Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat on a Switchback... did not like the the dealer's pitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,163 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
Plenty of Dyna owners end up spending the $$ to put on detachable/lockable bags, a windshield, floorboards, upgrade to 103" and even 7" headlight. So to me it's just a Dyna with a bunch of accessories attached from the factory. But I'm not sure why they changed the front end to the FL style.

I agree with traveler, the mags don't fit the rest of the styling.

As for the price points approaching the RK, maybe some people don't want a RK. Just saying.
+1, I agree and Have zero desire for a Road King, but would love a Switchback. And to use the Road King arguement, Why get a Road King when you can get a Classic for only $2000 more and get a Tour Pac, Radio, fairing, etc. Each to his own and why worry about what the other guy likes.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it cause of the detatch bags, I would have them on and off all the time...
Its a nice set up!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Onedawg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode the road king and the heritage before I bought the switchback. The road king and switchback may share some similarities, but they ride totally different. The road king is made for the highway and it has a suspension to match. You can do 800 mile days on the road king. The switchback rides much stiffer and you feel every little bump in the road, but it handles great in the twisties. It's a 300 mile a day bike. I like it, but it's not apples to apples to compare it with a road king.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM
ken b
Road Captain

People who compare it to a road king are closet road king wantabees. LOL LIke it's been said, Everyone likes their style bike, that's why they bought it. Not to many haraley owners buy a particular bike because that's all they could afford.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Cobbled look of the Dyna line, you gotta be kidding. The Dyna and Sportster are the only lines that even resemble the earlier Harleys.
Resembling the earlier Harleys has nothing to do with looking cobbled. I think that the earlier Harleys also looked "cobbled" together.

What I mean is that the engine, transmission, and battery box don't look like they flow together to me. At all. They look like someone just picked parts out of bins marked "engines"transmissions" and "battery" and bolted them together. Or like different design teams worked completely separately on them.

I think that the engine and transmission of the sportster is far more aesthetically pleasing, and looks like it was designed together, along with the battery and oil tank covers.

I think that the softails look more refined and purposefully designed too.

s.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ken b
People who compare it to a road king are closet road king wantabees. LOL LIke it's been said, Everyone likes their style bike, that's why they bought it. Not to many haraley owners buy a particular bike because that's all they could afford.
Doubt that about the wannabee thing. You would be amazed at how many people buy a certain model to save money and then just go through huge buyers remorse about their purchase. If you don't believe me then just think about all of the people that bought sportsters to only kick themselves in the *** for not getting a big twin/ six speed. If the FLD turns out to be a hit and I really doubt that then you will see a huge influx of used 12's next year from people that wished they had bought the RK first instead of the RQ. I mean come on now, have you seen a RQ parked side by side with a RK? For a little over a grand there will be thousands kicking themselves for not pulling the trigger on the RK. Just step back and look at the two bikes and tell me the RK isn't a steel for the price difference. Buy a RQ and everytime you pull up next to a RK you will want the King.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM
sibur
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stopped at a local dealer and checked out the Switcback, it looked good to me ,unfortunately it was sold and I couldn't take it for a ride.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,163 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Resembling the earlier Harleys has nothing to do with looking cobbled. I think that the earlier Harleys also looked "cobbled" together.

What I mean is that the engine, transmission, and battery box don't look like they flow together to me. At all. They look like someone just picked parts out of bins marked "engines"transmissions" and "battery" and bolted them together. Or like different design teams worked completely separately on them.

I think that the engine and transmission of the sportster is far more aesthetically pleasing, and looks like it was designed together, along with the battery and oil tank covers.

I think that the softails look more refined and purposefully designed too.

s.
I do agree with your statement about softails, they were purposefully designed for Rigid frame wannabees.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmm... interesting. I agree, of course.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Doubt that about the wannabee thing. You would be amazed at how many people buy a certain model to save money and then just go through huge buyers remorse about their purchase. If you don't believe me then just think about all of the people that bought sportsters to only kick themselves in the *** for not getting a big twin/ six speed. If the FLD turns out to be a hit and I really doubt that then you will see a huge influx of used 12's next year from people that wished they had bought the RK first instead of the RQ. I mean come on now, have you seen a RQ parked side by side with a RK? For a little over a grand there will be thousands kicking themselves for not pulling the trigger on the RK. Just step back and look at the two bikes and tell me the RK isn't a steel for the price difference. Buy a RQ and everytime you pull up next to a RK you will want the King.

Your stance on the matter is well documented.

Quick Reply: Sat on a Switchback... did not like the the dealer's pitch