Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ohlins Front End - Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Turbo ray 44
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice set up

Looks like a rider.
Good job.

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
A few months ago I began thinking about a new front end for my '00 FXDL. This came about because I was so impressed with the Ohlins rear shocks I recently put on the bike, and wanted a front end to match the performance.

Some brief background. The bike had a 39mm narrow glide front end with Custom Cycle Engineering triple trees and fork truss. It also had Progressive Fork Springs.

I spoke with Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com who told me about the Ohlins FGK 205 30mm Cartridges, which with some work on his end would work with Harley's 49mm front end. Since I had a 39mm front end, we would need to do a conversion to the 49mm mid glide. Howard did all the machine work and between us we gathered all the parts, including dyna triple trees, Nightrod Special lower forks, fork tubes, new 1" hub and axle (old wheel hub was 3/4"), custom fender brackets, Ohlins FGK cartridges, fork springs, etc. If your bike already has a 49mm front end you're way ahead of the game!

The cool thing about the Ohlins cartridges are that they are fully adjustable; the right fork for the rebound and the left fork for compression.

Once the build from Howard's end was complete, Rosa's Cycles, who did all the performance work on my bike, did the install and setup of the new front end.

My initial impression when I took it for my first ride was, the ride is amazing! Andrew Rosa, who test rode it said it was incredible the way bike handles on rutted and pot holed roads, and he was 100% right. It was amazing how the front end just soaked up the irregularities. The front end also gave the bike a real precision feel.

Over the weekend I put on about 150 miles and can report the following: Control over uneven roads is amazing, as is tight turn and sweeping turn responsiveness. On hard braking, front end dive is very controlled. Stability up to 120 MPH (the fastest I went) was great, especially since the bike previously used to get a front end wobble, usually around 100MPH. Overall, the comfort and performance is just awesome and I couldn't be more impressed.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
A few months ago I began thinking about a new front end for my '00 FXDL. This came about because I was so impressed with the Ohlins rear shocks I recently put on the bike, and wanted a front end to match the performance.

Some brief background. The bike had a 39mm narrow glide front end with Custom Cycle Engineering triple trees and fork truss. It also had Progressive Fork Springs.

I spoke with Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com who told me about the Ohlins FGK 205 30mm Cartridges, which with some work on his end would work with Harley's 49mm front end. Since I had a 39mm front end, we would need to do a conversion to the 49mm mid glide. Howard did all the machine work and between us we gathered all the parts, including dyna triple trees, Nightrod Special lower forks, fork tubes, new 1" hub and axle (old wheel hub was 3/4"), custom fender brackets, Ohlins FGK cartridges, fork springs, etc. If your bike already has a 49mm front end you're way ahead of the game!

The cool thing about the Ohlins cartridges are that they are fully adjustable; the right fork for the rebound and the left fork for compression.

Once the build from Howard's end was complete, Rosa's Cycles, who did all the performance work on my bike, did the install and setup of the new front end.

My initial impression when I took it for my first ride was, the ride is amazing! Andrew Rosa, who test rode it said it was incredible the way bike handles on rutted and pot holed roads, and he was 100% right. It was amazing how the front end just soaked up the irregularities. The front end also gave the bike a real precision feel.

Over the weekend I put on about 150 miles and can report the following: Control over uneven roads is amazing, as is tight turn and sweeping turn responsiveness. On hard braking, front end dive is very controlled. Stability up to 120 MPH (the fastest I went) was great, especially since the bike previously used to get a front end wobble, usually around 100MPH. Overall, the comfort and performance is just awesome and I couldn't be more impressed.
How much did all the parts and labor cost you?

Old 11-15-2010, 03:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Thanks for the report bigdaddy33. I hope to follow in your footsteps before too long!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Sounds like you spent a lot of money and time to re-invent the FXDX front end.
There is a big difference between the performance of a 30 mm Ohlins fork cartridge kit than that of anyone other fork cartridge kit, much less the vastly inferior HD Showa suspension. There simply is no comparison between the two (HD Showa & Ohlins 30 mm). There is a reason why everyone that won AMA SuperBike this year did so using Ohlins products such as the 30 mm kit.

The problem lies with those in the HD field who do not educate the HD motorcycle enthusiast nor do most HD motorcycle enthusiast's wish to read and educate themselves about what actually makes a bike ride & perform vastly superior to stock. Chrome it, that will make it work better, ya!

Stu has undoubtedly the absolute best commercially available suspension system for a Dyna by many years to come. There has never been anything ever offered for a Harley and nothing delivers the performance like the 30 mm kit does. I am ordering the 30 mm kit for my FXR and putting them inside of my inverted forks and tossing the race tuned and expensive KYB 25 mm cartridges that are currently in them. The difference is that much.

PS Ohlins does not give anything away, I mean one lost washer or a bolt. I have to pay out of my own pocket for the 30 mm cartridges the same as anyone else (minus my labor & profit margin). They still cost me over $1,000 before shipping.

Last edited by FastHarley; 11-15-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add last
Old 11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Stu - thanks for the good words ...

What kind of new front wheel you sporting ...? Looks like you've got an Avon Venom-X 100/90 19" S7H front tire ... (at least that's the best I could make out from your photo) ....

I know the rear shocks also come with remote reservoirs ... any way to mount them on a Dyna ... (i.e., so the attached reservoirs don't offend hdforum members' collective aesthetic sensibilites) ...?

I've seen those on the XR1200 ... but they mount under the fender ... obviously that wouldn't work on a Dyna ....

According to Howard, sounds like you're on the leading edge of Dyna suspension technology ... congrats!

R/
'Chop

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really? Was going to go with black powder and chrome spring after I was sure I was happy with the performance, but decided I like the way they look. Guys who understand performance appreciate the shocks, and those that are not familiar tend to come over to take a look and ask about them.

Aside from the performance, it does set the bike apart and the comments are generally positive. It's kind of fun to even hear the negative comments regarding the looks, so thanks for taking the time to post. BTW, you're in good company, my daughter doesn't like the color either!

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
how come you have yellow rear shocks, looks like a ricer

Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Surf

Thanks. The front wheel is the Performance Machine Vintage. It's the same wheel thats been on the bike but I did have to change the hub as the new setup uses a 1" axle compared to the old 3/4" axle. With the black lower fork the wheel and brake really "pop".

As for the tire, you've got pretty good eyes. It's an Avon Venom 100/90-19 57H and is a real nice handling tire.

Ohlins has a line of shocks, some with external reservoirs like mine and some without. They even have one where ther external reservoir is connected by a hose so I suppose it may be possible to be creative and find a less obvious location to mount it.

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Hey Stu - thanks for the good words ...

What kind of new front wheel you sporting ...? Looks like you've got an Avon Venom-X 100/90 19" S7H front tire ... (at least that's the best I could make out from your photo) ....

I know the rear shocks also come with remote reservoirs ... any way to mount them on a Dyna ... (i.e., so the attached reservoirs don't offend hdforum members' collective aesthetic sensibilites) ...?

I've seen those on the XR1200 ... but they mount under the fender ... obviously that wouldn't work on a Dyna ....

According to Howard, sounds like you're on the leading edge of Dyna suspension technology ... congrats!

R/
'Chop

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Bigdaddy33
your ride looks good and nice write up
can you provide any info on the handle bar clamp with the indicator lights?
part# manufacture etc

Thanks Carl

Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The bike looks awesome and I really like the new front end. I am sure that upgrade to the mid glide was exactly what you needed to finish her off. You were stating earlier that you were thinking of pc the springs and canister on the rear shocks. NO..... Leave it just the way it is as I bet you get a lot of compliments. When I come up with a few bucks to do some mods to mine I will definitely pick your brain as you have really done your homework. Ride Safe....

Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride and nice write-up. Thanks BD33

Quick Reply: New Ohlins Front End - Review