Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got hit

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Just got hit

So I live in the Philippines and drivers really suck. But I live in a nice community and thought drivers would be a bit better. Anyway, on a 4 lane road in the village (Fort Bonafacio), taxi on inside lane and me on the outside, we come to the intersection and taxi starts to turn left and then halfway thru, turns right into me (normal driving habit in Phils). I thought I was a goner as was pushed toward the curb at about 30mph. Luckily, I rode threw it and didnt crash. I was really shaken and then mad as hell. But then remembered this is the Phils so I should expect this. Life is cheap here and if you get into an argument, someone will get shot (yourself) and foreigners have no rights, so best to keep your cool.

I took the bike straight to the shop after the police investigation and forgot to take pics. But was a bent highway peg and foot peg, turned my gear lever 180 degrees (couldnt shift so had to go home in 1st). Snapped off the horn and left his paint on my tank and gear cover as well as on my boot.

I was able to heat and bend the gear lever straight. The paint can probably be removed and can live with the bent highway/foot peg. Hope nothing internal broke. This is the Philippines so no one has insurance and the taxi driver is lucky to make $20 a day so no point to chase anyone but suck it up and take care of it yourself. With no Harley dealers in the PI, it makes ordering parts more expensive. But all can be fixed in time. Bike looks a little rough, but still its nicer than 90% of other HDs left over from the ex US Military days from Subic.

I was wearing decent boots which took the brunt of the hit. So I have a badly bruised foot and leg, but xrays showed no broken bones. I have a major ride to Leyte Island on Thu (about 2400 km) from Manila so hope the swelling goes down by then. I should be able to ride.

Lesson learned is to wear good gear, the boot saved my foot from major damage. I had a skid lid so now will probably wear my 3/4 and gloves. Just cant tell when **** like this happens.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you survived, but sorry to hear you had an accident.