Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Wheelup
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default "Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel

For my 07 FXD I got in the EBC MD516x full floating rotor for $138 online (Amazon) and had a Nissin 4 piston caliper off a Honda CBR1100. Any Jap 4 piston caliper (as long as it's not a "radial" mount) will do and are readily available on Ebay or Craigslist for under $100. I had Fabricator Kevin make me a bracket. (he has some for other Jap calipers like Tokico and Nissin readily available on his site and does great work and is fast and always answers the phone) I had a PM and a Jay Brake 6 piston caliper with the stock rotor and with the EBC rotor, and this by far stops way smoother and with more "feel" in the lever along with predictability. I still use the stock reservoir but, will be changing it just for S&G to a larger one. So basically you can upgrade your brakes from the crappy stock HD to great brakes for about $300.

Attached Thumbnails "Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel-mail.jpeg   "Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel-photo-1-1.jpg   "Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel-mail-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Wheelup; 08-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:41 AM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be following your lead on this one. I know fabkevin made brackets for this but brakes have been left for the end of the long to do list. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:01 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty cool. I'll have to look into this. I've been wanting to upgrade my brakes for a while now.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:42 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who's kevin and what brake exactly did you get this is my next mod after my cam goes in,

What about hoses do they match or do you need different sizes at each end?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==
who's kevin and what brake exactly did you get this is my next mod after my cam goes in,

Read The Horse Backstreet Choppers. He's a fabricator who has made quite a name for himself.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Wheelup
Banned

Originally Posted by ==ShaDoW==

Fabkevin.com
I used the stock length replacement steel braided line that was on there.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 373 Posts

does it have to be a front and rear caliper. could i use 2 fronts?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Wheelup
Banned

Originally Posted by gartec81
does it have to be a front and rear caliper. could i use 2 fronts?
???????? I just changed the single left front. If you have dual disc up front, this would be a great upgrade too to use both. I have the right available if anyone needs one.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

well you hooked me... i have this caliper already just need the mount. i want to use the stock rotor as i already coated mine... that mount he made up for you would that work with a stock rotor? i just shot him a email to see if he could make me up a mount rather than me having to go through the BS of figuring this out myself hahahaha thanks for the post man this is great!!! i was about to tear apart my calipers for powder coating as it was, least this way i can do an upgrade as well!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I still support my Brembo bagger caliper upgrade over this as it cost less (depending on what you find) and has no need for an extra bracket. $200 for both calipers for me. Depending on the year of your Dyna and the size of the front rotor (11.8" is recommended) you might ant to do that too although it is not absolutely necessary. These calipers are day and night from the stock Harley's on my 2002 Dyna.

It is great to see another option as well.

Quick Reply: "Cheap" 4 piston brake and full floating rotor upgrade on stock cast wheel