Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will adding air stop popping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will adding air stop popping?

Stock 2010 FXDC w/XIED's ran fine with stock mufflers. Added some Rush slip on's (Slash Cut w/1.75 baffles) and had a bunch of popping, so I removed the XIED's. Popping was greatly reduced, but not eliminated. I was thinking that adding a Stage 1 AC might allow me to reconnect the XIED's and eliminate the popping. My logic being that more air will allow the unburned fuel, that is presently being dumped into the exhaust system, will ignite in the cylinders. I know that a module with the correct map will accomplish what I need, but my pool and boat are both eating up cash also.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts

I had the same problem with an '08 FXDC, Rush slip ons (1.75) and ended up with a Big Sucker but had to get a tuner to eleminate the decel popping. The XIEd's didn't do the trick.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NELS
I had the same problem with an '08 FXDC, Rush slip ons (1.75) and ended up with a Big Sucker but had to get a tuner to eleminate the decel popping. The XIEd's didn't do the trick.

Curious, did u install the Big sucker prior to tuning it? and if so how did it run?

I have a SE heavy and will be tuning in a few weeks, was thinking about putting it on now even tho I dont have tuning done yet...

((sorry for the thread jack, kinda))

Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM
vtwin47
Advanced

Don't have XIEd's but have a complete stage 1 with SE freeflow filter, V&H Pro Pipe Chrome with quiet baffle and a V&H FuelPak, and get some popping on decel. Have checked the torque several times and everything is tight. I think this just may be normal. I read a lenghtly article on this a few years ago and I think it summed by saying it is a non issue.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NELS
Was the popping reduced at all? I can live with it the way it is now for awhile, but I'm just thinking the AC would have some effect until I'm ready to get a proper tune.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

First 2 things to check for decel popping are exhaust nuts, an exhaust leak will cause it, and throttle behavior, only partially rolling off the throttle will also cause decel popping, close the throttle all the way when you shift or slow down, and see if you still have it or if it decreases.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may have leaned your Air/Fuel ratio to much. This will cause popping as well. Check your plugs. Change your plugs to the standard HD plug, not the SE plugs. Run your bike for a while. Then check the color. They should be a light to dark tan. If they white, you're running lean. My bike did this when I changed my mufflers.

Have you done a Stage One yet? The dealer can remap your engine. Not cheap though.

But, to confuse you more, with just a muffler change your O2 sensors should be able to adjust.

If your too lean you can cause a piston to burn.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

There are no exhaust leaks, and closed throttle makes no difference. It pops less with the factory AFR setting. With the XIED"s the richer AFR made it pop more. Exhaust in the pipes is black as it should be. I'm just going to upgrade the AC and see what happens, and if that doesn't work, I'll decide on a module.

Even with a little bit of decel popping, these Rush slip ons sound bad a$$.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

My signature shows what I run on my F-Bob. I get some slight decel popping every now and then, sometimes on a cold start, sometimes on a warm start. Changed exh gaskets and muff clamps, torqued and re-torqued, intermittent popping still occurs. Spark plugs are off-white/tanish. I just live with it.
~

Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by O-Town D
My signature shows what I run on my F-Bob. I get some slight decel popping every now and then, sometimes on a cold start, sometimes on a warm start. Changed exh gaskets and muff clamps, torqued and re-torqued, intermittent popping still occurs. Spark plugs are off-white/tanish. I just live with it.
~
Agreed but I would still check the exhaust nuts first because they can loosen all by themselves.

Quick Reply: Will adding air stop popping?