Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is a stator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Los11
Please tons of people probably have no idea what the stator is or does or where it is located....
Understand, and I supplied proper advice on how to expand knowledge...what's wrong w/that??? You do know computers w/internet access are connected to many other sources of knowledge base, right?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM
extsieg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info

Here you go found a good info site for you here!!

STATOR INFO

Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The stator can also fry when the leads physically short together which causes it to becomes a load in the charging circuit. The same happens when the regulator/rectifier blows diodes to short mode and the stator becomes a load, heating the windings....that increases the resistance, heating the coils, increasing the resistance.....until the insulation burns off and the windings go dead short.
If you have a stator go, check the regulator/rectifier, too. I've gotten to the point where I just assume the reg/rect. is toast and change both as a matter of course.
Evos have a problem with the plug where the reg/rect. leads enter the crankcase and connect to the stator. These get moisture in them and the current jumps the pins, causing corrosion and eventually toasts the electricals. Take extreme care in sealing the plug assy. Rather common problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
skinless
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Anyone who doesn't know what it is needs to stop riding, buy a service manual & start reading...

Or they join a forum and ask the question. One of the proposes for this section is to ask questions. Don't fault the guy for not knowing. At least he asked instead of just keeping quite about it.

Manual Police
I don't have a manual so I can't ride any more but I did stay the night at a Holiday Inn. So can I or not?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks everyone except for one unaswered question. Does primary oil have any effect on the stators life span?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
Thanks everyone except for one unaswered question. Does primary oil have any effect on the stators life span?
No, none whatsoever. Besides, if you ran the stock primary oil all the time, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Stators are sealed in epoxy and are designed to run in oil.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
No, none whatsoever. Besides, if you ran the stock primary oil all the time, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Stators are sealed in epoxy and are designed to run in oil.
I don't run stock primary oil, I use Bel Ray primary oil, is that ok? It,s just that I read something that said the reason a stator may have fried is because of the oil the guy ran in there, which was Belray, which is what I use.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

In the old days we had generator, then alternators, and now stators. Well, all I now is that each time they change those electrical making devices, is that, each time they change em the cost and difficulty of repairing them goes way up.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I don't run stock primary oil, I use Bel Ray primary oil, is that ok? It,s just that I read something that said the reason a stator may have fried is because of the oil the guy ran in there, which was Belray, which is what I use.
I have seen signs of chemical permeation on the insulation around the stator, so the possibility of failures resulting from this are not unheard of. I blame it on the additives used in oils not designed for use here. I use ATF and it doesnt seem to create any problems. Not sure about BelRay though.

I also have to agree with Dynamic's statements. Replace 'em both and dont ask questions. Playing russian roulette a hundred miles from nowhere is a game I prefer not to partake in.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Understand, and I supplied proper advice on how to expand knowledge...what's wrong w/that??? You do know computers w/internet access are connected to many other sources of knowledge base, right?
More the stop riding part bro... I mean really you dont need to know the bike front and back to ride.. I am sure there are plenty of people dont know what the alternator does my wife is one of them should she not drive her car..

It was more your statment thats why people post on here to find stuff out hitting the guy with pick up a manual and stop riding discourage's guys from posting that is my point..

Quick Reply: What the heck is a stator?