Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Not Working...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Not Working...

I just realized my fuel gauge does not work. It just sits below E and never moves. Is this common? Is there something I should check, or a way to fix it?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Fixintu
Cruiser

Hard to answer without more details but anything NOT working as designed is not "normal". What model & year is the bike? Is it the stock gauge? Have you checked any and all connections/fuses? Got fuel?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the guys, including me, rarely if ever look at the gauge anyway. They seem to be very inaccurate. I watch my mileage count.

The following users liked this post:
REW13 (05-30-2021)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
bikertrashchad
Advanced

The gauge is fed by an old-school float setup like the grand-old Briggs and Stratton go-kart motor. The good news is that they are easy to work on but a pain-in-the-*** to get to. Make sure that you have ample fuel in it, shake the bike back and forth, then start it up to so if anything moves. The float is located on the right top side of your fuel tank and attaches to a bracket that is located on the tunnel.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the tank is grounded. The float sensor only works when you have a good tank ground.

I replaced the float and when I tested it out I still had no gauge reading. I used a short ground wire to the frame and the gauge has worked perfectly ever since. I could have saved myself about $80 had I just grounded the float first.

Another good way to test the wiring is to remove the wire from the float and ground that wire. It should give you a full tank reading unless you have no voltage to the gauge, or a wiring issue from the gauge to the float.

Let's hope it's that simple for you.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Barz
Cruiser

Thanks for the help guys. I have been just sloshing to make sure I have fuel. Fuel gauge in my old bike didnt work either...nor did the speedo...which i dont even have one on this so im used to it. lol. I was just curious because it lights up but never reads. I have been debating the peanut tank swap but the jury is still out on that one. I havent seen many pics of dynas with peanuts on them. Who knows...so many ideas, so little time..lol

Old 05-17-2021, 02:00 AM
Marco Barbieri
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Make sure the tank is grounded. The float sensor only works when you have a good tank ground.

I replaced the float and when I tested it out I still had no gauge reading. I used a short ground wire to the frame and the gauge has worked perfectly ever since. I could have saved myself about $80 had I just grounded the float first.

Another good way to test the wiring is to remove the wire from the float and ground that wire. It should give you a full tank reading unless you have no voltage to the gauge, or a wiring issue from the gauge to the float.

Let's hope it's that simple for you.
Hi Johnny, I have the same problem with my Dyna. Could you explain how can I ground the wire as you said please

Old 05-19-2021, 12:28 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco Barbieri
Hi Johnny, I have the same problem with my Dyna. Could you explain how can I ground the wire as you said please
Marco,
You're responding to a 10 years old thread....
Perhaps I can help you on this issue.
What year and model Dyna do you own?

Old 05-29-2021, 03:47 PM
Marco Barbieri
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Marco,
You're responding to a 10 years old thread....
Perhaps I can help you on this issue.
What year and model Dyna do you own?
Thanks You! It is a FXDB street Bob 2008. I opened the center of the tank and throw wd40 to the float system but ii still doesn't work.
It could be that the tank or the gauge are not grounded but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for your help

Old 05-30-2021, 05:00 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco Barbieri
Thanks You! It is a FXDB street Bob 2008. I opened the center of the tank and throw wd40 to the float system but ii still doesn't work.
It could be that the tank or the gauge are not grounded but I don't know how to do it. Thanks for your help
Here's the wiring diagram...

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Not Working...