Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Who Can Wheelie? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/673446-who-can-wheelie.html)

952dave 08-03-2011 07:49 PM

Who Can Wheelie?

Title pretty much says it all, I'm just wondering who's raising the most hell on their dyna's. I can get the front wheel a couple feet off the ground but I haven't perfected it enough yet to "ride" it yet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLmQ...eature=related

hell hound 08-03-2011 08:05 PM

no i cant do that but those guys look like thier havin some fun

JBoggs 08-03-2011 08:11 PM

I can wheelie but nothing like these guys. My biggest problem is traction and I don't go out and try to wheelie. Can't be real good on the scoot. These guy gotta be having a blast.

Blakerea 08-03-2011 09:48 PM

How do ya do it? I have a 103 stage 4 but havent tried. I am still breaking it in.

j1mmy 08-03-2011 10:35 PM

wheeling starves the engine for oil,the oil all runs to the back of the oil tank/engine and nothing is pumped.. Japanese bikes have a bad problem with it,harleys are a lot worse by design

952dave 08-03-2011 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by j1mmy (Post 8653426)
wheeling starves the engine for oil,the oil all runs to the back of the oil tank/engine and nothing is pumped.. Japanese bikes have a bad problem with it,harleys are a lot worse by design

Sounds good, but I need to see some proof.

MotoSoul11 08-03-2011 11:08 PM

I have wheelied mine a few times just being a tool on the throttle and clutch having fun but I don't make it a habit. Engines cost too much.

j1mmy 08-03-2011 11:21 PM

i have seen plenty of cbr/gsxr boat anchors..with a oil tank,the pick up is in the front of the tank,standing up it is at the top with all the oil sitting at the bottom

AFONE 08-03-2011 11:34 PM

I spent way too much time on one with with my Triumpn Speed Triple....thats why I bought a Harley....to slow me down and keep it on the ground!

lh4x4 08-03-2011 11:35 PM

Wheelies are for those that like to have their transmission main bearing go out, their compensator go out, final drive belt break, shift the pressed crank and other things so that they can bash HD for their inferior product on these forums.

Only immature morons do that behavior.:icon_stooge:

HolePuncher 08-03-2011 11:39 PM

That's killer. I'd love to see somebody get the front up on a bagger and ride it.

MotoSoul11 08-03-2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by HolePuncher (Post 8653577)
That's killer. I'd love to see somebody get the front up on a bagger and ride it.

There is a video of someone doing it on youtube. I almost cried.

HemiOrange 08-04-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by lh4x4 (Post 8653568)
Wheelies are for those that like to have their transmission main bearing go out, their compensator go out, final drive belt break, shift the pressed crank and other things so that they can bash HD for their inferior product on these forums.

I don't believe a single statement that you made is true.

I also see nothing wrong with the guys getting together and seeing what they can do on a Harley. It's their bike and their skin. Personally, I admire their guts and skills.

I've wheelied a lot of bikes and never had a mechanical problem, nor bashed the manufacturer. I may have matured more now, but that just came with age, not in my mind and I'm certainly not a moron.

Loosen up, ih4x4, and stop worrying about what other people do on a deserted road. You sound like the kind of person that would call the cops if the neighbor's dog pooped in your yard.

Gaffy52 08-04-2011 05:41 AM

Love my scoot and wallet too much to put it through all that stress!!!!!!!!!!

Cowpokey 08-04-2011 05:52 AM

Over several beers with EK a some years ago (1994?), he said he could still ride a wheelie. R.I.P. EK...

BlackhawkDriver 08-04-2011 06:21 AM

I don't think there's any way in hell I could get could get her fat ass into anything resembling a wheelie on my FXDF.

Blakerea 08-04-2011 06:39 AM

What's the best way to do it? I would like to try it one day

vizcarmb 08-04-2011 06:51 AM

Dumping the clutch (clutch wheelie) and some serious balls. That's how you do it

JBoggs 08-04-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blakerea (Post 8653970)
What's the best way to do it? I would like to try it one day

Two ways to do it, using the motor's torque, if it has enough by stomping on the throttle going slow or by clutching it. Get your RPM's up and dump the clutch, if the clutch don't slip or tire spins up ya go.

Like I said before, this can't be good on the scoot, I can think of a number of items that probably don't care to much for wheelies.

Someone mentioned bagger wheelie, this guy rides a RG like a sport bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_jMGbvb9uY

darkcvc 08-04-2011 07:45 AM

They had some motorcycle stunt crew at our local dealer, and they were doing it on tons of sportsters and crotch rockets, but no dynas or anything bigger.

bsljacques 08-04-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBoggs (Post 8654004)
Two ways to do it, using the motor's torque, if it has enough by stomping on the throttle going slow or by clutching it. Get your RPM's up and dump the clutch, if the clutch don't slip or tire spins up ya go.

Like I said before, this can't be good on the scoot, I can think of a number of items that probably don't care to much for wheelies.

Someone mentioned bagger wheelie, this guy rides a RG like a sport bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_jMGbvb9uY

WOW...is all I can say!!!! That guy is awesome...but glad it's his bike and not mine!

WG2011 08-04-2011 08:30 AM

All day on a sport bike on the fxdwg not so much, can't see vids here at work so I will check em when I get home sounds like good entertainment.

hell hound 08-04-2011 09:47 AM

i just dont believe that a wheelie every once and a while is going to hurt my machine. my 06 dyna has 55,000 miles of clutch dumping, burn outs, drag racing, and triple digit highway riding. not to mention blistering south texas heat, a geared down final drive ratio, and some oversized cams. If i wear out a few parts alittle early who cares because it sure was a fun ride.

zoopman 08-04-2011 09:59 AM

Well I know I've had the front wheel off the ground a few times but "wheelie"...no! LOL. Had a kid down the street let me try his unicycle and for the life of me I could not stay on it. If I tried to do a wheelie on any bike I think I would end up on my back. I don't seem to have a sense of balance for one wheel.... got to have at least two on the ground. Looks like kick ass fun for those that can wheelie. :icon_toast:

Sam E. 08-04-2011 10:20 AM

Never been good at finding the balance point. I can power wheelie and hold it up for a bit, but nothing like what these guys can do. A brother in our club ground the back of his fender off doing stright up and down wheelies. That old boy new how to toss around an FXR. Unfortunately diabetes took his foot. Damn shame.

DannyZ71 08-04-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by hell hound (Post 8654471)
i just dont believe that a wheelie every once and a while is going to hurt my machine. my 06 dyna has 55,000 miles of clutch dumping, burn outs, drag racing, and triple digit highway riding. not to mention blistering south texas heat, a geared down final drive ratio, and some oversized cams. If i wear out a few parts alittle early who cares because it sure was a fun ride.

I didn't know the highway numbers got that high in Texas. :D

HolePuncher 08-04-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by HemiOrange (Post 8653794)

I also see nothing wrong with the guys getting together and seeing what they can do on a Harley. It's their bike and their skin. Personally, I admire their guts and skills.

I've wheelied a lot of bikes and never had a mechanical problem, nor bashed the manufacturer. I may have matured more now, but that just came with age, not in my mind and I'm certainly not a moron.

Loosen up, ih4x4, and stop worrying about what other people do on a deserted road. You sound like the kind of person that would call the cops if the neighbor's dog pooped in your yard.

+1
Some people on this forum exhibit less tolerance than a crotchety old Southern Baptist Klu Klux Klanner. (no offense to crotchety old Southern Baptist Klu Klux Klanners)

Fuzzman 08-04-2011 10:52 AM

Can go through all the gears on my dirt bike, for miles, when I had it. Same with my ATC,( 3 wheeler) for you youngins. All the time with my ZX6 I used to own. I'm a little older now, and certainly more cautious. I have never tried one on the Dyna. But I honestly think I would be to scared. So no can't do it. If do decide to, I will film it so you all can laugh at me.

motolocopat 08-04-2011 10:56 AM

+1

Originally Posted by HemiOrange (Post 8653794)

Really since when is riding a wheelie not part of motorcycling? I'm 53 and still love to Pop a Wheelie!

Now there is a big difference between popping a wheelie and riding one out indefinitely. Typically someone that can ride a wheelie can let it back down in a controlled fashion and not create a lot of stress to the steering neck area etc. Riding a wheelie is more about technique as power

Depending on the type of oiling system riding a wheelie can affect engine/transmission. If popping a short power wheelie is going to starve any part of the engine/transmission then I'd consider it a design flaw and wouldn't want any part of that bike except as a garage queen occasional rider.

If you want to learn how to wheelie go get a dirtbike and practice on a bike that will only suffer a couple of hundred dollars damage from flipping it... The act requires that you be able to use the rear brake as well as the throttle.

FWIW I'm power wheelie capable but gave up on riding them out many rear fenders ago

952dave 08-04-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by lh4x4 (Post 8653568)

People like you are the reason that I ride like I do.

nutter 08-04-2011 01:18 PM

ive lifted the front end a few times (not on purpose) but i wont try the full wheelie im afraid the zbars will snap

pete62conv 08-04-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by j1mmy (Post 8653426)

BS! I have wheelied for miles at a time at highway speeds and nothing ever happened to my R6 or my buddies R1s or Gsxrs. I used to do a bit of stunting and ran the hell out of my bike. Its just rough on the head bearings and fork bushings. Perfected it on dual sports and moved to wheeling big bikes. We would have competitions to see who could start to finish a can of beer while wheeling our xr100s through the neighborhood one handed of course. One thing I miss about living in CA is the fellow jack ass riders.

cjlandry 08-04-2011 03:44 PM

When I was a kid, I won a lot of BMX races, and kicked some ass on MX bikes, but I could never master riding a wheelie. I've never tried it on a Harley, and I don't plan to.

I love watching other people do it, though. Cooler'n hell! A lot like watching freestyle shows on several different wheeled contraptions. People can do some amazing things on skateboards, skates, motorcycles, bicycles, 4-wheelers, etc. Absolutely a blast to watch, and worth the price of admission!

Keep on wheelie'in'!

06HarleyStreetBobLoveWillieGSkulls 08-04-2011 06:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luq4w...yer_detailpage

fxdx-fly-by 08-04-2011 07:04 PM

i can easily pull em 10-12'' when i shift to second and third, and once tried to stand on the back pegs and got the front wheel off about 3 or so feet then freaked out and let off, what a big thud!!!! never again...

lh4x4 08-04-2011 08:25 PM

Apparently none here have watched the endless videos on U tube crashing and injuring themselves and others.

I never called the police. I was the police. Loved arresting morons.

MotoSoul11 08-04-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by lh4x4 (Post 8656756)
Apparently none here have watched the endless videos on U tube crashing and injuring themselves and others.

I guess being a cop means you never did anything fun or stupid

redrubicon2004 08-04-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 952dave (Post 8653469)
Sounds good, but I need to see some proof.

Keep trying wheelies and you will have some sooner or later. ;)

Outlaw85wilk 08-05-2011 08:34 AM

That shit looks bad ass! dont think I would have the balls to try that shit, or the money for new tire! Im ready to see this in the X Games now!

Outlaw85wilk 08-05-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lh4x4 (Post 8656756)

I had a ton of respect for motorcycle cops until we had one come to my work and talk to us the other day. What an idiot. I know its just one guy but like most cops he thought he was better than everyone then he started talking about how him and his partner ran into eachother patrolling the streets. I got a good laugh out of it and lost some respect for the Missouri HP.

I guess cops grow up doing nothing fun/stupid. Must be a boring living like that