Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FL-ViED-10

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL-ViED-10

I ordered the ViED for my '12 FLD. I'm thinking I should have got the XiED because I'm not planning on removing my CAT. I do want to drill out the plug in my stock exhaust before I decide on a slip on since I can convert the stock exhaust back to factory specs with a couple washers. I mostly want to richen up the fuel on my lean stock setup. nightrider.com recommended the Vied for running no CAT stock set up, or full pipes/open A/C since the ViED is adjustable. Does anybody know if leaving the CAT will hurt with the ViED set up?

Last edited by odie-in-az; 12-04-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:21 PM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The good thing about the vieds is that they are adjustable. So this way if you change the stock ac to a performance one or a full exhaust you can dial in the fuel needed. I ran my vieds before I pulled my cat and now still running them with no cat..

Old 12-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are both a crude adjustment and I'd not worry whether you fitted either to a stock bike, one with a cat, or one without.

I personally prefer the Xieds because you know what you are getting: an adjustment to the O2 sensor bias that is just on the safe side of the max bias.

The Vieds allow for adjustment outside of the operational range and its unlikely the O2 sensors will be functioning anything like they should at the Vieds' max setting. You also have no idea what AFR you will get with adjusting the Vieds as the bias is very non-linear, with all the change near the end of the adjustment. You could very easily, with just a very small adjustment, change from running the O2 sensors outside their operational range to where the Vieds are doing practically nothing.

Last edited by Foxster; 12-05-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
They are both a crude adjustment and I'd not worry whether you fitted either to a stock bike, one with a cat, or one without.

I personally prefer the Xieds because you know what you are getting: an adjustment to the O2 sensor bias that is just on the safe side of the max bias.

The Vieds allow for adjustment outside of the operational range and its unlikely the O2 sensors will be functioning anything like they should at the Vieds' max setting. You also have no idea what AFR you will get with adjusting the Vieds as the bias is very non-linear, with all the change near the end of the adjustment. You could very easily, with just a very small adjustment, change from running the O2 sensors outside their operational range to where the Vieds are doing practically nothing.
Please explain how the O2 sensor will be operating outside it's range when all an Xied or Vied does is create a voltage drop between the O2 sensor and EMC ?
The sensor is still detecting the O2 in the exhaust, it merely tells the EMC that the mixture is slightly leaner than it really is.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 AM
BMyers
Road Master
Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

From Nightrider.com about the Vied operation:

The VIED's were specifically designed to work within the 'working' range of the narrow band O2 sensors. While it is a correct statement that NBO2 sensors are not linear, the primary adjustment range of 25 to 75% enrichment was designed to be quite linear.
The O2 sensors actually do not care what the setting of the VIED might be. It is actually the closed loop bias table values in the ECM that determine the real change if injector opening times when XIED/VIED are installed. Understanding how these bias values can change ECM behavior in a closed loop system are key to XIED technology.

But if you want to simplify things, the XIED is nothing more than a VIED set at 75%, Bikes with the converter removed need to be set at 25-50% rich. I never recommend setting a VIED at 100% on any bike because of the non-linear response and the ECM seldom responds by richening the fuel mixture across the entire closed loop range when it is set at 100%.
Riders that follow our guidelines are typically going to get the best overally results.

But we also designed the VIED so Rider's can experiment on their own. While the sweet spot on the VIED is the 25-75 range, it is adding fuel at 'zero' . This was specifically designed into the VIED so a rider that accidently set the device to '0' would get just under 2% more fuel. In the same manner, we designed the 100% to allow experimenting, give the proper upper limit for 75, but (hopefully) not push the ECM into open loop mode at heavier throttle settings if HD did tuning in the bias tables.

The VIED is neither a scalpel or a hammer, but can be used as either. It actually is quite precise.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
S&P Mullen Enterprises, Inc.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 181 Likes on 140 Posts

i am running the vied's on my 12' FLD...
after fine tuning over the period of a few weeks i found it is best
when i run the front at 60% and the rear at 70%..

rear cylinder runs cooler, and fuel mileage loss was minimal.. when i went richer
on them i had a larger MPG decrease and no real improvement in throttle response..

running a V&H slip on and crossbones stock AC