Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob Leather Pros/Harley Synthetic Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
TXoutlaw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMC
Those look really nice. Also, that "big blue pearl" paint job looks quite nice in that photo as well. Couldn't tell if it was black or just reflecting some nice blue sky tones, then I saw your signature.
Thanks! The metallic really shines in the sunlight.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1414
Are they set up as detachable - if so what hardware did you use?
They are not detachable, but if I ever have to take them off I am going to do the homemade detachable mod I found on this forum where you use threaded rod and acorn nuts.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master

Here are a couple shots of the leather pros on a FXDX along with the small trunk I use on the back fender rack. The HW allows you to use the quick disconnect bushings to attach a rack/sissy bar etc. They give you longer bolts to do that.

I have had Boss and leather pros. Both are very similar in design. The older 31 bosses requires a roller bearing on you bottom shock mounts since the backs are not as ridged as the Leather pro versions. The bottom of the bags rides on this bearing as the shock collapses. The HW a bit nicer looking on the leather pros too. Boss does have a new 35 bag out which mounts very similar to the LP ones, but it cost $200 more now and is 4 beer cans larger. The 31, 35 etc stands for how many 12 oz cans it holds Boss even has a side access version now which really looks old school.

Personally, I prefer leather so the HD version wasn't an option...

Attached Thumbnails Fatbob Leather Pros/Harley Synthetic Saddlebags-imag0045.jpg   Fatbob Leather Pros/Harley Synthetic Saddlebags-imag0046.jpg   Fatbob Leather Pros/Harley Synthetic Saddlebags-imag0052.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink This is all that remains on bike when bags are off.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink Looking directly down

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink rear view

From the fender to the bag is 2 1/4"

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink This is all that remains on bike when bags are off.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink Looking directly down

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink rear view

From the fender to the bag is 2 1/4"
Thanks for all the pics and info folks. tOSUSteve, I assume you don't have a quick detach sissy bar? I do on mine and I don't see the hardware on yours for it. Do you know if the hardware you show on yours would go on the outside of the quick detach hardware, or is there a spacer on yours that will be removed with the quick detach sissy bar. I spoke with Leather Pros, and I thought that's what the person I spoke with said.

BTW, found out LP is out of Wisconsin, can't go wrong with that!!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Billyjo88
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The fact that "synthetic" is in the description, it would eliminate it as an option in my book.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

Your correct I do not have QD sissy bar. The bags came with the hardware that you need if you use a QD sissy bar. I found the instructions & it says "If using HD detachable side plates or solo rack, replace the 1/2" chrome spacers with the HD slotted pieces and use the longer bolts marked 2 1/2"
Hope that helps

Originally Posted by grog_lives
Thanks for all the pics and info folks. tOSUSteve, I assume you don't have a quick detach sissy bar? I do on mine and I don't see the hardware on yours for it. Do you know if the hardware you show on yours would go on the outside of the quick detach hardware, or is there a spacer on yours that will be removed with the quick detach sissy bar. I spoke with Leather Pros, and I thought that's what the person I spoke with said.

BTW, found out LP is out of Wisconsin, can't go wrong with that!!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
Your correct I do not have QD sissy bar. The bags came with the hardware that you need if you use a QD sissy bar. I found the instructions & it says "If using HD detachable side plates or solo rack, replace the 1/2" chrome spacers with the HD slotted pieces and use the longer bolts marked 2 1/2"
Hope that helps
I think I understand. Sounds like what you have on your bike at each attachment point for hardware is a bolt, spacer, and the slotted piece that the bag frame (cam system) sits in. If one has the HD quick detach system, the HD slotted pieces would replace the Leather Pro spacer. I’m assuming the HD piece ends up being longer then the LP spacer, hence the longer 2 ½” bolt. Does this sound correct?

In your opinion, is the distance these bags sit away from the fender unsightly?

How do the bags lock to the bike?

The pics you posted really help as the ones on the LP site were a ways out. Do you by chance have other photos that were taken a few steps back and would show the entire bike from that angle? And from all sides?

Sorry for all the questions, It’s just I’m trying to get over buying things that I wish I’d though more of. I called a HD dealer that gives a 20% discount on these and rep said they sell far more LP’s than any other bag. Funny thing is, heard of very few who have on the fatbob.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

That is exactly what it sounds like to me as well.

I don't think they stick out very far at all, so not unsightly.

Inside each bag are two levers that once you put the bag on, you push the levers down & that "locks" them onto the studs. There is no "lock" such as a pad lock or keyed lock to secure them, so if someone wants them they can get them off really quickly. Now they do have locking lids that will prevent someone from just walking up & taking them off.

I have 3 other pics, not the greatest but they may help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Originally Posted by grog_lives
I think I understand. Sounds like what you have on your bike at each attachment point for hardware is a bolt, spacer, and the slotted piece that the bag frame (cam system) sits in. If one has the HD quick detach system, the HD slotted pieces would replace the Leather Pro spacer. I’m assuming the HD piece ends up being longer then the LP spacer, hence the longer 2 ½” bolt. Does this sound correct?

In your opinion, is the distance these bags sit away from the fender unsightly?

How do the bags lock to the bike?

The pics you posted really help as the ones on the LP site were a ways out. Do you by chance have other photos that were taken a few steps back and would show the entire bike from that angle? And from all sides?

Sorry for all the questions, It’s just I’m trying to get over buying things that I wish I’d though more of. I called a HD dealer that gives a 20% discount on these and rep said they sell far more LP’s than any other bag. Funny thing is, heard of very few who have on the fatbob.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I think the Leather pros are probably one of the best if not the best detachable bags you can buy.I don't think they stick out any where near as far as anything with easy brackets or ghost brackets but mainly because the mounting system is built into the bags.I'm not sure if I can get to pictures of mine right now at work but I'll give it a shot.Sorry, I re read the original post I see you were looking for pictures of these bags on a Fat Bob but here's some of them on my Street Bob to get you going
Do you have the HD quick detach sissy bar setup with the bags?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TXoutlaw
I have the HD synthetic bags. I'm happy with them so far.

You have any rear shots of your bags? Also, when in rain, do the bags keep dry inside?

Quick Reply: Fatbob Leather Pros/Harley Synthetic Saddlebags