Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   FatBoB fob flop (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/691266-fatbob-fob-flop.html)

rhinoWErX 09-23-2011 01:18 PM

FatBoB fob flop

Was getting ready this morning to ride the FatBob to work (usual Friday ritual). As I pulled the bike out of the garage the alarm beeped. I had the Fob with me and figured it just hadn't recognized it yet. Second chirp and I pull it out of my pocket and dump it on the seat. Third chirp and it's all but too late - the alarm is blaring. :icon_omg: I start waving the fob around over the bike like Harry Potter trying to cast a spell but it makes no difference. Thirty seconds sure can seem like a long time at 5:30am, when everything else is quite.

So I figure it's the key fob battery that's died.

Is it just a case of replacing the battery and all will be right again, or do I have to reset something?

It probably took me another 20 minutes to carefully maneuver the bike back into the garage again without setting off the alarm.

Luckily I have another bike that I was able to ride to work today.

lazy eye 09-23-2011 01:27 PM

I don't have an alarm on my bike, but the bike will still flash its turn signals and won't start if I don't have the fob. I was having issues with my bike not wanting to start when I keep the fob on my belt. I went and changed the batteries in both and everything went back to normal. No need to reset anything, at least for me.

SaberWuf 09-23-2011 02:14 PM

next time use the alarm pin till you can get new batteries.

rhinoWErX 09-23-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SaberWuf (Post 8853226)
next time use the alarm pin till you can get new batteries.

I think I might have been shown that by the dealer when I first bought the bike in 2008 - not sure I remember the steps now though, or my pin...

blacknsilver 09-23-2011 04:19 PM

I change my battery every winter plus always carry an extra one in my bag.

EricInNCa 09-23-2011 04:39 PM

My batteries lasted almost 2 years. It's good to practice the PIN entering sequence when at home and not in a panic state...

rhinoWErX 09-23-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by EricInNCa (Post 8853794)
My batteries lasted almost 2 years. It's good to practice the PIN entering sequence when at home and not in a panic state...

Not bad then I guess - I bought the bike new in Jan 2008 - that's over 3.5 years on the original battery.

Anybody know the part/model number of the battery? I'm hoping it's pretty standard and I can just pick one at any Rite Aide or Radio Shack

blacknsilver 09-23-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rhinoWErX (Post 8853955)
Not bad then I guess - I bought the bike new in Jan 2008 - that's over 3.5 years on the original battery.

Anybody know the part/model number of the battery? I'm hoping it's pretty standard and I can just pick one at any Rite Aide or Radio Shack

I just took it up to Walmart and pulled the back off to get number and bought a 2 pack. It's a standard size.

Simmy150 09-23-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by blacknsilver (Post 8853716)
I change my battery every winter plus always carry an extra one in my bag.

Good advice....

Spiro Drummer 09-25-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by rhinoWErX (Post 8853288)
I think I might have been shown that by the dealer when I first bought the bike in 2008 - not sure I remember the steps now though, or my pin...

The steps are in the owner's manual. You'll need the fob to 'reset' your pin if you've forgotten it.