Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Dyna Fat Bob ---no tuner available-- what now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that answered my question, i`m getting a new streetglide at the end of the month and was wondering if the sertp was available yet

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bike will compensate by adding fuel. It will maintain it's original lean program from Harley. Fuel injection isn't like carbs,no need for re-jet.
Pipes and free flow a/c won't cause a lean condition. Well not any leaner than Harley first programmed it

Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
you will be fine just don't change the air cleaner till you can get a tune/tuner. stock air cleaner with your pipes will work. Not as well as if you tuned but you wont hurt the bike and you can enjoy louder pipes that way.
Um no. You can change the a/c. The computer will compensate for the added air by adding fuel. Just because you ad air doesn't mean it will burn lean. The computer is always recalibrating the a/f mix to whatever the factory deemed optimum. Free flow exhaust and air cleaner won't affect anything. The ecu will compensate. It's not a carburetor.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Um no. You can change the a/c. The computer will compensate for the added air by adding fuel. Just because you ad air doesn't mean it will burn lean. The computer is always recalibrating the a/f mix to whatever the factory deemed optimum. Free flow exhaust and air cleaner won't affect anything. The ecu will compensate. It's not a carburetor.
The ECM will make adjustments to part-throttle and idle fueling, but within a very narrow range determined by the VE tables in the stock programming. That being said, the stock bikes are tuned to run very lean in these ranges to pass emissions testing. Additionally, there is up to a 12% variance in the stock fuel injectors.

Adding exhaust won't do much to change the volumetric efficiency, but a high-flow air cleaner setup will. More that what can be compensated for by the stock programming. If a bike has injectors that put out fuel in the lower range of the tolerance, and airflow is increased, a lean condition will occur that the stock ECM cannot deal with. This will cause issues with long term reliability.

At minimum a Stage 1 program should be added.

If you're a fair weather rider and don't care about long-term reliability (20k miles plus), then go right ahead. If not, then don't add the A/C until you have a solution for fueling.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Haides
Intermediate

The Results are in: This is from a 2012 Dyna Fat Bob with the new 2012 stock wideband O2 and new stock 2012 ECM with stock air cleaner. Everything is bone stock with the exception of a V&H Big Radius 2x2 added. This is from my first ride with the pipes just added. 30+ miles on the freeway with moderate-heavy riding and a few hard pulls...

Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Haides
Intermediate

double post...

Last edited by Haides; 11-09-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks lean to me. Should be tan or really light brown. But it could just be the pic

Old 11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spankdog
Looks lean to me. Should be tan or really light brown. But it could just be the pic
I checked the plug before i ran the pipes and it looked the same color to be honest. However there seems to be more deposits on the plug now.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea. Like others have stated, youre probably fine with just the pipes. The ecm is compensating for the pipes within its parameters. Im really not sure about those deposits. Can you tell what they are? Like run them between your thumb and forefinger. Im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in but if they are hard it would make me a lil concerned.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Haides
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spankdog
Yea. Like others have stated, youre probably fine with just the pipes. The ecm is compensating for the pipes within its parameters. Im really not sure about those deposits. Can you tell what they are? Like run them between your thumb and forefinger. Im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in but if they are hard it would make me a lil concerned.
I dont feel anything on the plug, i think it was just some carbon, soot or ash. The white carbon part on the flank is still there but the soot rubbed off.

Quick Reply: 2012 Dyna Fat Bob ---no tuner available-- what now?