Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Home made quick detach saddle bags (how to with pics) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/627062-home-made-quick-detach-saddle-bags-how-to-with-pics.html)

Scrotum 04-01-2011 02:54 PM

Home made quick detach saddle bags (how to with pics)

9 Attachment(s)
Here are some quick detachable saddlebags I made, let me know what you think.

Trace the bottom of the detachable sissy bar side plate onto a piece of cardboard then cut it out; I also did the bolt position so I could reference it later.

Attachment 537319

After I cut out the cardboard outline I copied that to a piece of flat steel that is the same thickness of the sissy bar side plate.

Attachment 537320

Then I took a grinder and rough cut the outline of the bracket, after i rough cut the bracket I took a drill bit that fit the circumference of the mounting slots and drilled holes out for the rounded part of the slots, then i went back to the angle grinder and cut the straight part until it met the holes I drilled.

Attachment 537321

I then mounted the detachable latch kit I picked up on ebay for $20 or so and rattle canned the bracket black.

Attachment 537322

Once this was done I took some throw over saddle bags I found on craigslist for $30 and drilled two mount holes that went through the bags and bracket, mounted them with these barrel nuts/bolts I salvaged from an old piece of furniture (you can buy them at Lowes in the hardware section for like $5 or so)

Attachment 537323

I also fabbed up some support brackets to keep the bags from flopping around by looping the ends of some ¼” round steel around the bolts that hold the bags to the detach brackets

Attachment 537324

At first I made them so they could fit where the sissy bar mounts, but the ol’ lady kept screaming about not having a backrest so I turned the brackets around and picked up another set of mounting hardware (again from ebay, they where for a sportster but I just drilled the bolt holes a bit bigger and they fit fine) and put them on the outside of the sissy bar mounts but this time I put the large one in the front. So now I can run both at once.

Attachment 537325

finished pics

Attachment 537326

Attachment 537327

I know i still need to remove the zipper's from the throw over part on the saddle bag just haven't gotten there yet.

bobnehoc 04-01-2011 03:56 PM

They look great....Really nice job on the brackets. Awesome write up as well. I was thinking of doing something similar if and when I get saddlebags. Now I know this will work. You should show some pics of the side of the bike so we can see the whole bike.....

wheel752 04-01-2011 04:01 PM

A fabricator....nice job.

8541hog 04-01-2011 04:30 PM

Another clever monkey.... Well done, have been looking to score another set of sideplates to build for for tourpak setup, this gives me another idea....

Scrotum 04-01-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 8541hog (Post 8131325)
Another clever monkey.... Well done, have been looking to score another set of sideplates to build for for tourpak setup, this gives me another idea....

I am looking at building a tour pack in the same fashion just haven't got the wifey to approve me buying the stuff yet. she keeps saying something about food for the kids being more important, i just don't get her sometimes :)

8541hog 04-01-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scrotum (Post 8131338)
I am looking at building a tour pack in the same fashion just haven't got the wifey to approve me buying the stuff yet. she keeps saying something about food for the kids being more important, i just don't get her sometimes :)

Thankfully mine is grown and on his own, and the OL loves to ride and always lets me know when Santa shows up at the front door with new parts....LOL

Scrotum 04-01-2011 05:08 PM

couple of overall pics

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bobnehoc (Post 8131187)
They look great....Really nice job on the brackets. Awesome write up as well. I was thinking of doing something similar if and when I get saddlebags. Now I know this will work. You should show some pics of the side of the bike so we can see the whole bike.....

here you go a couple of overall pics

Attachment 537317

Attachment 537318

Robtarra39 04-01-2011 05:55 PM

That is freaking brilliant, well done and very nice,i will be doing the same using your idea if you don't mind.

Congrats

robtarra

otter8 04-01-2011 06:16 PM

Great job and thanks for the know how on how to do it. Now just need the time to do it but I will squeeze it in somehow. Thank you.

rowan 04-01-2011 06:27 PM

Nice job. Well done.
Carl