Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   This has been discussed, but... Back to stock exhaust (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/758049-this-has-been-discussed-but-back-to-stock-exhaust.html)

Bagger Jim 04-21-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by editbrain (Post 9696619)
Very good options..

I bet the get louder with the CVO 255 install. I bet the stock exhaust sounds better with CVO 255 installs. Any opinions on a stock motor 96", 255 cams, open A/C with stock exhaust will feel like? :-)

Yes, the bike will get louder with the new cams and pull much harder. Don't know about the stock exhaust sound, but you will love the lope at idle and the extra pull.

SBRob 04-21-2012 08:22 AM

I agree with others to use some earplugs instead of changing out the exhaust...they also help with wind noise as well.

Retrop 04-21-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by editbrain (Post 9696474)
Due to inner ear problems, and a noticeable loss in hearing since January. I have pulled the black Thunderheader, and I am putting on my stock exhaust until I find something that will give me a decent flow with little sound.

I know there is a price to pay for performance, but I would rather ride my bike then just look at it because the TH started to make me deaf. The TH was/is a good pipe, but when I wear my FF helmet I get a serious resonance in my inner ear that doesn't go away, and limits my mileage.
If I do not wear the FF, and go with a bandana/ear plugs all is well.

I feel safer when commuting to work by wearing all the gear. SO with gas prices so high, and the issue with me ears....back to stockers for now. 48/50 MPG beats the hell out of my truck @ 15 MPG.

I am still putting in the CVO 255 cams. I should have a serious low end pull running the CVO 255/open air cleaner/stock pipes. Stock pipes pull hard down low.

You have reached the same fork in the road other young folks have come to. Continue to ride with loud pipes or make some changes to keep what hearing you have left. My belief has always been that loud pipes don't save lives as much as they make for deaf old men. I think you have made the right decision as far as opting for a quieter motorcycle.

p51bombay 04-21-2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by maddghost (Post 9697156)
Dude i just changed my bub7 out for a supertrapp supermeg 2:1 and the quiet was actually disconcerting at first. But they are def a quieter system however with lots of low and mid range torque. Even the top end just opens right up. I'm actually quite happy witht the sound now, which will get louder as the wrap burns off. It's a nice respectable low rumble at idle, but when you crack it it actually gets quieter! Did i mention the performance? man it's there, she pulls hard all the way up! directharleyparts.com sent them to me.

Unless they have changed something I don't think it will ever change, I have never heard of a ST system that used packing - it's all about the discs, more discs - more noise, less discs - less noise.

denimbob08 04-21-2012 09:22 AM

right now i have the stock head pipes with python slips ons. pretty loud at idle but quite going down the road. not bad at all in town driving and cant even hear em over 50

darkcvc 04-21-2012 09:27 AM

I wish I had my stock pipes or something else.

I have the Screaming Eagle race pipes, and they are unbelievably loud, which I actually love. The only problem is I leave for work at about 4am, and live on a cul-de-sac, and have to drive through my neighborhood.

I hate being the a-hole in the neighborhood tearing around at 4am in the ridiculously loud motorcycle.

maddghost 04-21-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by p51bombay (Post 9697461)
Unless they have changed something I don't think it will ever change, I have never heard of a ST system that used packing - it's all about the discs, more discs - more noise, less discs - less noise.

There is a definite packing inside that pipe. You are right about the discs, but it has fiberglass packing in there, i just installed it two weeks ago. Gawd i can smell the stuff burning! I would take a pic for you but I ain't gonna take off the discs just for that!

arkstreetbob 04-21-2012 10:33 AM

I have the Supertrapp Supermeg 2:1 and it dose have packing. I have the billet open endcap and it is still quiter than the short exhaust I had. It has a very deep sound. The Supertrapp makes very good power down low and at high rpm. Yes new packing dose smell for a few miles.

thedonthere 04-21-2012 10:53 AM

Ark and Madghost are right....Supertrapp is the way to go for performance and still be relatively quiet compared to most other after market systems. I have one ordered.

icecaps 04-21-2012 11:06 AM

For comparison using the same camera:

SE II on stock pipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SygF...qCxWbk72_mHUM=

Supertrapp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXtIY...vmj0HoMxU8giA=