Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappointed with vance and hines

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
erkblack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappointed with vance and hines

just installed my new v&h chrome pro pipe on 2011 street bob. I might just be bein **** since this is the first brand new bike i have bought and brand new exhaust i have bought. Every thing before this I have built or had a friend help build.
Two problems i have found that are reall eating at me.
#1= where the collecter heat sheild and rear head pipe heat sheild meet together there is 1/8 inch gap between the sheilds, but on the front head pipe to heat sheild to collecter heat sheild there is not a gap. makes it look cheap and not like a $900 exhaust system.
#2= I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the muffler to collecter sealed properly. I postioned the clamp in ever postion possible and even tryed a few clamps that i had at home. but still leaking on the inside of exhaust and blowing right on to my trans.
#3= no where in the instructions list is there torque specs for the mount to trans bolts or exhaust mount flanges to heads. **** like that is really important to a guy like me that works all day building and fixing cadillac motors.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Eddie A.
Cruiser

Subscribed

Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
kpolak
Cruiser

Did you call 'em?

I'm sure they'll help.

Kurt

Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know any about the exhaust leak and placement, never had problem. The heat shield is a known issue, not matter how good your set up is, it opens a gap when it gets hot, I have the same problem every Vance and Hines exhaust I've owned, heat expansion I guess. Give them a call, see what they can do.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what i usually do when i run into a problem like this is start over from the beginning. i know you have to have good mechanical skills by what you do for a living but so do i, and i miss stuff and face palm myself for doing it sometimes too. take the exhaust completely off and follow the instructions to the letter. i always read the instructions 2 or 3 times before i even unpack the pipes. i look at it this way. thousands of other people have bought and installed this exhaust system with great results, otherwise there would be threads all over the place saying how much V & H pipes suck. have a friend come over and take a look at it and see if they can see anything you are missing. it's probably something little that you over looked and you'll face palm yourself after it's done. there is a chance that you got an exhaust that slipped through their quality control system, but i'm sure they can and will help you if that is the case. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by jo_mama; 01-11-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by erkblack
#1= where the collecter heat sheild and rear head pipe heat sheild meet together there is 1/8 inch gap between the sheilds, but on the front head pipe to heat sheild to collecter heat sheild there is not a gap. makes it look cheap and not like a $900 exhaust system.
#2= I spent about 30 minutes trying to get the muffler to collecter sealed properly. I postioned the clamp in ever postion possible and even tryed a few clamps that i had at home. but still leaking on the inside of exhaust and blowing right on to my trans.
#3= no where in the instructions list is there torque specs for the mount to trans bolts or exhaust mount flanges to heads. **** like that is really important to a guy like me that works all day building and fixing cadillac motors.
#1= I run the big shots exhaust so don't really have any feedback for your exhaust

#2= Is there a gasket for this area? If not did you use any copper rtv to seal it up good?

#3= I just went with what the service manual said

Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM
erkblack
Cruiser

havent called them yet. will try email first.
Im goin to pull it all off again tonight and start over, hopefully its some thing stupid causing the leak.
no gasket. but for this price i shouldnt need copper rtv or it should have been inclouded if it was nessicary
Thanks for the feed back. needed to vent and figured u all would help/understand

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Gringoloco13
Road Master

Originally Posted by erkblack
no gasket. but for this price i shouldnt need copper rtv or it should have been inclouded if it was nessicary
I completely understand, but if it is a slip fit joint and doesn't use a gasket I always use copper rtv to seal it. Thinking about it none of the exhausts (cars, trucks, bikes) that I have bought over the years have come with it nor anti seize for the o2 bungs. I guess I am so use to buying it now, I just bought a big container of both and always have some on hand for installs.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
erkblack
Cruiser
Default gringo

gringo , i feel ya on the anti seize and also i am a strong beliver in lock tite, but i have nver used or needed cooper rtv. hoping tonight i can fix what ever the problem is by reinstailling every thing

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
CobraEd
Tourer

If it is a brand new bike as you stated, you probably have catalitic converters in there too. It will sound "different"

Quick Reply: disappointed with vance and hines