just spin...

thx

Old 11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

The cover does not bolt on, it's held on by grommets. Push on, pull off. Those allen bolts don't secure the cover, is that what you used to remove it?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 PM
kite
Tourer

Originally Posted by nevil
The cover does not bolt on, it's held on by grommets. Push on, pull off. Those allen bolts don't secure the cover, is that what you used to remove it?
just looked at it again, i'm retarded...

Last edited by kite; 11-06-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Don't be too hard on yourself. I think we've all been there at one time or another.
I do have a suggestion for you, though. You said you crimped the wires. Crimping is not the best connection for the long run, so you might want to solder those wires and use heat shrink tubing.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:15 PM
kite
Tourer

I crimped and wrapped them pretty tigthly with tape. If i have a problem i'll know where it is. Wasn't comfortable trying to solder inside the dome. Don't really have the tools or skills, lol...

Love the way the light works/looks. Next project begins tonight. Kuryakyn part 9064 which is 3inch extended forward controls, i'm excited...

Old 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member

Give us some before/after shots on the extended forwards. I have that same set in the garage waiting for some really cold weather to force me inside.

Quick Reply: Do you have the $99 Cobra 2 headlight?