Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So close to buy a Dyna, but there is one big turnoff.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then go buy a Goldwing and pound sand!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
NONE of the Harleys are out of the box racers...Come on, it's a push rod overhead valve engine. Lots of other manufactures make faster and more competitive bikes and Harleys are a cruiser style bike. Every single car I ever purchased, had limitations and ANY vehicle you will ever buy will have to be adapted to. A Harley is no different...If the motor and suspension on a Dyna give you the *******, there is always BMW or better yet Bimota...go for it.

I agree, probably 80% of Harley owners never ride their bikes aggressively enough to experience the wallowing that the rubber mounted engine / trans. mounted swing arm design causes. Let's face it, most people buy a Harley for it's looks not because it's the best handling bike. That's one of the main reasons that good handling Harleys like the FXDX and FXR didn't sell well enough to stay in production. Like any bike you have to know your Harleys limitations. They are fun to ride in the twisties, but you're not going to hang with the sport bikes. The same could be said for the cruiser models of most any make.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 PM
A1ACruiser
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastjoe
I agree, probably 80% of Harley owners never ride their bikes aggressively enough to experience the wallowing that the rubber mounted engine / trans. mounted swing arm design causes. Let's face it, most people buy a Harley for it's looks not because it's the best handling bike. That's one of the main reasons that good handling Harleys like the FXDX and FXR didn't sell well enough to stay in production. Like any bike you have to know your Harleys limitations. They are fun to ride in the twisties, but you're not going to hang with the sport bikes. The same could be said for the cruiser models of most any make.
I do not know what it is but, every time I ride my Dyna FXD. I beat the sh^t out of it. Handles just fine for me.

2010 Dyna FXD

Attached Thumbnails So close to buy a Dyna, but there is one big turnoff.-photo-0177.jpg  

Last edited by A1ACruiser; 04-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 PM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Duke as you can tell by the comments it is like you called their kid a gimp/handicap, or said their wife looks bad in a wet T shirt. Truth be known I don't think anyone knows why. I know I like how mine rides. I also like how she looks wet!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It does seem like the folks here take ready defense to anything deemed negative about their bike. Any questions or opinions challenging their status quo are viewed as deservant of ridicule.

It's like asking a punk kid why he wears his pants below his butt. If his peers think it makes him look cool, that's enough reason for him. You won't get an intelligent answer in either situation.

I applaud you for your interest in a Dyna, they are the best handling of the big twins. As mentioned, your question of why the swingarm isn't mounted to the frame is best answered by the engineering department at Harley, but the origin of that design probably predates their current staff's employment.

The only suggestion I have is to install a True-Track and eliminate this perceived flaw.

There have been people go down with this exact design. My cousin lost his beautiful wife on a ride when a longitudinal crack in the road caught her tires. Might have happened in any bike, but it's a good idea to make your own bike as good as you possibly can.

Thanks for bringing this up. Might just make me want to investigate making improvements to my Dyna.

Just last night I was checking out True-Track and wondering how I could possibly make the front one fit with my current oil cooler and fan, or if I could just buy the rear one separate.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by A1ACruiser
I do not know what it is but, every time I ride my Dyna FDX. I beat the sh^t out of it. Handles just fine for me.
All of my Dynas have handled well too. Even the 16 year old Wide Glide I recently sold. I have felt the wallow that people speak of on a few occasions though. It was never enough to really scare me. Still, you're just not going to be able to take the same curve as fast as a sport bike. They have better suspension, better tires, and better lean angles and ground clearance. I'm just trying to get it across to the OP that Dyna's aren't designed with that kind of riding in mind. It's a cruiser.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 493 Likes on 344 Posts

I've ridden older Dyna's (mostly Evo's) but I thought they handled really well. Not a (huge) fan of the 21" frt wheel on the WG, but still think they handle!!

I want to ride a FatBob. Those look cool. I'll bet w/that lesser rake and that big frt tire those handle !!!

Don't (all) rubber mount Harley's (including the FXR) have the swingarm/trans mnt to the frame?

Do they really even NEED a stabalizer?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 22duke
...why the heck did they not mount that damn swingarm in the frame, like they have done on their Touring models ?????...
Originally Posted by 22duke
...Could they not just have made it like they have done with their Touring models. OR have I overlooked something, construction wise...

I really really want the Dyna, but I have to understand why I they made on that way.
On the touring bikes, Harley uses a counterbalanced motor (internal rotating counterbalance) to reduce vibrations. On the Dyna's, the motor has no counterbalance and, instead,the entire motor/trans unit is rubber-mounted, to reduce vibrations. In order to enable close tolerances and precise belt tension and alignment, the swingarm assembly pivots directly off the trans, assuring exact alignment geometry. The elimination of the counterbalance simplifies the Dyna's motor, makes it lighter and more efficient. The rubber-mounted motor is free to shake, at idle speeds, but smooths out almost the instant it comes off idle. The Dyna approach has been well proven over the last couple decades, and works well in practice.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Don't (all) rubber mount Harley's (including the FXR) have the swingarm/trans mnt to the frame?

Do they really even NEED a stabalizer?
No, on FXR and touring models the swing arm is mounted in the frame not to the trans. like on a Dyna.

Whether they NEED a stabalizer or not really depends on how hard you ride IMHO. I've never felt they needed it badly enough to buy one for one of my bikes.

Originally Posted by lo-rider
On the touring bikes, Harley uses a counterbalanced motor (internal rotating counterbalance) to reduce vibrations.
Actually that's not true Lo-Rider. Touring bikes are unbalanced motors and rubber mounted just like a Dyna. The difference is that the swing arm on the touring bike is mounted in the frame and not to the transmission.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Joe, thought it was all the touring bikes and Softails.

Quick Reply: So close to buy a Dyna, but there is one big turnoff.