Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fat bob ape hanger winter project

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fat bob ape hanger winter project

I needed to get the bars up about 8 inches to suit me so I went with Klock Werks Perfecta 14" apes and Alloy Art 2" risers. The quality on both were exactly as advertised. perfect. I need to order new brake lines, clutch cable (+14) and throttle cables (+14) . I'd like to order OEM cables but upgrade to braided steel brake lines. (black)

The stock bars, hand controls, cables, wires and tank all came off easily. One of the throttle cables was hard to pull out of the housing, so I squirt a few drops of oil inside and it popped right out. I really didn't need to slide the tank back to get at the wires going to the bars. I simply pried out the rubber grommets, removed the wires from inside the frame and disconnected the plugs. There is plenty of wire length so extensions will not be needed. Any bars higher than these and they would need lengthened. The plugs are small enough to slide through the bars so no problems there.

I'm sticking with all the stock stuff except the grips. I mounted the bars and risers and sat on the seat and a big smile came across my face. Perfect height and width. So then i measured the length of the cables over stock and will get those ordered in a few weeks. I'd like black cables. any suggestions?

i will get some pics taken if anyone wants to see them for a reference.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics would be great. I am also thinking about some 12" apes. Dont want to slouch and lean over any more with the stock bars. So i think the apes will help my lower back out but sitting up staighter. Someone suggested to me to get Magnum Shielding Cables. They have a black pearl collection. I mocked up the bars using some 1" pvc so i have an idea on how they will look and feel. Just have to pull the trigger and get them

Attached Thumbnails fat bob ape hanger winter project-100_0609.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

http://magnumshielding.com/brake_lines.htm those brake lines are exactly what i want. build your own sets i might have to get all the control cables here too. black pearl is nice.

Last edited by jo_mama; 12-15-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

here are the bars and risers installed and the other pic is of the wiring where it goes into the frame. the pic of the wiring is turned sideways and the tank is in place.

Last edited by jo_mama; 02-07-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

so the plug for the wires are right behind that gromet. how much did the bars and risers cost ya? the bars i am looking at are road 6 customs 12" apes. then i was thinking of picking up a set of 1.5 or 2" risers with 1 pc top cap. i am just nervous about the whole job. to have to replace the clutch cable. i guess i will have to pull my exhaust so i can get to the trans cover. looks to be 6 allen bolts or so. also to replace the throttle cables and brake line.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:04 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

it's easy as long as you have the right tools like snap ring pliers (very small to large tips), allen wrenches, screw drivers, wrenches and torx screw drivers. don't forget a big hammer to relieve stress. i don't think the exhaust has to come off but if it does it's not that big of a deal. a service manual is a must.

i got the bars on amazon new for 133 bucks and the risers were 200 smackers but they are nice and fit the bike well.

i learned something a long time ago about bikes. plan on spending twice as much money as planned and 10 times more time on a project and you'll be right in the ballpark when you start out.

Last edited by jo_mama; 12-16-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:08 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member

i ordered all the cables and brake lines i needed today from the local indy shop. he gave me 50 bucks off retail. i went with magnum black pearl series. pontiac69, you are to blame for me spending $300 today. i pick them up monday and i'll get some pics up then. are there any other pics of my bike while it's apart that would interest you?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jo_mama
i ordered all the cables and brake lines i needed today from the local indy shop. he gave me 50 bucks off retail. i went with magnum black pearl series. pontiac69, you are to blame for me spending $300 today. i pick them up monday and i'll get some pics up then. are there any other pics of my bike while it's apart that would interest you?
That's funny. Better you spending that much than me right now. I really want some apes but I figure I need to wait till next year befor the season starts. I am still trying to decide which set of apes to get. I was liking the road 6 customs bars but now that I see yours I think I like them better. I looked them up and they are over 200 bucks. Then another 300 for cables and then new grips. Keeps taken pics on the progress.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 AM
MConde85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BR Custom Apes

I got a set of apes from www.brcustomcycles.com (Ape Beaters)
For 800 shipped I got 14inch bars (1 1/4),chrome 2inch risers, wire extensions (internally pre installed), and all magnum cables (black braided with clear sleeve).

Here is a pick of them (sitting on the stock risers before install).

I'm changing out the risers that came with the bars....Cleaner look.-135 shipped. I still have the other chrome oval shaped risers (1 1/4) if anyone wants them make me an offer...

The bars took a few weeks to get (most bars are custom made) so I didn't get to install them before I deployed. On my way home now and looking forward to the winter project!

Thanks for the installation info, I'll have to see if any of my friends have the snap ring tool...

Old 12-17-2011, 06:43 AM
MConde85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apes

Originally Posted by pontiac69
Pics would be great. I am also thinking about some 12" apes. Dont want to slouch and lean over any more with the stock bars. So i think the apes will help my lower back out but sitting up staighter. Someone suggested to me to get Magnum Shielding Cables. They have a black pearl collection. I mocked up the bars using some 1" pvc so i have an idea on how they will look and feel. Just have to pull the trigger and get them
I think you'll find something you like here. brcustomcycles..You could probably get your design made by them also.

Quick Reply: fat bob ape hanger winter project