Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Cant get wires back into frame after drag bar install!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/740864-cant-get-wires-back-into-frame-after-drag-bar-install.html)

99dyna 03-06-2012 09:09 AM

Cant get wires back into frame after drag bar install!!

I just installed some drag bars on my 99 wg,and Im having a real hard time getting the wires pushed back into the backbone/frame,They go so far and just bunch up and wont budge!!!! Is it just me or is there a trick to it?? I cant get to the bottom side or the end of it back where the battery is to pull em thru... Any suggestions,please!!!!

EricInNCa 03-06-2012 10:06 AM

There may be a cable tie of some sort preventing them from going. I would pull them all out towards the front to see how much wire total you have...and then methodically attempt at folding, rearranging, and tucking them back in. There's quite a bit of room at the front of the frame, under the neck. Maybe you won't end up sliding them way back in the frame as much as folding them so they fit in the front neck area... Something to try nonetheless... Good luck!

rjmac53 03-06-2012 10:30 AM

keep us posted on the fix...

DTDK 03-06-2012 10:44 AM

not sure what year your bike is, but but on my 07 there is a big box of some sort, i am guessing a flassher unit in my wire area under the neck, I personally a fearing stuffing all mine back inside after i get my replacement molex connector body (i helped mine a little to hard, and was an idiot)one thing you may want to do is remove the plastic cap on the bottom of your backbone and try to re arrange the wires starting there.

Stag556 03-06-2012 10:52 AM

I was able to get mine in with some odd folding. They go back in pretty easy, just takes some patience.

99dyna 03-06-2012 10:59 AM

Its a 99,I will pull em all out again and try that! ! Thanks I will keep ya posted!! And any more ideas are appreciated!

PhotoRider 03-06-2012 12:07 PM

The service loop is behind a rubber plug on the rear fender on my 2000 FXDX. You remove the belt guard to get access and then reach up under the fender. This way you can pull the harness rather than push it...

99dyna 03-06-2012 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PhotoRider (Post 9487160)
The service loop is behind a rubber plug on the rear fender on my 2000 FXDX. You remove the belt guard to get access and then reach up under the fender. This way you can pull the harness rather than push it...

Awesome!!! I will def. try this thanks everybody!!!

Robtarra39 03-06-2012 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 99dyna (Post 9487532)
Awesome!!! I will def. try this thanks everybody!!!

Correct on the plastic plug at bottom of fender

8541hog 03-07-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by 99dyna (Post 9486401)
I just installed some drag bars on my 99 wg,and Im having a real hard time getting the wires pushed back into the backbone/frame,They go so far and just bunch up and wont budge!!!! Is it just me or is there a trick to it?? I cant get to the bottom side or the end of it back where the battery is to pull em thru... Any suggestions,please!!!!

With the frame change in 06 the newer bikes can be pushed and folded, 05 and older cannot. You have to pull from under the seat as you push into the neck.
You can do this without removing anything but the seat, it is especially easy if you have an extra set of hands.