Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheared Off Rear Pulley Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
skydive-r
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelary07
Had this happen to me but the bike (FLHTC) spit me off lowside at about 20-25 mph. I think this problem could be solved simply by requiring either lock washers, or safety wire through the heads of the bolts. This is an engineering problem, just as someone earlier stated, that could easily be solved. I would hope that HD would revisit this issue. Since it is a safety issue also..( my bike went down and suffered cosmetic and crash bar damage, this is a customer concern issue. Also..as you all may have been told,My Service rep said that HD does not cover "critical fastener" failures..If so many of us are being asked to pick up the damage tab ourselves, why, in the interest of customer safety and customer satisfaction issues has no solution been forwarded. Or has it and I missed the memo. My bike is an 07 FLHTC. just wonderin'...Anyone?
I checked on a lawyer ,they want $250.00 just to meet with me. called a rep for harley, they pass it off on" not changing bolts" as listed in service manual. looks like they know the problem exist, their not going to confirm it ,so good luck.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 PM
99%r
Tourer

Anyone have a ARP part number for pulley bolts for a 2011 Fxdc?

All These posts have me freaked out

Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

Originally Posted by 99%r
Anyone have a ARP part number for pulley bolts for a 2011 Fxdc?

All These posts have me freaked out
i just emailed them. going to try and figure this out and swap out my bolts so i don't have this problem either. hd shouldn't be using grade 5 hardware on something like the pulley.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,651 Likes on 3,888 Posts

Originally Posted by oldlefty
i just emailed them. going to try and figure this out and swap out my bolts so i don't have this problem either. hd shouldn't be using grade 5 hardware on something like the pulley.
Harley uses grade 8 (with the 6 dashes) on the pulley bolts. Properly torqued and the use of red grade permant loctite and they will not shear unless somehow they get loose or the engine is highly modified. grade 8 = 150,000 or above tensile grade 5 = 105,000 to 120,000 tensile

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-27-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

i would really hope they are grd 8. funny i just had a lot of stuff powder coated and my pulley was one of the pieces. just started to put it all back together and then this old thread popped up that i haven't seen before. got me thinking.
i don't see how torquing them, or checking torque, or re-torquing these bolts could stress and cause grd 8 bolts to sheer off. one would think they would pull the threads out of the aluminum hub before stressing a bolt.
i have noticed that there is ''play'' in the pulley when bolts are loose. maybe pulley is moving under extreme load and hitting the bolts and then sheering off because of the ''play'' or the holes in pulley being larger than bolt o.d.
not too sure tho.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
99%r
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldlefty
Please post what you find out!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bolts loosening leads to shearing.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had this happen this weekend with Slotted Six Spoke Rims. I used all the Harley supplied and recommended spacers and bolt replacements. It was around 8,000 mile that it happened.

The only difference was I had a new rear tire put on in Sept 2012 from a local Harley Dealership. Where the bolts broke there wan't any sign of lock-tite. I have not backed the bots from the rims out yet to verify.

It it looks like the fix is going to be going back to my old laced rims, or buying a new rear Slotted Mag rim, new pulley, and possible a new belt.
Going to Harley seems like a waste of time. I think they have a 30-90 day warranty on replaced wheels.
Do you guys think it would be worth going to the dealer who installed the rear wheel and asking what can be don about it?

I had just finished a 200 mile trip, and the failure happened at a red light a block form my destination. Good think this didn't happen on I-40.

Oh. And the hub of the mag wheel is toast. The side is blown out of some of the holes. The pulley holes are now oval. The pulley came off and broke the bolt on the belt guard. Another thing that worries me is if the axle got bent as well. It seems that the sleeve is scratch to hell as well. I will try to have pics up soon. I just got home, and it is at my buddies house. I have to trailer it home in a week or so. But I will keep you updated.

Last edited by editbrain; 04-14-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How can you ask someone else to pay for this? No. Pre-ride inspections are the owner's responsibility. Who last checked critical fasteners? When? You might find used replacements.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I did pre-ride inspections, and have kept better maintenance on my bike than most.

Your speculation is just that.

Quick Reply: Sheared Off Rear Pulley Bolts